incision is infected | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

incision is infected incision is infected

Unread 08-04-2005, 04:46 PM
incision is infected

Hi, I am 2 weeks post op and have bleeding and "ooze" from my incision. Doc put me on antibiotic. What happens next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2005, 05:12 PM
infection too

hi there...i am 2 weeks post-op also! I had my tubes tied 4 mos ago and i too at 2 weeks got an infection. it started out with me running a fever and around my incision it started getting hard and the hardness kept spreading...i called the doc and he too put me on an antibiotic...a few days later i went to bed and when i turned over onto my side i noticed the bed was soaked...terrified,thinking that my incision was wide open but too afraid to look, my son drove me to the emergncy room...it ended up there was only a pin size opening...but the infection kept filling up and finally burst the incision to let it drain...the experience was alot more scary than it should have been...the nurses gentally pushed on my stomach to drain as much as they could and then a doc walked in holding a 2ft long string of gauze and i remembered from having my wisdom teeth packed what it was for...i got really upset thinking it was going to hurt like...but i didnt feel a thing...he even cut the incision open enough to pack it and i couldnt believe he wasnt even going to numb me...but i didnt feel it or feel it coming out a few days later...i stayed on the meds and it cleared up the rest...doc said it was caused by the numbing meds they fill you with during surgery...didnt get that done this surgery and no infection...yet...just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesnt keep getting bigger and bigger ( it sounds like yours is draining on its own)good luck
Unread 08-04-2005, 05:22 PM
incision is infected

I have been having major pain and incision has been draining since day 1 - and almost went to the er last night... took pain meds and was able to hold off and call the dr. 1st thing this am and I went to the DR this morning!

I have an infection - and running a fever!!!

She opened my incision - OUCH!!! and then packed it - MORE OUCH!!! Then gave me a shot in the bottom and gave me a script for CIPRO. I have to pull the packing out - slowly - about an inch a day and cut it off!

She is hoping this is why I am having so much pain!! I hope so too! Maybe it will get better!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2005, 07:09 PM
incision is infected

I, too, have an infection in my incision. They found 2 bacterias in the culture took last week. I have not had any more oozing in about a week - but everytime I shower there is a bit of blood when I dry. It never gets to the pad I put on it during the day, but still that little bit of blood makes me nervous. It is all about having something open on us I think. It just is not normal.
Unread 08-04-2005, 07:18 PM
incision is infected

I too had an infection but the doctor in ER didn't pack it with gauze, he just left it open with a dressing on top and let it drain. Although my drainage was substantial (about 8 to 12 oz). I was then put on 5 days of IV antibiotic and then 10 days of oral antibiotic. I am really hoping this does the trick. My incision is still draining and will probably continue to do so until all the infection is cleared up. The hole in my incision split to about an inch long. I hope you feel better soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register