post op fibroids? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post op fibroids? post op fibroids?

Unread 07-26-2006, 09:46 PM
post op fibroids?

Today I went to ER for back pain. Had CT Scan to rule out kidney problem. Kidneys OK. "you have fibroids". I said I had hysterectomy October 2004. She asked if I was sure and said perhaps it was a partial. I had a complete hysterectomy. She is referring me to a GYN. I moved to Milwaukee, WI two weeks ago and have not sat medical care yet. I had a total hysterectomy and the doc was unable to remove the cervix.

Sisters have any of you ever heard of fibroids developing after total hysterectomy?

Thanks for sharing. I am a bit baffled and concerned. I am hoping it is a misreading of the CT Scan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2006, 10:12 PM
post op fibroids?

Hi Setfree,

I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you - hopefully another sister will be able to help you out with your concerns.

I just wanted to you to Milwaukee
Unread 07-26-2006, 11:38 PM
correction to post op fiboid?

Correction to post op fibroid ?Correction to Post Op Fibroid?My previous post said I had total hysterectomy and uterus not removed. It was the cervix the surgeon could not remove due potential for excessive bleeding.

My ? is still the same, have any of you Sisters heard of fibroids coming back after a hysterectomy with uterus and both ovaries removed?

Thanks for sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2006, 06:40 AM
post op fibroids?

no,can`t say I have ever heard of that happening ,as a matter of fact I don`t think it`s at all possible .....I have heard of ovaries regenerating if a remnant is left,but once the uterus is removed(due to the fact it`s comprised of muscle tissue and not gla
Unread 07-27-2006, 06:45 AM
post op fibroids?

sorry about that !!! what I was saying a uterus is not glandular tissue ;it`s comprised of muscle fibers ,it doesn`t regenerate,so therefore I don`t think it`s possible for a tumour that`s found in the uterus to come back.....Maybe check with your Dr. for further clarification...... `s Renee
Unread 07-27-2006, 07:06 AM
post op fibroids?

Well, if you had a partial hysterectomy ....which is what you had if the surgeon did not remove the cervix.... you can develop fibroids in the cervix. The cervix is part of the uterus.

Total hysterectomy= remove entire uterus including cervix

Partial hysterectomy= remove top part of uterus, leaving cervix
Unread 07-27-2006, 08:11 AM
post op fibroids?

Your hyst was a subtotal one if they left the cervix, and cervixes can have fibroids. Are you taking estrogen? It would be a surprise if you aren't taking it. If you want to continue the estrogen, you will want to also use a Progesterone cream to balance. Or more if you already are. You may be estrogen dominant. I know that women do produce estrogen in their fat cells after menopause, but somehow I suspect you've been taking estrogen? Nothing wrong with that, but please add progesterone (and make it natural, USP progesterone cream for less side effects) Available at compounding pharmacies online or in your town. Most women use the cream days l4-28 or roughly two weeks out of their cycle. Best, Asta
Unread 07-27-2006, 08:25 AM
post op fibroids?

Kathy..If you read this can you clarify.... I always thought that a total hysterectomy meant that you have your ovaries and uterus removed???
I had only my Uterus removed...no ovaries or cervix abdominally... Is that an SAH abbreviated??????????? I was going in for and LSH but fibroids attached to pelvis would not permit that procedure.. I have been trying to figure out what I did have...( and the abbreviation for it) since then... LOL Help?
Unread 07-27-2006, 08:57 AM
post op fibroids?

I'm not Kathy but I can answer your question, NYChick. A total hysterectomy is the removal of the uterus and cervix. If ovaries & tubes are removed they get extra letters (BSO for both, RSO for right only, LSO for left only). Yes, you had a SAH.

As for the original post here, when your uterus is removed, it is impossible to make a completely clean cut so some uterine tissue also remains. That is why some women experience mini-periods as well. That may be why you are experiencing this issue or as Asta and Kathy suggest it could be your cervix itself that has created these fibroids.

Either way, take a deep breath, slow down and talk through your options with the new gyn when you see him/her. And let us know what the outcome is.

Best wishes.
Unread 07-27-2006, 09:12 AM
post op fibroids?

Wow! I learned a lot from this thread. This makes me very glad I had my cervix removed. Nowhere in my research before surgery did I find that fibroids could grow if cervix remains. My decision was based on the fact that if I am opened up I want all of it removed so I don't ever have to do it again. I couldn't imagine having to deal with fibroids again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register