New to HS and scared... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to HS and scared... New to HS and scared...

Unread 03-04-2004, 12:51 PM
New to HS and scared...

I'm new to this site and so glad to have found it. I'm a wk away from a sub-total hysterectomy. I asked the doctor if I could keep my cervix, she said she was planning on it unless she sees anything to cause removal. I've had fibroids for the past 13 years and heavy menses, sometimes lasting 22 days. And guess what?? I started my menses last week and it's heavy, again.
I asked the doc if she recommended anything for anxiety, other than prescription drugs and she said no. But my anxiety has gotten a lot worse this past week and I assume it will be bad until the surgery. Any recommendations about calming myself?
Can anyone tell me what a "swelly belly" is? Does it go down? I'd appreciate anyone's advise. Thanks.

Out in the cold in the Northland....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2004, 01:02 PM
New to HS and scared...

Hi

Welcome to HysterSisters! There is tons of information, advice, support, and s when you need them.

Be sure to check out the PreOp Hints and Articles (click here) PostOp Articles (click here) and Princess Stories (click here) for information and answers to help you get ready for surgery and what to expect after surgery. There is also an awesome resource link directory you can get to by clicking here or click Resources at the top of each page.

"Swelly belly" is a term that we have coined for the abdominal swelling that occurs following a hysterectomy. It has been explained by giving the example of the swelling that occurs in our ankle when we have a sprained ankle. There is a lot of work done in your abdomen and some swelling occurs.

Some women have abdominal swelling on and off for several months after their hyst, especially if they are on their feet a lot during the day. But, it won't go on forever. Your tissues will heal, and eventually everything will return to normal.

Also please be sure to read the info New Here? which can also be accessed from the top of every screen, for information to help you get the most out of this site.

Read and research as much as possible to help you, in conjunction with your DR, make the best decisions for you.

Best wishes!

ps: please update your profile and add your surgery date so you will be on the calendar and we can be sure to send you special good wishes as your date approaches. It also makes it easier to reply to posts by being able to see if you're pre or post, and by how much. Thanks!
Unread 03-04-2004, 01:18 PM
New to HS and scared...

Hi Honey! I had my TAH/BSO last Thursday. I came home on Sunday. My care at the Castle was wonderful. I had very little pain. I've got some swelly belly but can wear an abdominal binder for comfort.

Ask lots of questions so that you will know what to expect. And follow the pre-surgery instructions they give you.

Don't be afraid. I had the horrible menses you mention too. Right up until surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2004, 02:59 PM
New to HS and scared...

Hi sister,

I had anxiety before my surgery and I asked my friends and family to pray for me to find peace and resolve about my surgery. By the day of my surgery, I was feeling calm and felt good about moving on with the surgery.

The waiting is the hardest part--I think! I also kept my self busy and tried not to dwell on any negative feelings that would pop up. I tried to envision a healthy recovery and what it would be like to be free of my annoying fibroids.

I kept my cervix as well and feel good about that decision. I had my four week post-op check today and doc said everthing looks good and I feel great. Just two more weeks until I can resume full activities.

Blessings upon you as you enter the castle and I will pray that you find peace and calm.

Mafalee
Unread 03-04-2004, 03:50 PM
yoga breathing might help calm you

I started doing yoga four years ago for my back, and found that in the month before my TAH, when I would start to get hyper, I would do some deep breathing that I learned in class. If you don't know yoga, there are lots of books, and probably Web sites that can get you started.
Also, I had never gone for a massage, so I booked myself in for two - one a week before, and one the day before my surgery. THat worked well for calming me down, and giving me some pleasant physical sensations to dwell on, at a time when we're thinking about negative ones....
Good luck to you, and calming thoughts are coming your way

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register