Cancelled Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cancelled Surgery Cancelled Surgery

Unread 08-28-2001, 09:05 PM
Cancelled Surgery

Hi All,

I was suppose to have surgery 08/28/01.

I started menustrating on 08/27/01 and called the doctor who end up cancelling saying its safe to wait.
He said if I was finishing my my cycle he could do it, but in the very beginning he would not.

I was all ready, now I need to hear back from the office to set me up another date.

I would think alot of ladies would be bleeding when they are going through surgery. From what I read alot of ladies are bleeding continuously.

Any comments.
Sure depressed today.

Ann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2001, 09:11 PM
Ann,

Wow that is news to me. I am one of those who is always bleeding.

My doctor didn't say anything to me about that. What can happen because you are on your period?
Unread 08-28-2001, 09:15 PM
Cancelled Surgery

Coley,

He said at the beginning of the cycle its a heavy flow and hard for him to see to do a TAH/BSO.

I have Endo and he wants to make sure he gets as much out as possible.

Ann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2001, 09:22 PM
Okay,

I understand that. I too have Endo and am on bcPills all the time. I bleed but not heavy almost for the whole month (because of the pills). I would stop taking them but the fear of getting pg worries me since #1 I don't want any more kids #2 that I will have to wait longer for the Hysto.

Glad you posted your news because it will be intresting to hear what others say too.
Unread 08-28-2001, 09:27 PM
Bummers!

Hi Ann!
This sounds weird to me, also...and my Doc looked at me like I was talking a foreign language when I asked if bleeding would be a problem during surgery! (Like it was a stupid question?) Do you have a history of heavy bleeding...maybe even to the point of causing anemia? This could be a reason...since there is a risk of hemmoraghing?
This may sound like a total doofus question...but are you sure you are not having laser ablation? You mentioned your Doc saying he wanted to "get it all" but if he is doing a TAH then he would be removing the uterus completely.
Also...there are meds to stop bleeding...why did he not use those? I would be upset too...psych yourself up for the big day in the castle...and have them cancel! Pooh!
Unread 08-29-2001, 06:13 PM
Cancelled Surgery

I asked my doc. if it was okay that I was on my period when he did the surgery. He said "No problem" and it wasnt..... By the time I got home 2 days later, I wasnt bleeding at all. I guess different doctors do things differently. I am sorry that you are having to wait even longer. You would think that they would realize the stress that puts you through.
Well, hang in there sweetie...... Your day is coming soon Im sure!

MB
Unread 08-29-2001, 06:42 PM
Cancelled Surgery

Hi...

I'm no expert, but I was on day two of my period with VERY heavy bleeding. My doctor told me it was not a problem. I honestly haven't ever heard from anyone that it was a problem before this!

I agree with Tigerskat here...I don't really get what the bleeding has to do with anything. The uterus is removed, so what would be obsuring his "view"? No uterus, no menstrual flow. I'm very confused!

I think you need to speak to the doctor and clarify exactly what's going on here. Again, I'm not a doctor or medical expert, but this doesn't sound like the whole story for some reason. Talk to the doctor and let us know!! I'm so sorry you have to go through this...waiting is hard enough!!!!

s

Karen
Unread 08-29-2001, 06:53 PM
Cancelled Surgery

I asked my doctor and the pre-op nurse if it would be a problem being on my period. I told her I was due on the day before or the day of surgery...no problem.
I started my period the night before, and was flowing pretty good by surgery.
I had bleeding complications and needed 2 units of blood, but it was from the bladder tear that occured during surgery.

I'm sorry that you have to wait now. That's got to be hard after getting your hopes up and rearranging your life to accommodate the date.
You'll get your turn honey! Let us know how it goes.
Good Luck!
Eve
Unread 08-29-2001, 07:11 PM
Hi Ann...

This sounds odd to me. I asked my Dr. what would happen if I started my period before surgery and she told me it was not a problem, that blood is blood and once she made the incision it didn`t really matter where it was coming from.

I think I would ask your Dr. why he could not do surgery since an incision causes even more blood flow than a period. Like Karen, I am curious.

Waiting once is bad enough! I am so sorry this happened to you.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 08-29-2001, 07:20 PM
rescheduled surgery

i understand, went for my lab work 4 days before surgery. developed a cold. lab tests showed high white cell count. went in the morning of the surgery, ran a temp of 100.2. dr was paged, called repeatedly. finally shows up. said no go, can't do it with a fever. i begged, you have to do it!! waited another 20 minutes & my temp was down to 99.4. what a relief! i couldn't have gone thru that waiting period (just 2 weeks for me) again. hang in there

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register