Post-operation activities | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-operation activities Post-operation activities

Unread 05-07-2002, 03:21 AM
Post-operation activities

After this, the pillow police are going to put me on a watch list :-), but I can't stop thinking about what I'll be able to do post-op. Is anyone else thinking about this? I have about two years' worth of mending. I have embroidery patterns that I haven't worked on in 3 years. I'm a birdwatcher, and maybe I could finally get my life list up to date. I have bought items for dried flower arrangements I've never done.

I've been meaning to read a lot more, too. Oh, something else to add to my list - check out library books beforehand!

OK, I know intellectually this is probably not realistic, but emotionally, post-op plans are what I'm obsessing about!

Pellice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2002, 03:41 AM

Pellice

Hi there. Post op I had all these great plans for everything I was going to do. One of them being to sort out 10 years worth of photos that have got totally out of hand. Well i had the best intentions but in reality, I just did whatever I felt like doing on the day - which a lot of the time was nothing.

I did come onto the boards each day and into the chat room each day as I was 6 weeks without driving (the police of everything here - dh - heard the dr say no driving for 6 weeks). A few times I came close to going stir crazy, but between the computer, watching tv, laying down and doing light housework, I managed to fill my days. The chat room was really great as I chatted real time to women who were pre and post op and they offered unreal support and understanding. It was just the best medicine for me. I had quite a few giggles in the chat room with the other ladies and got a lot of support.

I went back to work at 10 weeks post, and guess what? I did not even look at the photos once.

My advice is take each day as it comes. Do whatever you are up to doing on the day. Just don't get too disheartened if you don't/can't concentrate to do all the things you have planned.

All the best wishes for your surgery and recovery. Just remember to take it really easy those first weeks post op.

Regards

Gail
Unread 05-07-2002, 04:18 AM

I have to second Gail's advice about not getting down if you don't get your post op projects done. Heck, if you don't get your pre op projects done don't stress.

From my own exerience: I have lots of cross stitch projects that I was hoping to work on, or at least finish the sweatshirt I started before surgery. I was so mentally foggy for the first 2-3 weeks that I even if I had had the concentration to try to work on it I would have made a complete mess of it. Same thing with reading, I couldn't concentrate on a short magazine article for the first couple of weeks, never mind a good book that I wanted to read.

My Dr said I would be a couch potato for the first two weeks and she wasn't kidding, laying down was the most comfortable position, and I needed lots of naps. I had read how other sisters were walking laps in the hospital, and walking lots at home from the very beginning. All I wanted to do was sleep. In the hosp I walked from my bed to the bathroom and back, and when I first got home the only walking I did was from the bed or couch to the bathroom or kitchen and back, and then only when necessary. It did take me the whole 2 weeks before I started feeling like a partially functioning human being. I wasn't in pain, I just felt exhausted.

My concentration got better with each passing day, but I'm 13 weeks post op and just about back to normal, and my sweatshirt isn't much closer to done than it was in January!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2002, 06:10 AM

My post-op activities consisted of: rest, rest and more rest. Drinking tons of water and juice. Walked a little everyday. Played some cards with dh and friends that came by to keep me company. Chatted in the chat room and posted on the boards. Remember ~ sitting is an activity: so limit that time when you first get home.

You have been placed on the pillow polices 'watch list' and they will be watching out for you

I thought I would be really bored post op, but I wasn't. And I have to agree with mlweeman when she said that if you dont get pre-op things done to not stress over it. I was so frantic trying to get everything cleaned, grocery shopping done, meals prepared that I was driving myself nuts. Take the time before hand to chat, post and take time for yourself. The only pre-op things I got done was the grocery shopping. I came home to a dusty house and messy floors ~ but I didn't care.

I might get busted for this: but the first thing I did when I got home was pay the bills that needed to be payed (I made the checks out, dh mailed them or dropped them off). Then I made a bolt for the computer and came here onto this site.

Best Wishes to you and all.
Unread 05-07-2002, 09:52 AM
Really?

Bummer... I have a ton of crocheting, books, photos to go through, etc. And I was bummed that I didn't have more to do. So are you saying I won't be bored out of my mind? Because that is what I am afraid of. I am just so sure that I won't have enough to do!
Unread 05-07-2002, 10:34 AM
good idea

That is a good idea about the photos, maybe the last couple weeks. I am worried about being able to keep my family that comes to help from getting bored. While my husband is at work my mom and grandma are going to be over helping me a lot, and I don't want them to just sit around bored while I sleep the whole time. I set it up to have the kids continue to go to day camp during that time, maybe I should be thinking about myself, but I just can't help it.
Unread 05-07-2002, 01:52 PM

The first 2 weeks I had no attention span. Starting about the 3rd week, I was bored. You may feel like working on the mending or the embroidery eventually but then again, naps may be more appealing. Once you get past the initial recovery, it really is hard to get the rest you want, so make the most of it while you can.
Unread 05-07-2002, 02:12 PM

Hi!
Hmmmmm, well, I only stayed home 4 weeks and wasn't really bored, but I did find it difficult to do anything because I couldn't concentrate for long...maybe residual drugs? Even watching the t.v. was difficult.
Most of my time was spent on the computer when possible, but even that can be too much activity. Rest and rest some more. Your body will be glad you did! Good Luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register