Exactly one week, and not phased | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Exactly one week, and not phased Exactly one week, and not phased

Unread 04-15-2003, 06:31 AM
Exactly one week, and not phased

Hi sisters,
My TAH is for next Wednesday at 8:15 (I just looked at the clock and it is 8:15 right now!) I actually have to keep reminding myself that I am having major surgery next week. Actually they wanted to do it today, but my daughter is turning 3 this Friday. I have so much to do this week that doesn't even pertain to the surgery. I have to clean for the b-day party, I have appointments out me wazoo, it is going to be contant running. Is it really odd for me not to even we thinking about it, or worried about it? I think in one way having a really busy week (which is so unusual) is good because it keeps me from dwelling on the fact that my life is going to be altered for a very long time next week, but on the other hand shouldn't I be preparing myself mentally for all this? I have a feeling the morining of, while I am on my way to the castle or sitting on me throne (not the toilet, the bed), I will loose it. Anyone else go through this? I just might have a few circuts blown, but I am not sure if this is a good or a bad thing.
Love and to all of you,
Abby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2003, 07:01 AM

I don't think it is odd at all that you are not stressing.

I've felt much like that since I set the date. Even now I'm not really worrying or upset and I leave for the castle in about 45 minutes.

I was expecting to be really hyper by now and I'm not, I guess some of us just react like this. It has to be better than getting upset and stressed.

Good luck.
Unread 04-15-2003, 08:07 AM

I'm not really stressing about the surgery itself. However, I'm having Easter at my house on Sunday, and I have a ton to get ready before that. My oldest turns 22 on Thursday, and I was out of town all last weekend, so I feel like I have enough to keep me busy so I don't dwell on it. I've had major surgery several times, so I know what to expect, so I guess that's one reason I'm okay with the whole thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2003, 10:03 AM
Hi Abby

You may not lose it. We all handle things differently. I found it helpful to live my pre-op life normally and do fun things. A lot of fellow sisters considered it way more important to have their houses spotless. (My house was clean enough and I have an able-bodied and willing DH who was home for a few days with me pos-op.) For me, it was more important to have fun with family and friends, and talk about it as I felt like it. I didn't feel like it was something I had to psyche myself up for - after all, I only had to lie there. Not being stressed or obsessed about it is probably a very good thing.

I don't think you'll lose it at the end, but I bet you'll have a bit of anxiety.

Enjoy your daughter's birthday!!!
Unread 04-15-2003, 10:19 AM
Don't be anxious, Abby

Abby,
I think I felt rather like you pre-hyst. I was busy getting things ready that needed done and did not have a lot of time to sit and worry about what was going to happen.
Of course, when I thought about it, I was concerned about the recovery period and how much of a change it would make in my life.
When the day came, I was rather calm. This is so unlike me prior to surgery that it rather scared me. But, it was like I had done all my research, got the best doctor for me, and lay the rest at God's feet. I was nervous prior to the big roll in (mostly due to another surgery running overtime and no place to take me) but not in panic mode, at all.
You will be fine and the lack of nervousness is not a bad thing. Abby, the view from this side is better each day!
Unread 04-15-2003, 05:53 PM

I found that the closer I got to my date, the calmer I was. I spent so much time researching and stressing and making my decisions, that once I made them, things only got better. And right about the 1 week before point, I was so relaxed about it. I kept thinking, should I be doing something to get ready? But there wasn't really anything to do. I am not one to worry about cleaning the house, my DH does most of it anyway, as well as the grocery shopping. He had already stocked up on all my favorite foods, and I had everything ready to take to the hospital - I got some great suggestions from this site. It will be over before you know it.
Unread 04-15-2003, 06:50 PM

Hya,
I was due to have T.A.H. on the 23rd but have now been
resheduled to go in on the 21st and to have the op on the
22nd i think?
I have also been busy, as I had a big party to organise for my 40th birthday which was on the 11th, and so that took my mind off everything, but since i went to the hospital yesterday for my pre-op exam it seems to have brought everything back to the present.
I must admit to getting very nervous now, I seem to be snapping at everyone, and just want to get it over and done with .
I wish you and everyone else all the best. and I will be thinking of you all next week.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register