Problem with bm, gas, phantom period pain, and peeing | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Problem with bm, gas, phantom period pain, and peeing Problem with bm, gas, phantom period pain, and peeing

Unread 11-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Problem with bm

My surgery was Oct 28. I had a full hysterectomy with tubes and ovaries. I had the da Vinci. I felt great up until day 4. On day 5 I felt horrible with severe pain in the intestines when passing gas or a bm. I was not constipated but had pain a couple minutes before the bm. It was so bad I went to the ER. I was giving a colase and all was better -so it seemed. I was more embarrassed than anything. Well the pain is coming back. It hurts in my intestines before I have a bm. Anyone else with this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Re: Problem with bm, gas, phantom period pain, and peeing

I had my complete hysterectomy on Sept 10th and everything you are experiencing, I've experienced also. I was given Phillips Milk of Magnesia in the hospital, and I started taking Colace when I got home. I quit taking the Colace about 4 weeks after surgery and I started having intestinal cramping (no constipation). I started taking the Colace again, and after a couple of days the cramping went away. I'm still taking the Colace and will continue to do so. Colace isn't a laxative, but a stool softener. I, too, experienced "phantom" pain, about 1 1/2 weeks after surgery. 2 days of pain. My girlfriend is a nurse and she said that it could be "phantom" or the nerve endings where you were cut could be healing, causing the pain. It made sense to me, I wasn't bleeding, so I didn't call the Dr. about it. I haven't slept more than 3 hours at a time since the surgery, and I'm having hot flashes. Dr. gave me 2 different doses of estrogen patches, both didn't work, one too strong, the other too weak. I've got an appointment with a OBGYN on Wednesday who is onboard with custom dosing. I've done research on it, and it makes sense to me. I have an appointment with the Compounding Pharmacy next week Monday, and I hope by Thanksgiving I'll be sleeping better. I hope you are feeling better.
Unread 11-09-2009, 08:55 PM

I'm not sure if I'm following you correctly. Are you taking anything now to avoid becoming constipated again after the first incident? If not, you may need to take something for at least a week or two to help things stay regular. Don't take any laxatives that can cause cramping. Also you should had something like gas-x to help. Benefiber powder 3 x a day is insoluble fiber so it won't cause excess gas. It will keep you regular but also will even prevent diarrhea. It's a God send.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2009, 09:23 PM

I still have cramping before a BM. Pretty bad but not anything as bad as the first few weeks! However, I take a stool softener twice a day still. At first, like you, the gas pains, BMs and urinating were all extremely painful. Urinating still hurts but mostly when I relieve a REALLY full bladder. I really think everything is slowly getting better so hang in there!
Unread 11-10-2009, 08:14 PM

I had the same issues, but once I started the benefiber 3x day, everything improved within a few days.. good luck!
Unread 11-10-2009, 08:32 PM

So somehow I deleted the rest of my question in my orginal post and too lazy to re-type everything. I went for my post-op visit today and talked to my doctor about my pain and was told pretty much the same thing you ladies suggested. Thanks! He also showed me my dvd surgery. OMG! So amazing to see what was done. It looked like spider webs -which had attached my bowl to my uterus! He had to do so much before the actual hysterectomy. So my doctor was not surprised that I was still having pain in my intestines since they were attached to my uterus, tubes, and ovaries.
Thanks ladies!
Unread 11-11-2009, 11:22 AM

It would be normal to still be having pain this soon after surgery. But since you had so many adhesions, if you continue months later with any pain factors, ask your doc. aobut the option of pelvic floor physical therapy. It is already helping me and I've just begun. Just an option to keep in mind (hopefully you won't need it. ;-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register