Scheduled TAH Stairs | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Stairs

Hello Ladies -

I am scheduled for TAH on December 15th, After reading everything and anything about my "hyster" I realized that I have to walk the stairs to our 3rd floor condo. My husband and step sons said they will carry me up, but hey I am not comfortable with that either! The steps are not that high so I should be able to walk up and rest or at least lean back and have them push me up. Other family members wants me to come stay with them but I want my own bed.

Any suggestions for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Re: Stairs

Hi Veeroni24! I'm also having my TAH on the 15th. My condo is on the second floor and I had the same fear. From what I've read I'm going to just take it very slow, one step at a time, and I should be fine. Once I'm up though I don't plan on going back down for a few weeks. I agree that being carried might be a lot more painfull. One lady said that she sat on her butt and went up the stairs backwards and that was the easiest. But I'm sure carpet made all the difference, outside stairs are cold concrete!
Unread 12-07-2010, 08:21 AM

Your condos don't have elevators?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2010, 08:30 AM

Not in Florida. Only if you live in a highrise. I would love an elevator when I come home with groceries!
Unread 12-07-2010, 08:32 AM

Hmmm there has got to be a way for you guys to deal with those stairs. Take it real slow and it it hurts too much sit down. Let your husbands grumble all they might but just please be careful.
Unread 12-07-2010, 08:33 AM

Unfortunately, not in Chicago either- the ordiance is if it's under 4 floors- no elevator is required. Yes, it sucks when it comes to shopping, but with teenage sons- I do not carry anything at all (smile). Yes, we have carpet as well, so I may try that. I do not plan on coming back down again once I am up unless it's an emergency.
Thanks for insight- I will try that.
Unread 12-07-2010, 08:41 AM

My stairs are outside in the breezeway so sitting on them will be my last resort! My boyfriend will probably carry me against my will as I screem in protest. It's hard to win an argument when he can just pick you up and carry you back into the bedroom.
Unread 12-07-2010, 12:53 PM

I am having tah/bso on Dec. 13. I will also have to deal with stairs. I asked my doctor at pre-op yesterday and she said that it should not be a problem if I go slow. I also had to deal with stairs after my 2nd c-section and it was not too bad then. Good luck with your surgeries!
Unread 12-07-2010, 12:57 PM

What if you sit in a wooden chair or something along those lines and your support team grabs back of chair and the legs? I think that would work as a means for you to stay in a neutral position
Unread 12-07-2010, 01:34 PM

Talk to your doctors, of course, but I think you'll find that the biggest danger with stairs is going down. You may be a little wobbly from pain meds as you return home, so going up will be interesting. Unless you're in really bad shape, going up should use your legs. Going DOWN, on the other hand, creates a jarring landing. I really think it's that which is the reason for the stairs warning.

If you have to go down stairs, try taking it backwards. You'll control the landing on the next step down much better if you go this way.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register