Three weeks post-op today, anyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Three weeks post-op today, anyone else? Three weeks post-op today, anyone else?

Unread 07-09-2002, 06:30 PM
Three weeks post-op today, anyone else?

Today marks three weeks since my TAH/BSO and due to a stubborn sinus infection that started right after I got out of the hospital, I have not been feeling as well as some of you gals have. I go back tomorrow for a second round of antibiotics. Perhaps the surgery weakend my immunity? At the hospital, the morphine made me throw up a lot, so much they called me "barfy"

The wound is closed, dry and healing well, although I get up in the middle of the night still for 1/2 vicoden to get my back to sleep. Seems like I have vivid dreams and nightmares, kinda of an insomia that 1/2 vicoden seems to help with. There is one spot on my incision that is very sore still, and I can feel the scar tissue extra heavy there. There is a ridge of scar tissue built up under my incision.

Fatigue is still a big problem and my mom and sis drive me everywhere because I don't feel like I can do that yet. I get out daily to pick Rx or do some very light shopping, but it is only for about 1 hour per day then I rest and drink TONS of water, hoping that will heal me faster...praying really. I do this just to get some fresh air and it makes me feel better.

My only lingering symptom of menopause is that I cry daily, many times per day. Other than that, no other symptoms. Obviously, I will probably need my HRT adjusted.

The post-op appointment is not until the 18th, 30 days after surgery. I am jealous of all the women whose doctors have 2 and 3 week post-op appts. What's normal and what's not, I rely on you gals.

I have learned so much here and I am so grateful for all of you who share your experiences with me. God bless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2002, 06:40 PM

Hi Sister! We share the same date. As you read below, I too have had many setbacks since the surgery, though I am starting to feel more human. I posted just before you about the need for a Lortab (very similar to Vicodin) every night for pain control. My incision is not completely healed yet which surprised the Dr. and he said, "Well, you're healing slower than normal" I replied that I think my body has had to heal other things (like my pneumonias) first as they were more important. LOL. I also have a new open area on my right side of the incision that started draining. So, don't feel bad. I love the support here and I hope you do as well. I am also crying every day and have a hard time sleeping. My Dr. threw four packages of hormones at me and essentially just added (for now) progesterone to the estradiol to help with the sleeplessness. I told him that if I slept better, I could heal faster. LOL. Anyway, my appointment was not until the 18th either, but because of the incision re-opening I got to see him yesterday. Call your Dr.'s office. Visit the hormone jungle. These were the best places I could go to and should help you as well. Take care of yourself and 's to you!
Unread 07-09-2002, 07:32 PM
Jennifer, sorry about your complications

I feel so stupid, whinning about my sinus infection. God bless you little sweety You have been through so much, I will be praying for you darlin'

But you are getting better and better everyday so that is a blessing!

Yes, I need to check out the hormone jungle. This crying business is the pitts and I know that just the right HRT will take care of it, just a matter of finding the right one.

I'll be cheering for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2002, 09:00 PM
Feeling Great

I am almost afraid to reply after reading about the rough time you all are having. I had a TAH/BSO on 6/17. I was up and walking and showering the next day. I had my staples removed early Thursday morning prior to being released and they had started to heal over already. My incision was completely healed in a week. I feel very blessed! Once I got home I did walk outside 3 times a day for 5-15 minutes each time. After the mandatory 2 week waiting period I resumed driving and now go to the mall everyday to walk. At my 2 week check-up my DR couldn't believe how quickly I was healing. I did prepare myself somewhat for this surgery by working out 6 days a week and also started taking 3000mg of vitamin C every day about 1 1/2 months prior to surgery. I was put on 1 mg Estriol and have had no menopausal symptoms at all. I hope you all are feeling better real soon.
Hugs - Sherrie
Unread 07-10-2002, 07:49 AM
Sheri, that is wonderful

I must say that you have had the most remarkable recovery, you go girl!

Don't ever feel bad about being health! Dance and sing and rejoice! !!

Thanks for sharing, I love to hear inspirational stories :
Unread 07-10-2002, 08:24 AM

It is three weeks for me today! I find I am doing ok, I tire very easily. I too am still tender around my incision, but I guess this is normal. I have found that I don't cry all the time, but I am very emotional and can cry at a drop of a hat. I do find that I have a little trouble sleeping at night also. I will not go to sleep till early in the morning then I sleep most the day away. I thought it was because my sleep pattern got messed up when I was in the hospital being they did not do my surgery till around 1:00pm. Now I wonder if it is because of the hysterectomy? I am on estradiol patch also. My post op appointment is on the 22. I was told not to drive or anything till I see my doctor than.
I am so sorry some of you are having troubles more so than me. I will keep you all in my prayers. I am so glad I found this site as now I know I am not alone. You all take care of yourself and get plenty of rest.
Good luck in your recovery's.
Hugs,
Marci
Unread 07-10-2002, 09:03 AM

I am 3 weeks post op tomorrow and am healing pretty well. I had a one week check up, but ended up back at the dr. yesterday with yeast infection (yuck). I feel better each day and am doing a little more each day too. My mom still comes out to help during the day so that has made my recovery quicker. I was told no driving until next week, can't wait to get out My incision is still quite sore and bruised and I have build up of fat tissue right under my belly button at the top of my incision. But I wasn't planning on ever wearing a bikini anyway
Unread 07-10-2002, 10:37 AM
Doing okay here!

Hi Ladies,

I'm doing well -- started walking a mile last Thursday, which has helped me get my appetite and energy back. Still tire easily, though.

Feeling bruised still, but have no real complaints (except lack of sleep due to hot flashes --- waiting for Lupron to wear off and ovaries to kick back in)....

Take care all,
Unread 07-10-2002, 03:10 PM
3 weeks post-op tomorrow...

I'm praying for those of you who are worse off than some of the rest of us,.. yep, I'm in the 'doing pretty terrific' bunch. I've had few complaints, and have been healing great,.. my doctor had released me for several things at my 2 week check-up a week ago (I even got to drive myself, and I took all 3 of my kids with me; ages 6, 4.5, & almost 3), and I am being released for more stuff in 1 more week, at 4 weeks,.. next check-up is at 6 weeks on the 30th. I do still feel tender around my incision, but from what I've been reading, for many women that can last for months. I do still have alot of bruising near the surface all over my tummy,.... any discomfort I have is all surface type. All pains prior to surgery are gone so it definately was all the crud I had in there that was causing it all. They actually had 6 different diagnosises for all my pains in my pathology report!! The only times I've had any soreness and pain is when I've overdone,.. and prob. because at those times I've just felt sooooo great I couldn't help it. I am also sort of feeling the 3 week 'slump' now though that I had read about when I was still pre-op,... tummy muscles are sore, but I was told that the last of your internal stitches are dissolving and your muscles are having to take over FT between the 2-3 week mark,... I started feeling this way 2-3 days ago so I'm assuming that's why (anybody else experiencing this???),... otherwise I feel great. I'm on .0625 of Cenestin, 1 a day before bedtime for a week today now, and so far I haven't had any menopausal symptoms... not one since surgery actually!! woohoo,.. so far anyway, LOL. I'm awake all day (except for a nap once or twice since being back home), and sleep all night..... rarely take any meds unless I've overdone. I do have my days though, don't get me wrong,.. I'm not miss perfect over here,.. I still have **OUCH!!** days too! I'm actually having an **OUCH!!** week right now. For the most part though, I'm doing pretty terrific compared to how I thought I would be. I had even been warned on this site against going camping in our MH over the 4th at 2 weeks so I didn't go, and come to find out I could have so I've been kicking myself over that,... just goes to show that you have to guage yourself,.. everybody is different, and you can't base yourself off of anybody else........ for those of you who are having a rougher time though,.. you are in my prayers!! Feel better soon, okay?
Unread 07-10-2002, 05:48 PM

3 weeks post op for me today...feeling really well.
I had a post op appt on Monday, got the all clear to drive, still no baths or swimming But Doc said I was right on target as far as healing goes, other than an icky yeast infection, which he said is common if you have had to have alot of anti-biotics, which I did. Can I say that Diflucan is the best?! It began working within 24 hours, can't believe one little pill could do so much!
Today was my first real day out, I drove DD to work and then spent the rest of the day with my other DD at Wal-Mart and the mall. Took lots of breaks, sitting here and there, and DD was especially helpful with pushing the cart and bringing packages in from the car. I really really needed today, it was so uplifting to be out in the world again
I made sure that when I was out I had my IB with me, but didn't really need it. Feel pretty good right now, who knows maybe all the walking and being out will help with sleeping tonight?! Hope so!
So nice to hear how all of you are doing s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register