Stairs after Hyst? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stairs after Hyst? Stairs after Hyst?

Unread 05-05-2004, 07:16 PM
Stairs after Hyst?

My bedroom is up 15 steps. There are 6 steps up into my house. I live in my bedroom, which is really huge. I have my TV, quilting and sewing table permanently set up. I sew every day.

I have heard on this site that some systers were allowed to climb the steps once a day after surgery.

My bathroom that I shower in is on the main floor. I want to sleep in my own bed after the hyst, my bed is lower to the floor than all the others.

My question is, will I be able to climb the steps after a TAH and tummy tuck?

Should I re-arrange my whole life to be downstairs? My sewing room is permanently set up. I live to sew and quilt. Anyone else out there do steps right after, and if so, how did you do?

Am I deluding myself? Huh? What should I do?

Sheanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Stairs after Hyst?

I had surgery on Tuesday and came home Thursday. When I got home I climbed the steps to the bedroom and to be honest I could not tell any difference from any other day in my life. It did not hurt or anything. I was a little scared of coming down the steps being on pain medicine I worried a little about falling. My DH went down in front of me and held my hand and it was fine. I held the handrail and went slow but I do not think it hurt me.
Unread 05-05-2004, 07:48 PM
Stairs after Hyst?

Sheanie

I was allowed to take the stairs once a day (up and down, with time in between trips) for the first week. Then it was upped to twice Once day during the second week, I went up and down about four times and learned very quickly that it wasn't a very good idea to overdo the stairs right away.

Check with your doctor and see what his/her guidelines are. If you are allowed to use the stairs, go sideways one step at a time. Put one foot on a stair, bring the other foot to that stair...and so on. It's a good idea to have someone behind you at first because, if you're like I was, your balance is going to be off that first week or so. Remember to take it slow and easy.

s
Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2004, 08:36 PM
Stairs after Hyst?

I had my hyst on Wednesday and went home Friday. I went up the stairs on the first day and did just fine.
Unread 05-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Stairs after Hyst?

Sheanie,
Thanks for asking this question!!! I have been wondering the same since my bed, bath, and everything are also upstairs.

Sounds like we will need to use our once daily trips down very wisely.

Best of Luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register