Any advice on how to not think the worst? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any advice on how to not think the worst? Any advice on how to not think the worst?

Unread 02-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Any advice on how to not think the worst?

A enlarged uterus and a mass in there. I am waiting for a MRI. Then probably surgery. I am 32. While I wait for all of this I can't shake the worry and crying. I am so scared I have cancer. Really scared. I keep thinking this might be one of the last times I snuggle with my dog or go to the movies with my husband. Any advice on how to not think this way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Re: Any advice on how to not think the worst?

It is hard not to think the worst. But try and remind yourself that just because you are thinking the worst it does not mean the worst will actually happen. Our brains tend to take us to the worst case scenario because we like to be in control when there is a possibility of a threat to us, this is what has helped to keep humans safe for thousands of years, so in essence your brain is trying to prepare you to flee or fight a battle. But what your brain cannot distinguish right now is if there really is going to be a battle for you to fight. You cannot know that for sure until you get further information (ie test results) and hopefully your results will not be as bad as you think. Until then you will probably find you will have moments such as you describe.

I am finding I tend to oscillate between the scary thoughts that I have left it too long and will be facing a premature death if cancer is found to other thoughts that I have managed to develop through research, e.g., if it is cancer many women are able to undergo treatment and survive - I too can be one of them.

So some of the ways I have helped myself are:
Researching - it helps me to be better informed, but it is not necessarily better for everyone. Some women find researching just scares them more.

Reminding myself when I am really scared that my brain is just doing what brains do and it doesn't necessarily mean I will have a bad outcome.

Distracting myself - work is great for me as I don't get a lot of time to think about my own stuff. Spending my free time with the family also helps me.

Physical activity - I am trying to build up my strength and fitness for surgery but physical activity is also very good for soothing the anxiety in our heads.

Talking about it - again it is really good for soothing anxiety, do keep coming in here or talk it over with someone in your life if you can find a listening ear.
Unread 02-09-2013, 05:38 PM

Thank you for the great reply. The waiting is just the worst. I wasn't expecting any of this. I just went in for a Pap smear and all hell broke loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2013, 05:55 PM

Worrying about the possibility of cancer and waiting for a definitive diagnosis are hugely stressful. I'm waiting on pathology results from a D&C myself, so I know how hard it can be. I keep bursting into tears at the slightest provocation. What helps me is talking about it with my friends, distracting myself with movies and pampering myself with my favourite tea and herbal rescue remedy lozenges. Hang in there, you will get through this (((((((((( hugs ))))))))))
Unread 02-09-2013, 05:59 PM

Thanks you too. Hope everything turns out well for you. You are in my prayers.
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:33 PM

Most of the time a "mass" is a fibroid, which is benign the vast majority of the time. Even the big ones may be removed without hysterectomy. I had my 3 large fibroids removed last month. The MRI shows a pretty clear picture of what's going on, and it's always a good idea to get a second opinion.

Even if it is cancer, it isn't a death sentence! Many women on this site have beaten all sorts of gynecological cancers (including my aunt!). Please focus on the positive - you are on your way to a diagnosis and treatment! :-)
Unread 02-10-2013, 04:39 PM

I just wanted to say I understand. I also went into my appointment with no clue I would have a biopsy. Like you, I have a mass and a slightly enlarged prolapsed uterus. I have been waiting two weeks so far for the results. My follow up appointment is booked for February 20th when we will discuss my hysterectomy for the prolapse. I understand the wait can be scary especially when our minds tend to wander to the worst. Hang in there and try to think positive.
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:46 PM

I asked my primary care doctor for a Xanax prescription. I only take it at night, but I slept so much better after that. Being well-rested really helped me manage my worries during the day. I do not normally take psychiatric medication, but some situations call for it!

Have you asked your doctor why they're not doing an ultrasound? For myself and everyone else I've known, that has been the first step in diagnosing a pelvic mass. Most docs can schedule it quickly, and it costs at least $1000 less than an MRI, so the insurance process might go more quickly. At least you could be on the road to getting some answers.
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:50 PM

Hi, yeah that was my 1st test. He wanted to see what is going on more clearly so now the MRI. I am only 32 and he wants to try and save my fertility. I just don't want to have cancer. I sometimes can't believe this is all happening.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register