Waiting to be a Lady In Waiting... (vent) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Waiting to be a Lady In Waiting... (vent) Waiting to be a Lady In Waiting... (vent)

Unread 05-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Waiting to be a Lady In Waiting... (vent)

I hate waiting. I really hate waiting.

I've been compulsively reading everything on this site, learning quite a bit. I theoretically have a doctor ready and willing to do the hysto -- but insurance only covers 70% of the costs and I'm hoping I can find a doctor who is in-network which will drop that to 10% of the costs (or less, depending on the doctor).

I originally thought I'd have to go the SVH route, but then I discovered there's a 'world leader' in laproscopic procedures in the area who is in-network. I'm waiting to hear back from him as to whether he's willing to do a hysto for someone my age with no kids. I've encountered a few who won't.

On the one hand I feel like I should wait until my original target date of December... but that was when I thought I'd have to do the more invasive route. I've Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure, and I'd like to be in better shape. On the other hand... WAITING. Grr! ARG!

I'm worried I'll go in for laproscopic and even though my pap smears have always been normal and my uterus looks 'just fine with no fibroids' according to my gyn, when they open me up they'll discover everything is attached to everything else and I'll need like 50bazillion hours of surgery. Sweetie says not to bother worrying, but I still do. I don't want to wait. I want to get it done now NOW NOW .

I'm worried my insurance won't pre-cert me, despite it having been fantastic for years regarding everything else. I mean, I'm not dying, I 'just' want to be sterilized.

I want the ball to get rolling already. Grf!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2006, 08:23 PM

Hi GenKitty,

I was 46 when I had my LSH (Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy). At the time of my hyst, my Dr. was only 1 of 2 Drs in my area that did the LSH surgery. I drove an hour to get to my office appointments.

For me, having a LSH was so worth it. I have my quality of life back. I kept my cervix and ovaries and I am still very happy with my surgery results.

Here is a Hyster Sisters link that goes over the different types of hysts:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...p?s=&id=152317

One thing I liked about a LSH, a less invasive hyst, is that the recovery time is generally shorter.

Best wishes. You have found a great bunch of ladies here to help you with your questons.

Mar
Unread 05-25-2006, 09:23 PM

I am sorry that you feel a hyst is the only answer for your situation. This is a serious decision that shouldn't be made without carefully considering everything involved.

Finding a dr willing to perform a hyst for sterilization only purposes is probably not going to be easy. While a hyst can greatly improve the the health and quality of life for women with GYN issues, it can also have enormous long lasting side affects. Some ladies end up regreting their hyst for the rest of their lives as they end up with issues involving sexual dysfuncition, bladder issues, vaginal dryness, adhesions and scar tissue, surgical menopause as their ovaries end up dying due to the interrupted blood supply, nerve damage, the list goes on. We have several forums here on the site specific for ladies with post hyst complications and regrets.

Before any woman has a hsyt, I strongly recommend at least a second if not a third opinion and seek out any alternative treatments for their situation. Each lady must be prepared for the worst, even if they hope for the best.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2006, 09:51 PM

I think you're taking some really positive steps... First, you're doing your research which is so very important at your stage.

Second, even though you say you hate waiting (and really, who doesn't hate waiting?), you are planning to wait to have this surgery for several more months.

As the other (((sister))) so wisely advised you, this waiting time gives you the chance to explore all of the options for dealing with your issues. Hysterectomy may or may not be the answer for your problems, and you owe it to yourself to be as sure as you can that you're making the right choice when it comes to such a life-altering surgery.

You can see one more, two more, or fourteen more doctors before you make your decision. Even if you think you have your mind made up, it's much better to have your opinion confirmed. And if medical professionals disagree on your best course of action, that means you may have more decisions to make down the road.

I wish you all the best. Remember, we're here for you whenever you need us.
Unread 05-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Update: Waiting for consultation day

I finally have an appointment to consult with the surgeon. The vibe I got from the scheduler is that I won't be turned away due to my age, but I'll wait and see what the surgeon himself says.

Hysterectomy is the only option for 100% effective sterilization. IUDs and tubal ligations do fail, and when they fail they can fail spectactularly. Even before hitting this site I knew I was picking a rough road... but it's the only road that goes to the place I want to be. I do not want to ever be pregnant. Impressively difficult pregnancies and deliveries run in my family, and I will not inflict my genetics (cancers, strokes, chemical dependencies, heart problems, diabetes) on an innocent. I spent years soul searching before making this decision, and it wasn't an easy one to come to. (Adoption is out of the question for my family, given that I'm poligamous, bisexual, pagan, and poor - and abuse issues from my upbringing cause me to seriously doubt my parenting ability anyway. I have enough trouble dealing with adults, don't inflict me on a child)

I need the peace of mind that only a hysto will provide. And I'm very very tired of heavy bleeding, of ruining clothes I love, of limiting myself to plain white sheets and underwear so I can bleach them back to health. I'm tired of the cramps that turn my bones to water. I never again want to step into the shower stall, take off my underwear, and have it suddenly look like a sacrifical offering vessel drenched with the blood of a thousand virgins. The Mirena only helps somewhat, and I've traded frequency of bleeding for frequency of cramps.

Give me the swelly belly and fatigue and vaginal dryness and pain -- I'll gladly trade, if it means no more uterine issues ever again!
Unread 06-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Update #3

Today's my consult with the laproscopic surgeon. I'm not worried, precisely, I'm simply twitchy. I don't like unknowns. If I could have the procedure tomorrow, I'd be all for it! I'm also a bit grumbly from a blood test earlier this morning (hoping to rule out Cushing's as a source of my menopausal symptoms; endocrinologist says my hormone levels are 'normal', so I have to believe him for now.)

Mrf. 4 hours until I can leave for consult. Wah.
Unread 06-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Waiting no longer!

i Have A Surgery Date!
Unread 06-23-2006, 05:53 AM

You a day before me! I had a hard time getting a hysterectomy even WITH kids...It's been five years of trying alternative methods and I'm DONE having my uterus rule my life. Good luck with the surgery and your new life! Val

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register