No bowel prep for tah-bso | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No bowel prep for tah-bso No bowel prep for tah-bso

Unread 06-02-2011, 12:33 PM
No bowel prep for tah-bso

I had to go get blood work done Wednesday for my surgery on Monday the 6th. I asked about the bowel prep. Come to find out I dont need a bowel prep. I was shocked to find this out. I dont know if this is common practice or not. I went up to the doctors office and asked and sure enough they said no. Just nothing to eat or drink after midnight. If this is right woo hoo. I am more than happy. I dont mind the missing of the bowel prep no way. But if it is wrong and someone messed up and didnt tell me right and I go in on Monday morning all ready for surgery and cant have surgery because of no bowel prep I am gonna be madder than one wet hornet. I have been through alot of emotional ups and downs waiting for this surgery to happen and wasnt even sure I would go through it to begin with. Now that I that I have gotten myself with the help my Hyster Sisters ready for this surgery it will really be a big let down if someone messed up about the bowel prep. Has anyone else not had to have a bowel prep for a total abdominal hysterectomy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Re: No bowel prep for tah-bso

No bowel prep for me either. Although I did eat light meals for a day or two before in anticipation of the constipation that would follow surgery/pain meds.
Unread 06-02-2011, 12:40 PM

I didn't have one either. It was optional to take 3 laxative pills after my last meal, which I did. I didn't want to be constipated after surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2011, 12:41 PM

No bowel prep here either. I thought it was odd too once I read on here that so many people had to do it. I'm so glad I didn't have to after reading how much it sucks, lol.

I did just take it easy and try to limit bulky foods like pasta and meat. Also salad sticks around for a long time, so I didn't eat that either. Anything to make my post op BM's easier, as I had heard about the struggles with that. So enjoy!
:0)
Unread 06-02-2011, 12:53 PM

I didn't have to do a bowel prep with my LAVH either.
Unread 06-02-2011, 01:24 PM

I didn't have to do bowel prep either....my understanding is that it depends on your doctor's preference.

Best of luck to you!
Unread 06-02-2011, 01:47 PM

I asked my doc about this very topic and he said he doesn't have patients having an abdominal procedure do a bowel prep because during the operation they pack material around the bowel to protect it while the surgery is taking place.

He does have a mandatory bowel prep for any other type (laprascopic or vaginal).

I am sure physicians vary as well as hospital protocols so don't be surprised if you are asked to something different.
Unread 06-02-2011, 03:10 PM

Hello, Cabcat!! Have to drink Magnesium Citrate on Sunday!! I guess it does help for keeping things clean and reduction of infection when they open you up...can't hurt as I see it. I would call your doctor up to make sure you understood everything right or that'll nerve you up even more. My added directions were to have a clear liquid diet the day before as well and then of course, nothing after midnight. For me, though, they are doing some exploratory so maybe that has something to do with it!! It's the countdown, isn't it? I'm soo pigging out on Saturday!! LOL!!
Unread 06-02-2011, 05:21 PM

cabcat -

I had a TAH BSO, and had to do a bowel prep. It may be doctor preference, but I was also told that it keeps the surgery area clean. There was also cancer potential with me, as I has a large ovarian mass with numerous uterine fibroids (thankfully, turned out to be benign cyst and all fibroids benign). I do not know if that had anything to do with it either.
Unread 06-02-2011, 07:03 PM

I hope I dont have to have a bowel prep...but might do one anyways since I am not a regular person.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register