Coming off birth control hormones | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Coming off birth control hormones Coming off birth control hormones

Unread 11-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Coming off birth control hormones

This isn't something I've actually thought about until today (and I am 5 days out from surgery- yikes!). I have been on progestin based birth control (Implanon or the shot) as far back as I can remember so my body is very used to these hormones. I am having a partial hysterectomy (keeping cervix) and so my body is going to go through the shock of not only that, but also not having those hormones. Has is that going to affect me? I think my husband is worried I am going to be a ragin *****! haha. Just curious how everyone else did coming off the BC at the time of the hysterectomy. Thanks Sisters! Not sure what i would do without this site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Re: Coming off birth control hormones

I'm on Depo Provera shot and mine will be wearing off in December. Not sure how my hormones are going to react as I will be removing my overies with my hysterectomy November 14. Slamming right into menopause and unable to take hrt because I'm BRCA2positive. You raise a good question. I hadn't thought of how my body will react! Guess I'll find out soon! Good luck to you! Hugs!
Unread 11-11-2011, 02:50 PM

I'm doing completely fine so far. I was on continuous birth control for over 8 years to control my stage III endometriosis (which I had for over 10 years). The birth control pills never helped my pain and after age 35 I developed high blood pressure due to their use. So had to take blood pressure medication in addition to the continuous hormones. I had my DaVinci hysterectomy on 9-20-11 and have been on Prometrium since then (doctor says I have to take it for 6 months). My blood pressure has lessened and now my blood pressure medication has been reduced by half! I have had no moodiness or PMS type symptoms. Hope this info helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2011, 03:43 PM

Going off the birth control pill caused me a lot of PMS issues I had never dealt with before. It was quite an experience though over time I have adjusted. We also found that it had probably kept more of my endometriosis symptoms at bay than we had realized.

There really isn't any way to know exactly how your body will react but whatever happens know that you will need to give it some time. It could take awhile for your ovaries to function normally because of your prior use of hormones and having the blood supply to them interrupted.

Unread 11-11-2011, 03:52 PM

I've taken birth control for many years. I took my last one the day before my surgery. The half finished pack still sits in my medicine cabinet because I can't bear to throw them out. I noticed no major effects from suddenly stopping them. At four months out I am just now noticing an increase in my PMS symptoms, but it's not that big a deal.
Unread 11-11-2011, 07:02 PM

Hi, I stopped taking the pill the night before my surgery last year. I didnt have any real issues with stopping, I had been on the pill for about 20 years!!!! I started taking the pill non stop a few years before my surgery to help with all my issues of heavy bleeding. The only thing that I noticed after surgery is that my complexion has worsened. The pill really did help to control my acne but I am now using some rx topicals that are working quite well. I feel alot better since I am off the pill and have had my hysterectomy. Good luck to you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register