travel? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-02-2003, 09:19 AM
travel?

ok, no throwing pillows at me for asking this but....

is there any way I'll be able to go to "Parents Weekend" at my DD's college a week and a day post op from LAVH? It's a 45min ride. I would just sit in the student center and visit, nothing more! She will be ok if we don't go but I feel bad about missing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2003, 10:18 AM
travel?

I would think it's probably ok- give your doc a call to see what he/she thinks.
Unread 04-02-2003, 10:39 AM
travel?

I went on a ride at 12 days post. My DH drove and it was an hour and 3/4 each way. He had put a deposit on a new camper at a camper show, with the condition that when I felt I could travel and look at it and ok his choice, the sale would be final. What a good DH I have! (The salesman was ok with that, he must have been married! ) Our car drives pretty smooth and I had the seat reclined to a comfortable position. (Had my pillow of course). Other than being tired when we got home, I was ok. Its the sitting part of your trip that worries me. Here I am 23 days post and still can't "sit" for very long. I pretty much spend my "sitting" time in the recliner. This is just my , I hope it helps you in your decision. s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2003, 11:11 AM
travel?

Neal,
I think you may change your mind after you have the surgery & wait to go visit. I had an LAVH on 12-6. I did have an hour ride to & from the hospital. As soon as I got to the door I went straight to bed. The first couple of weeks you will just be trying to recover. You will be sleeping off & on & just little stuff, like reading, taking a shower, watching the tv. But you will find that sitting also takes an extreme amount of muscles & energy. I would discuss this indepth with your doctor also. I personally would not have been able to do that at only a week post op. I know that at my college that I attend the campus is really spread out & I have to walk long distances to get to places & you don't want to be doing that at only one week post either. You have to remember that even though you DON"T have external stitches you will STILL HAVE 50-100 internal stitches that are all trying to heal. There is a great site, but IT IS ALSO very GRAPHIC that you can see the actual surgery. www.pelvicfloor.com WARNING VERY GRAPHIC!! Not for the weak tummies! Such as myself! LOL LOL You will see that the surgery really is very extensive even though it is done vaginally.
I'm sure if you explain to dd everything she will be more than understandable about the situation. I know it's hard, but you can always go up & visit again later when you are feeling much better & can really enjoy it!!!!! You could always make some special plans for later to come up & take her out to lunch or supper, as we know college students are on a limited budget!!!!!! LOL LOL

Jamie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register