fibroids and back pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

fibroids and back pain fibroids and back pain

Unread 03-24-2005, 10:26 AM
fibroids and back pain

Hello
I found out I have fibroids during my pelvic in January. Have had two ultrasounds so far, two fibroids diagnosed, one inside the uterus, the other outside. I have been having some back pain, and while not continually severe, every once in a while, I do suffer with sciatica. My doctor is sure the fibroids are causing my back pain. I had a D and C on 3/17, and he removed the interior fibroid along with some polyps and other tissue. I have gotten the results and while not cancerous, they're rather strange. My uterus is very enlarged, and the fibroid on the outside of the uterus is larger than my doctor thought. Originally he diagnosed it as the size of a tennis ball and did not say how much bigger it was. Because my uterus is severely tipped, it and the fibroid are pushing into my backbone. My doctor thought by removing the fibroid inside, it might relieve the backpain somewhat. Since I have had the D and C, I have now been experiencing constant pain in my tailbone and cannot tolerate sleeping on my back. My doctor says this is nothing to worry about. I will see my doctor in a couple of weeks for a follow-up, and I think we'll be discussing what to do next. Because of migraines I cannot take birth control pills. He did suggest hormones but thought they might give me migraines too. He has suggested a hysterectomy if the D and C doesn't help with the back pain. Has anyone ever had anything like this? If so, how long did it take for your back pain to alleviate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2005, 12:25 PM
fibroids and back pain

Hi Winnie! I too have fibroids and a tipped uterus. I will be seeing a dr for my yearly checkup on Monday to see how the little aliens are doing. I have 6 fibroids. I know that the biggest 1 (a year ago) is sitting right next to my bowels and back. I seem to have constant pain/pressure in my back now. Not enough to shed tears but enough to make me arch my back and rub it like an old lady. I think that I share the same doubts that you do
about how to get rid of the backpain. I have to say that the 1 thing that has helped me decide on a hyst was an old MRI from
18 months ago. I can actually see this very round uterus right
under my spine. Right where your back takes that lovely turn
for your behind. It just seems to me that because my uterus is already pointed in that direction, my U and Fib really dont' have anywhere else to grow. So they are pressing on everything back there. Well I don't think I can live like that for the next 50 years so I'll be happy if they take the aliens and their 3 story condo out.
I kinda wish that this new dr will ask for another MRI and we can
do a comparison. Then I could really see the difference.
Unread 03-26-2005, 09:46 PM
fibroids and back pain

I can understand what you're going through with this back pain.
I had a Thermachoice ablation and a DNC in August. I had the procedure for my heavy, clotting periods that came every 2-3 weeks which made me anemic. It took over a year to get my hemoglobin up to 11. It still was only 11.4 last time I had it checked. I wish my doctor would have removed my fibroid during the procedure, I didn't know that could be done. Of course at the time, my fibroids were the same size and had not changed. It has grown from golfball size to grapefruit since the ablation. I think it had more room to grow after the uterus was cleaned out. I plan on asking that question when I go back. Since yours was removed maybe it is the one on the outside that is still causing your pain. I feel like I have an ovarian cyst, especially during ovulation. I have had two before. He said not this time, that it is the fibroid.

My doctor told me before my DNC and ablation that it would not help with any back pain. He was right, because after my ablation my back pain continued. I asked him if he could x-ray my back and make sure nothing was wrong. I told him I live on heating pads and he said he was sure my back pain was menstrual related. He suggested I have the hysterectomy. I've tried to put it off but I'm sick of this back pain. I am hoping that once the uterus and fibroids are gone that this back pain will go away. I will still have to deal with chronic pelvic pain because of IC. Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2005, 10:07 AM
fibroids and back pain

Hi Winnie,

Of course I can't tell you if hysterectomy will work for you, however, want to share with you my experience with tailbone pain. As my fibroids grew larger (to about a grapefruit size) my pain and discomfort got worse. Six months before my hysterectomy the pain became chronic. I had my LSH on 1/28 and when I woke up in recovery, the pain was completely gone. I have not felt a problem in that area since.

I know you will make the right decision. We'll all be here to support you.

Good luck,

Linda
Unread 03-27-2005, 03:56 PM
fibroids and back pain

Hi Winnie -
I've been dealing with on and off sciatica and leg pain from fibroids for quite a while. Receiving bodywork helps keep everything "mobile". If you have in your area an Osteopathic Physicians (DO's) who include hands-on manipulation in their practice, find one and go ASAP! Also, a good chiropractor, Rolfer, or massage therapist can help with your body's attempts to compensate. I went out on an hour hike today with no leg or back pain, where 2 years ago I couldn't walk 10 minutes without pain.

I'm seriously considering a hyster as my 5 fibroids are on a slow-growth path, and I just don't think I'm going to beat them to menopause without increased discomfort. HOWEVER, I do feel better today than I did 18 months ago, due to regular bodywork.

Jennifer

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register