Battling the Blues Day 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Battling the Blues  Day 8 Battling the Blues Day 8

Unread 12-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Battling the Blues Day 8

I had surgery last week Monday 12/02/13 at 6:30am. Recovery was rough I guess. I was in recovery for almost 3 hours Post Op. When I finally came to... my tongue was numb and very swollen. My stomach was distended due to the excess air from the Di Vinci Hysterectomy procedure; which also gave me the overwhelming sensation to urinate. I also suffered episodes of dizziness, nausea, and dry heaving. I was admitted overnight and started to get relief the following morning around 9am.

I was urinating with ease, I had a BM, and I was starting to pass gas which offered great relief. I had a clear breakfast diet and a regular lunch diet. Surprisingly my abdomen was tender and felt heavy when sitting or standing but It wasn't the awful pain I had feared. I have 4 tiny incisions on my belly to show for this life changing procedure. My incisions were sealed with Germabond which looks like glue.

After successfully keeping down breakfast and lunch... and being able to manage my pain orally. I was discharged at 3pm the following day. Once at home I rested for a few days. Thursday, I ventured to Walmart with the hubby and was exhausted within 10 minutes. Friday, I went out for lunch and It was the first time I actually ate a sustainable amount of food since surgery.

I was excited and feeling good about everything and then Sunday night 12/08/13... I was hit with an emotional rollercoaster. I have insomnia, I cry at the drop of a hat, and I have started light spotting. I don't want company. I feel so withdrawn.

My husband does not understand and this has added additional stress which seems to cause the pain is return. I am 41, no children, and feeling confused. I know I made the right decision... I expected to feel this way a little but not like this. I don't want to spiral into a depression. I hope this passes. Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Re: Battling the Blues Day 8

I had my DvH on the third. I would guess that it's very normal! What the heck, you just had a major surgery, and from what I read it's in the same category as open heart surgery (don't quote me on that, I can't remember where I read that). Anyhoo, I got my first bout of insomnia last night and a little emotional today (I'm a day behind you soooo) I believe everything is going as it's supposed to be. Actually, in my humble opinion, none of this is natural! But all kidding aside, you're doing great. Tell your hubby to do some reading for himself. There's a lot of information on this web site that can help him. And whatever you do, don't let him push you to clean, cook, or lift yet! From what I've been reading, I'm taking it easy for quite some time... I'm taking at least 6 weeks and yes my wonderful husband is fully aware of my plans! I've read so many horror stories and I'm not going to be one of those statistics! I don't know what your faith is, but know you'll be in my prayers tonight.

My biggest struggle is the exhaustion. I'm a very active person, and I hate doing nothing and feeling like I ran a marathon. My other thing is my swells belly... Omgosh really!!!!

Sending hugs your way... and we'll get through this!
Susan
Unread 12-10-2013, 01:54 PM

Must be something in the water. I cried once because DH wouldn't let me help peel potatoes. Another time today, cause my feet were ice cold and my legs hurt. Starting to feel like I am draining the DH. He doesn't make me feel that way, it's a me thing. Overall, I feel good and think I've had it easy. I don't know long I will be able to do this before I hit the wall. Six weeks is a long time, I have 5 to go. Good luck ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2013, 04:41 PM

I am 13 days post op. Day 8 was the day that I seemed to hit an emotions all over the place wall as well. My insomnia seems to be slowly getting better but I am also doing a little more so that helps.
It is completely normal to feel the way you do. I am quite certain after reading other post's that I will have a few more of these emotional episodes further into recovery. Just remember that it is normal to feel this way. Snuggle under your blankets with your Heating Pad and know that it's okay to let the tears flow. I think tears are therapy sometimes.
Take Care!
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:09 PM

My pastor always says "tears are liquid prayers"
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:35 PM

Thanks everybody for all the support and words of encouragement! I thought I was loosing it. The sleepless nights and uncontrollable crying. I'm elated to know this is normal and somewhat expected. I was able to get out the house today for a few hours with a girlfriend and my mood seems a bit lifted. Thanks to all of you... I am encouraged!!!
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:36 PM

Thank You!
Unread 12-11-2013, 08:53 AM

Thank God it isn't just me. At the McDonald's in Walmart, ordering a bacon biscuit and I burst into tears! No clue why. Poor person behind the counter. I can't stop crying in here. And nothing is wrong!
Unread 12-11-2013, 09:35 AM

I'm 26 days out from LAVH BSO. Like you, about day 8 I fell into the hormonal abyss. While it's so NOT-normal for life, it seems to be pretty normal for recovery from this surgery. Rest, read the posts here, get educated as much as you can on what's happening with your body, try to get hubby to understand .... And just ride it through. It WILL get better!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register