Swelly Belly Band questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swelly Belly Band questions Swelly Belly Band questions

Unread 12-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Swelly Belly Band questions

Hi Ladies,

I've been checking out the Swelly Belly Band and have a few questions. I was told in my discharge instructions to keep my incision DRY, but this band says it is a cold and WET product. How do I reconcile the two ideas?

Also, my incision has not been itchy or sore, so do I really need this or should I just get the Abdominal Binder or a Support Panty instead? My discomfort feels more internal and my belly feels really tender. I am just feeling like I need some support. Right now I've been holding my tummy every time I walk around the house, but I don't think I'll want to do that when I go out in public, LOL.

Thanks!
mrs. darcy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2008, 09:00 PM

Hi,

I have not used the belly band, but I know some here have used it. You can do a Search, by putting in swelly belly band and some past threads on it will come up.

Hope you find a solution and some comfort.

s
Unread 12-28-2008, 02:25 AM

Hey there -

I looove my swelly belly!! I use it all the time but never wet. What I did was activate it in ice water like the instructions say, then wrapped it well in saran wrap and placed it in the freezer. Once frozen, I wear it on the outside of my clothes (sweats). It gives great support and the coolness feels awesome. If you do this, freeze it with a slight curve so it bends around your waist. I have not had to reactivate mine in almost two weeks. When it thaws, just stick it back in the freezer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2008, 10:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

Do you wear it all day or just for a short while?

I'm still debating whether I really need it or if I can get by with just the ab binder or a support panty.
Unread 12-29-2008, 12:25 AM

Well, I would say that I used it much more in the first week post-op. I would use it until it completely thawed and then I would put it in the freezer for an hour or two. When it was frozen I put it back on. I use it a lot now but I no longer feel like my "security blanket is in the dryer" when I have to put it back in the freezer for a while.

I don't wear the support panties so I am not sure about whether or not they would be better. My Dr advised me against using an ab binder because he said it would keep my abs from doing what they needed to do (?). Hope you find something that helps!
Good Luck and Great Healing!
Unread 12-29-2008, 01:19 PM

After the initial wetting of the swelly belly band I kept mine in the freezer I did not wear it directly on my incision but over a skirt or a t-shirt. I LOVE IT as it gives support and cooling relief from achiness. it does not sweat when you keep it in the freezer and then wear it, but you must lay it flat or it will freeze in whatever shape you leave it. The coolness last longer that way You will have to re-wet it periodically as the 'swelly' decreases in the band, but I could not have gone without it. I could see wearing it with the abdominal band even, but they gave me one that was way too big in the hospital(55-72 inches and I have a 30 inch waist!!!!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register