Gyni visit | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-25-2002, 07:51 AM
Gyni visit

This is only my second message so please bear with me, I went
to see my Gyni today who said I have fibrioids, and two polyps. I also have an ache on my right side which suggested my ovary could be enlarged. I am going for a vaginal scan on Monday, will they be able to see the ovary on this? She has also done bloods to check my hormone levels to see if I am menopausal, I am 51 but with no symptoms. She has suggested first doing a hysteroscopy to get rid of the polyps, the fibrioids she said are
deep in the wall so she would leave them alone for now and see if the removal of the polyps slows down my periods they last for about 14 days then I start again 14 days later. She said the pain over my ovary could be a cyst or endometriosis, what do they do for this as I do not want a hysterectomy?

Your replies would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2002, 08:07 AM
Gyni visit

Hi Cadey. Yes, your ovaries will be quite visible on vaginal u/s. My information gathering suggests that testing hormones via blood is not as reliable as testing by saliva. It is suggested that hormone levels in blood testing can vary greatly from one hour to the next. After your u/s, it's possible they might suggest low-dose birth control pills. It is routine for a CA125 for ovarian cysts to test for cancer, so don't be alarmed if it is suggested! I have friends who have had cysts removed, some have had to have the ovary removed, as I will be next week. I also have fibroids, and am having the uterus removed. This is a personal choice, highly recommended by Dr, because the surgery for the ovary is stressful enough, I do not want to take the chance of coming back in a few months or a few years to remove the uterus. Polyps are abnormal growths that may or may not come back. I have had them removed from my cervix twice.

Depending on the size of the cyst, if indeed it is a cyst, and your CA125 blood test, your Dr may schedule you for another u/s in a few weeks to see if it is resolving or growing, or may suggest surgery right away.

Unfortunately I have no experience with endo, so the other sisters will have to help you out there.

Best to you

Unread 04-25-2002, 09:42 AM
cadey

if you go to the message boards you will find one titled hysterctomy options and alternatives, you might be able to find some answers there. endo can only be diagnosed by surgery, usually a laporoscopy. this is an outpatient surgery with recovery in 1-2 weeks. the incision is through the belly button, and it is a minimally invasive surgery. it sounds like you are are probably in early stages of menepause. i'm basing this on the symptoms you describe sounding very much like what my mother went through before they finally got her hormones straightened out. you might also go to the hormone jungle, it's amazing what these things do to our bodies. wishing you health and happiness

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register