Looking for help for my 72 yr old friend facing hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Looking for help for my 72 yr old friend facing hysterectomy Looking for help for my 72 yr old friend facing hysterectomy

Unread 08-05-2003, 03:31 PM
Looking for help for my 72 yr old friend facing hysterectomy

To All,

I have a friend who is 72 and she has recently been spotting. She went to the doctor who did an ultrasound and found a mass in her uterus and one side of ther uterus thicker than the other. He wants her to have a hysterectomy. She is not computer literate at all and asked that I get her some support for women her age faced with hysterectomy or who have already had a hysterectomy.

Any experiences or support you can offer would be appreciated. I can give her practical experience from my own hysterectomy, but I don't know if things are different when you are older.

's and 's Luv, Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2003, 04:39 PM

My Aunt was 74 when she had hers. She had a benign tumor the size of a grapefruit. She did very well with it - the anesth. was a little rough, but that was in part because she had a problem with a heart valve. I would suggest someone staying with her, just in case. My cousin stayed & was able to alert the nurse to her breathing changing. She seemed to recoup in the same amount of time that any of us who are younger do. She lives near the beach and refused to have the surgery done until after "beach season" was over for the year. Had it done in October and was back out on the beach the following spring. I do remember her griping because her Dr. told her to walk everyday. (She said she did her walking in the stores in the mall and that was enough!) Anyway, she's doing great. She has one spot on her incision that still feels a little 'tingly', but that can happen to anyone at any age.
Unread 08-05-2003, 04:50 PM

((((((Star)))))))),

Here is a thread from friends without faces by mature ladies.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=108686

Perhaps you can pm them and be a go between for your friend.

You are a good friend to do this.

Best wishes,

Pamcat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2003, 08:01 PM

My grandmother was in her 70s when she had a hsyterectomy. I was at her house and she yelled for me to come in the bathroom, because she was spotting blood and it scared her. when she raised up off the toilet, her uterus was hanging out of her. I called 911 and she had emergency surgery. That was back in the late 70s. She did real well after surgery. Since the 70s the medical field has come along way. I'm sure your friend will come thru it, without any problems.
Unread 08-05-2003, 10:05 PM

StarBadooba~

My grandmother had her surgery 10 yrs ago at the age of 72. The doctors were amazed at how well she did and her recovery was as "normal" as could be. She will be 82 on Sept. 11th and she is as fiesty as ever.

All the best to your friend.

Donna

Donate blood, the life you save may be your own!
Unread 08-05-2003, 11:33 PM

My mom had a hysterectomy when she was 72. She also had a hip replaced 6 months before and the other I think 4 months after. She asked absolutely no questions but that works for her. She asked her doctor what he did this year so I would know before mine. She had some type of mesh put in to hold everything in place. Her recuperation was uneventful. The first hip was worse as far as recuperation. She is allergic to penicillin, is hypothyroid and most certainly not a walker. She is 84 now and doing quite well otherwise. She does have some bladder leaking but is not in pain and not interested in further surgery. Her husband passed away two years ago. She had to be more independent the last five years as he was not well. Although that was stressful, it was better for her as she had to be more mobile. And that helped her hips and I beleive her overall health.
But then why should I push her? She is 84! Living alone and doing fine. I hope to be that way too!! She has no computer and lives on the other side of the country or I am sure she would be here offering support also.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register