Surgery is not until 2pm tomorrow | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery is not until 2pm tomorrow Surgery is not until 2pm tomorrow

Unread 10-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Surgery is not until 2pm tomorrow

I just got the call from the hospital with my arrival time tomorrow. It's not until 2 pm! She said surgery will start a couple hours after that. But I still have to stop eating and drinking at midnight tonight. I don't like this -- I'm going to be starving and anxious all day tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Re: Surgery is not until 2pm tomorrow

That is terrible. I am so sorry!! I am going in tomorrow as well and am still waiting for my hospital call. Yikes!!
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:43 PM

So sorry! I know it sucks! I was told to be at the hospital at 10:30. Not realizing my surgery wasn't until 1:30pm. I assumed by 12pm it would be underway. I walked into OR at 1:45pm. I stayed up until midnight and had some toast before I went to bed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2013, 03:46 PM

That time frame stinks, that would be a hard one for me too. I keep crossing my fingers mine will be early. No caffeine and no food usually equates to a migraine to me, which left untreated leads to vomiting. Which the last time I went in for surgery and got a migraine, they gave me some stuff that really made me feel weird, sort of out of my body. And the they informed me that they pumped my stomach while under because they were worried about vomiting. Ugh. Stay hydrated right up to that midnight time frame the night before and maybe that will help some.
Unread 10-24-2013, 03:57 PM

Yes, I'm worried about migraines, too. I'm allowed to take Imitrex but if I can't take it with a whole glass of water, it will just get clogged in my throat. And I typically drink A LOT of water throughout the day, because my throat gets dry. Argh. I guess I can just look forward to an uncomfortable morning tomorrow. Hopefully that will be the hardest part of the whole thing!

Good luck tomorrow AKLissy!
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:02 PM

Good luck tomorrow!
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkatz View Post
I just got the call from the hospital with my arrival time tomorrow. It's not until 2 pm! She said surgery will start a couple hours after that. But I still have to stop eating and drinking at midnight tonight. I don't like this -- I'm going to be starving and anxious all day tomorrow.
Oh, ugh! When I had my D&C - which is minor compared to a hysterectomy - I wasn't allowed to eat or drink after midnight, but I didn't have to be at the hospital until 2 PM. I turned out to be a chilly, rainy March day. I just could not keep warm because I was hungry and couldn't even have hot water to drink. I kept putting on layers of clothing. By the time I showed up at the hospital, I was wearing 3 shirts, 2 sweaters, heavy pants, wool socks, a parka and rubber boots pulled on over the whole mess...

And then of course I got to the hospital and had to take everything off! Except my two pairs of wool socks, they let me keep those. And the nurses in the prep room kept bringing me warmed blankets, so that by the time I made it into the OR, I was all snug in a lovely cocoon. The OR team was very nice about letting me keep it until the anesthesia took effect. :-)

Sleep in as late as you can tomorrow, and try to stay warm. Good luck!
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:18 PM

My surgery was "scheduled" for 2 p.m. I went into surgery around 4:30. But from 2 to 4:30, I was being prepped for the surgery and asked all kinds of questions. Believe me, the time will go much faster than you think. Your mind is just playing games on you right now.
Be sure to tell the doctors, nurses and anestheseologists any questions or concerns. They will be sure to prepare whatever way necessary. Example, I know I have a weak stomach so I told them that prior to the surgery. The anestheseologist made sure I was given something to take care of the nausea after the surgery. Still felt a little sick but once they cut back on the dosage of the pain meds, I was fine.
Don't be afraid to speak up
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:16 PM

My surgery started at 2:30. I came out of recovery around 7:00. I spent the morning feeling grateful, received well wishes from my friends and time with the hubby & mom. It will go by fast. Use it to relax and count your blessings Try not to think about food!! Lol.
Unread 10-25-2013, 06:27 AM

Well, it's 8:30 am and I'm not feeling too hungry or thirsty, so that's good. I woke up with a migraine -- of course -- but my Imitrex worked on that. I'm now about to head out to errands with my mom and then come home and do my antibacterial shower.

My only concerns about surgery/anesthesia are about the fall I took earlier this week -- I have a huge bruise on my hip/butt area and my right wrist is sprained, and I'm concerned that they'll move me around in ways that will make that all worse. I'll tell them about it.

I'm looking forward to being back in my own bed tonight!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register