Fast Growing Fibroid-concern for cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fast Growing Fibroid-concern for cancer Fast Growing Fibroid-concern for cancer

Unread 01-26-2014, 07:27 AM
Fast Growing Fibroid-concern for cancer

Hello!

I had a visit Friday to the ER for terrible abdominal pains. I knew I had a tiny ( .50 cm) fibroid and some ovarian cysts in the past, but didn't think anything of them. After much tests, it seems my tiny fibroid has grown since September to about 3 cm. Its a penduncular (?) so maybe it twisted and caused me pain.

I am to call my gyno tomorrow to see what we need to do. I have a family history of cancer. My mother had Hodgekins Lymphoma and Breast cancer and my grandmother had Ovarian cancer. neither died of these, but its in my history. I know that fibroids being cancer are very rare, but I do know if you do have this type of cancer its aggressive. I've had lots of cancer and other serious disease in my family so I am highly conscious and nervous about this.

I need to some advice as to what to discuss with my gyno about this. I don't think hysterectomy is usually warranted with just one fibroid, but i do want it removed and tested. What do you ladies think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Re: Fast Growing Fibroid-concern for cancer

I don't have any personal experience to share, but hopefully someone will be along soon to share hers. I'm guessing your gyn will want to see you to follow-up on everything. Be sure to get copies of your test results so you'll have them for your own reference. Often cysts are indeed "just" cysts, but you definitely need to confirm that. I'm not sure specifically what your test results showed, but often they can provide a reasonable sense of the chance of malignancy. I'm sure your gyn will go over this with you.

Are you having other issues besides pain? OVCA can be tricky, as you know, since the symptoms can be fairly generalized. Other OVCA symptoms include feeling bloated/distention, trouble eating or feeling full quickly, and urinary issues.

I'd be sure to let my gyn know mine and my family history, although even a strong family history doesn't necessarily destine us for a cancer diagnosis. There is a CA-125 lab test which can be done, although it is not diagnostic and cannot be used to definitively rule OVCA in or out. Its primary function is to follow progression of the disease after diagnosis. But, it can be helpful in making a diagnosis when taken into consideration with other issues.

I also wanted to invite you to check out our Cancer Concerns forum, if you'd like. You can find some helpful information and previous discussions on topic by doing some forum searches there and/or posting.

For now, take some deep breaths. Even with your history, the odds are in your favor that this is a benign process. That being said, definitely continue to be proactive with your health care. Listen to that little voice inside, ColdHands, and remember, we are our own best advocates!

Unread 01-27-2014, 10:05 AM

Thanks for you response. I'm not concerned about Ovarian Cancer, as my cysts I have have always resolved.

The fibroid is my isue right now. Thanks for the invite into the cancer area. I tend to be sort of a nervous nelly, so I will stay away from there for now.

I see my gyno next week. Thanks again!

Debra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2014, 11:16 AM

Sounds like a plan, Debra! Please let us know how things go.
Unread 01-27-2014, 03:08 PM

Hi Coldhands,

Several years ago when I was in my mid thirties I was diagnosed with a small fibroid. The fibroid was confirmed via ultrasound and I was told to just be aware it was there and any growth or new symptoms would be monitored.
Fast forward to 2012 my periods had been heavy over the last few years and as a result I became anemic. I had my internal exam and no changes were noted. One year later in for my next physical there were lots of changes. The ultrasound showed a large bulky fibroid filled uterus(largest fibroid 5.2 cm and uterus 13 week size) and a 2 cm cyst on my right ovary. (which after a few cycles went away)
At that point I asked my family Dr. for a referral to a gynecologist so I could discuss my concerns and options.
At the appointment the gynecologist said that due to my symptoms of heavy bleeding and in between bleeding a endometrial biopsy needed to be done. This was done at my appointment. I was told that fibroids are depend on estrogen for growth. And the idea is that once a woman reaches menopause and lower estrogen the fibroids should shrink.
So my options( dependent on biopsy results which came back fine) were:
-Do nothing but still monitor changes and wait for menopause
-mirena iud
-Low dose birth control
-try taking tranexamic acid for heavy bleeding
Or surgery but ultimately the choice would be mine to decide.
At that point I made the decision for surgery. Unfortunately I am not a candidate for uterine ablation or myomectomy. So I am hoping for a TLH.
At your appointment you and your Dr. will decide the best course of action necessary. Explore your options, continue to become informed and then you will be able to be comfortable with a decision. Good luck with your appointment and keep in touch.
Unread 01-27-2014, 03:35 PM

My fibroid grew by 2cm in one year. No cancer. I read fibroids produce an enzyme that is similar to estrogen to feed themselves. I was in my late 40's. Had ufe at 51 and problem is resolved. Hope you are OK.
Unread 02-03-2014, 02:33 PM

Hello! Sorry I haven't responded. My fibroid concerns have been sidelined due to some serious liver concerns. My liver enzymes, ALK PHOS and GGT were extremely high. I am undergoing tests for that now.

I still have to go to the gyno on WEd, but I won't be submitting to any treatment until I know if I have liver disease.

Thanks!
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:45 PM

Sorry to hear this new issue, ColdHands. Fingers crossed it's something easily resolved. Hang in there!
Unread 02-03-2014, 06:48 PM

Keep us posted! Wishing you the very best!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register