5 days to go (family mentioned) what did you do? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 days to go (family mentioned) what did you do? 5 days to go (family mentioned) what did you do?

Unread 11-27-2009, 03:33 PM
5 days to go (family mentioned) what did you do?

So today is pretty much over. My one year old went to bed way early tonight as she didnt nap, and isnt feeling herself. My son is peacefully watching garfiled. after its over he will go to bed and so ends another day. I was real tired and drained today and didnt get much of what i planned to get done accomplished. I go in on Monday for my pre op blood work/consult. Yesterday I stopped by Kmart. they were haveing a buy one get one sale on pjs. so I got two night gowns that are very comfortable and I also bought some knit slipper socks, they are sooo cozy. Ill make a dollor store trip after my appt on Monday to buy my soaps and hygeine stuff.

tomorrow I plan on rewashing my walls,and floors and polishing furniture in all rooms. Sunday is reserved for the family. and wednesday i just plan on relaxing and not doin to much else, i have to be at the hospital by 8. I really dont have to much to do yet i feel like im so overwhelmed that im forgetting other things i need/should do. My hubby is a good man and working very hard and many double shifts so the week he took off doesnt kill us, as good a dad as he is he is pretty clueless to the kids routeines and being they are so young and so close in age, they need that routeine we dont function without it, i hope they can handel it while im away, and i pray my house looks like it did when i leave it lol. i will also launder my sheets on wednesday night. I am in so much discomfort that i just want it to be thursday and it seems liek its going so slow yet sso fasttt..

anybody else feel this way? what dod you do in the days leading up to surgery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Re: 5 days to go (family mentioned) what did you do?

My surgery is next Friday, and I agree, the time just seems to be crawling. We're currently out of town, but I do have my pre-op at the hospital on Monday. Seems that Mon-Fri is going to creep by.

Hubby and I did manage to clean up and rearrange the living room (it'll be so nice coming home to a clean house). I'll finish cleaning up our bedroom and washing the bedding on Thursday.

*sigh* I wish it would just get here already.
Unread 11-27-2009, 04:51 PM

I have 5 days to go also, but am not doing much housework!! I have hesitated about this for months-years, and although I feel sad, am looking forward to playing sport, gardening and having a pain free existence. CUrrently I wake up in pain, & I go to bed in pain, and it's only dull pain some days, but it's constant. It hurts me to bend over & straighten up, so I'm amazed to read about the housework. That went out the window months ago in my place!!! Now I just want to fast forward the next week of my life & have it over with. I'm nervous, but hopeful that my quality of life will improve. I've been staying as busy as I can, particularly at work, but I've been a bit manic, so I have some acupuncture booked for early next week & if I can schedule a massage, I'll do that too. For me it's been important to find all consuming disractions, so I get to have a rest from the reality.

endometriosis - long history
fibroids- past & present
adenomyosis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2009, 07:56 PM

I feel kind of odd myself. Kind of a different situation - mine is due to the prolapsing of everything so I am not in any pain, just always WET! Have pre op Monday and Surgery Friday - in a smaller hospital where my dh is chairman of the board - I had 4 /6 kids here and know everyone so I do know I will have LOTS of attention. Which is kinda nice.

Otherwise I am an organized type - have all the Xmas lights and trees up - is it odd to want to try to make things as normal and pretty as possible for the kids? Am trying to do lots of online shopping - will have the older kids do some wrapping for me to help me out.

Did lots of laundry - do have a local lady clean and her day is Thursday -- so that times well

Thoughts and prayers with you all. Never had surgery before so dont' really know what to expect, but I am tired of peeing all the time! I have no endo or anything to cause pain - just have to use bathroom alot....

Hugs to the Girls for the first week of December.
Unread 11-27-2009, 09:51 PM

My surgery is Friday, and I feel like it has come up so fast. I am not ready, not sure what to expect, and just feeling out of it.

Good luck!
Unread 11-27-2009, 10:14 PM

I have less than 2 weeks till my surgery, and my pre-op is on Monday as well. I just back from visiting family out of town, and am sooo scarred that things wont be in order or ready. I have 2 kids under the age of 4 and my husband is not able to be home. (military) I have 2 sisters (right out of high school) and my parents (full time workers) to help out but my kids dont understand and my family cant be their parents. I hurt just about everyday and take soo much medication (pain meds) just to function in the day to day routines for my girls (with constant help, cause I am unable to complete a day without assistance anymore) that I know this is the best, but cant help but wish for another way. I have tried anything, and because of my age (I am very young) the doctors took a long time to even consider this surgery. I am just really scarred and worried about my kids, I am sorry if this is in the wrong spot but I haven't been able to tell anyone this (I dont want to burden friends or family more than i already do) and really needed to get this out there, is there others who do or have felt this way???

thank you
Unread 11-28-2009, 02:25 AM

I've had lots of surgery due to endo & fibroids in the past - and it was far easier pre kids - because you only have yourself to think about. My surgeon says statistically it's safer than driving a car, and even safer still than having a baby, so I am keeping that in front of mind. I too looked for other ways, and put this off for ages hoping for a miracle or menopause (I'm 46) However my life for the past 2 years has been awful, and I'm getting worse, not better, so although nervous, I'm kind of excited as well.
Unread 11-28-2009, 05:05 AM

I originally had surgery scheduled for sept. 24th and the week prior to that I was a mess, couldnt concentrate and felt like I wasnt getting anything done. Then 3 days prior to surgery I got a call from the doctor saying she doesnt accept my insurance and I would have to find a new doctor at a new hospital (dont worry, this wont happen to you, it was a fluke due to a receptionist who put wrong insurance info into the system for me). I was in panic mode but found a new doctor that the insurance company suggested and met with him 2 days later and ended up having the surgery on Sept. 30th, just 6 days after original date.

After having that happen I realized that I was spending too much time worrying about the day that was fast approaching and not enough about the day we were currently in. So, I took a nice hot bubble bath several times that last week because I knew I couldnt have a bath for a few weeks after and it was relaxing. I went for a few walks, talked on the phone to friends and family about anything except the surgery and made sure to spend time with the kids doing fun things that I couldnt do after surgery for a while.

I made sure that I had a bag packed, laundry caught up and that the fridge and cupboards were filled but then left the rest alone. It was more important to spend my time pampering myself and not worrying so much about everything little thing being done...it is too much to worry about.

Take time for yourself, enjoy your family and try not to worry. It is hard to believe but the hardest part is the waiting. Once it is over, even though there is pain, you are on the way to a better life and each day gets better from there.

Good luck to all of you who are getting ready to take your journey and we will see you on the other side!
Unread 11-28-2009, 06:39 AM

You might want to make up some meals to put into the freezer....we found this very helpful for the week or two right after my surgery.
Also, if you're a reader, stock up on library books or borrow LOTS from friends/family. It's surprising how many books you can go through when there's really nothing else to do. Same with crossword puzzle books, etc.....whatever you can think of to help pass the time while you're recuperating.
Best of luck!
Unread 11-29-2009, 08:04 AM

My surgery is also Dec. 3. I have been cleaning like crazy. I now wish I had more time ....there is more to do. But that is silly.

My family is grown and college daughter lives at home. All I can tell you is Dad's routine should be different from yours. It is ok. Makes Dad different and kids memories different of their experiences with their Dad. You will be fine. I know my oldest had a lot of fun with her Dad when I had our second child.

WE will get through this ok!!!!

suzzi

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register