LAVH ? about sleeping ovaries - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

? about sleeping ovaries ? about sleeping ovaries

Unread 02-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Re: ? about sleeping ovaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painfree214 View Post
The best thing I can tell you is to try to figure when your next cycle would have been and then pay attention to how your body feels. Not everyones ovaries well go to"sleep" and you are very early in recovery. Signs that they are not working are hot flashes, insomnia, depression, fatigue. Not sure if this really answers your question.
You know I had barely had a period for two years before the surgery and wouldn't you know I had my first real period the morning of.....ugghh. So I have a good time marker at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idg View Post
I'm so sorry you're going through this. That's my fear too. That my ovaries won't wake up. Hair falling out is no joke. I'm hypothyroid and my once luxurious hair has gotten so thin I once considered rogaine. It's really fine in texture to begin with so that doesn't help either. I'm using Nioxin once a week now and I like to think it's working.

Are you planning to (or did you) get a hormone test to know for sure what's happening to the ovary? What does your doctor say?
I did have the blood test in November---7 months after my surgery. My levels were pretty much non existent so my choices were little and my doc said it would not be waking up. My hair is coming back but it is different. The texture isn't nearly as nice. My hair is pretty thick so it wasn't too noticeable to anyone but me. I keep it in a short style now so I don't get nearly as upset as I would if it was super long.
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:49 PM

I'm glad it's coming back {{{hugs}}}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painfree214 View Post
The best thing I can tell you is to try to figure when your next cycle would have been and then pay attention to how your body feels. Not everyones ovaries well go to"sleep" and you are very early in recovery. Signs that they are not working are hot flashes, insomnia, depression, fatigue. Not sure if this really answers your question.
My cycles were always "off" so it kinda hard for me to tell. My boobs been tender since surgery. I guess we all have different issues. My hot flashes at night is not that bad anymore. I do notice that I'm having breakouts like I'm 15 and that I'm craving a bunch of junk!
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:07 PM

I'm craving junk too!! OMG you have no idea!!
Unread 02-21-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
For those wanting to know whether their ovaries are or are not working:

If you have hot flashes....this can mean your whole body or just the neck up...feels like a furnace in your body....makes you want to roll in the snow. Your ovaries arent up to snuff

If you have night sweats...where the sheets and jammies are wet to the touch, drenched even...when you wake up shivering...your ovaries are not on full alert.

If you experience vaginal dryness to the point of chapping, very uncomfortabel sex, or even shrunken cracking labia minor, your ovaries are probably on strike.

If however, you have pain in your side from ovulation, often accompanied by a gooey discharge from the vagina, then you are possibly ovulating..good ovaries!

If you get very tender breasts that feel fuller and heavier, your ovaries are probably on duty!

If you find your energy level increase, your depression lessen, and your sex drive go up....along with the sore breasts and plenty of vaginal moisture...congrats your ovaries are top notch!!

This has been my personal experience and opinion....I am not a doctor..if you really want to know for sure though...see your doc and have them do a hormone test!

I hope this helps!

Just really happy over hear to have my breast be alive again..rather than the empty sacks of skin they felt like the last 3 months! Hooray!
Hubby enjoys them much more this way too! : )
IT'S SO FUNNY BECAUSE IT'S TRUE! HAHAHAHAHA I found that taking my 'woman' vitamins seemed to help. My B Complex, Omega, Calcium, stuff like that...
Unread 02-21-2012, 01:34 PM

I'm three months post-op and, like many of the other ladies on here, my ovaries are awake but don't seem to have established a normal rhythm yet. My breasts have been sore for almost two weeks and I've been having some acne, both of which are clear signs that I'm pms-ing. They did seem to shut down for a while post-op and I had trouble with insomnia and night sweats. I actually think they started to wake up 3-4 weeks ago or so because I began having some early morning nausea (all hormonal changes make me nauseous for some reason) but they didn't seem to really get going until just recently so hopefully everything will get into a rhythm soon!

For those of you really struggling hormonally, definately tell your doctor. My doctor offered estrogen or birth control pills to help me out for a few months until things leveled off. I turned them down because of the nausea issue but the option was there if I needed it.
Unread 02-21-2012, 07:07 PM

And if your doc tells you that all women go through menopause and you should just "deal with it" like so many women do, keep fighting. Especially if you are much younger than menopause age. I had to tell my doc over and over that I was 37, not 57 and I needed more estrogen just to get through the day.
Unread 03-30-2012, 04:53 AM

To throw a bit of a twist in here and to get feedback. I was able to keep both of my ovaries from surgery. The first couple of nights I was drenched 2-3x a night but attributed that to coming off the anesthesia. I have always had extreme breast pain (fibrocystic lumps) to the point that my kids and hubby at times couldn't even hug me b/c it was too painful. The last year has been much better pain wise, as I had started some progesterine cream and increased my exercise so I linked those together.
I stopped my progesterine cream at least 2 weeks prior to surgery and ever since then my breasts have been extremely sore again. Currently, (and I'm not quite 2 weeks post-op) my breasts have reverted back to the extreme pain phase. Also, my ovaries are aching and aching like I have never had for such a prolonged time period before surgery. Typically, when this sore as soon as I had my heaviest period day or two my breasts would go back to normal for about a week and then slowly get worse by day. I am hoping that I have some relief very soon as I will not be able to tolerate the pain if this is the way it's going to be for me.
I am having some bouts of insomnia but last night I slept much better. The previous few nights I hardly slept at all.

Has anyone else had their ovaries be so overly sore and aching after surgery? Is this somewhat normal? I rode in a car 2 days ago, which didn't help, but since then it seems like it's not any better maybe worse. I would have been ready to start my cycle within the next week so I am looking forward to relief (hopefully). I will definitely start my hormone cream again.
AND...Will by body continue to go through the PMS thing monthly?

Lastl, my friend had a hysterectomy about 6 weeks prior to me. Her doctor recommended a vitamen supplement of "Biotin". The doctor says it helps with metoblism associated with menopause, loss of hair and sleeping. I started it just a couple of days ago, so am hoping that it might help me.
Unread 03-30-2012, 08:05 AM

Hi Micer, I did not have ovary pain as the one I have left never woke up. I do use a vitamin for hair and nails that includes Biotin and that has been very helpful. You can also get it in shampoo and conditioner.

My friend who kept one ovary continues to have PMS monthly although she gets no period.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register