Need to make a decision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need to make a decision Need to make a decision

Unread 12-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Need to make a decision

Well my consult/pre op was today. Dr really feels we should try LAVH instead of abdominally, which is great news!!! My decision is my overrides staying or having her remove them. I have a sister that was diagnosed with ovarian cancer recently, and I'm so undecided on what to do??
I also have an aunt, my moms sister that died from ovarian cancer. I have struggled with depression for years, have even been hospitalized with it. If she takes ovaries, I am very scared of the instant mentapause and how it will affect me emotionally. I am 47 yrs old, a d have yet to start mento pause, never a hot flash or anything. My bloodwork shows the same. I'm terrified of the family history, and the effect surgical mento pause will have on me. I have discussed this with my psychiatrist whom I have been seeing for many years, and she told me if I wanted her honest opinion, she thinks the ovaries should go, and she will be there for me as always to bring me through it if my depression becomes a problem afterwards. My dr doing surgery says it has to be my choice only, and she would like to hear from me the day before surgery on what I decide. My husband wants me to have ovaries removed because he is very worried about my family history of cancer. I am do afraid either way and I'm trying hard to make the best decision for me. My husband has been with me and seen me at my worst with depression and says he will be there again if I should struggle. I just don't know, I am so fearful of either decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Re: Need to make a decision

It definitely has to be your decision. But it sounds like you have a lot of support. If it were me, I would have them out just because of the family history. I know that everything is scary now (and it will be off and on until the surgery is done) but a sister is a really close relative to have ovarian cancer and that would be really scary to me. I have also struggled with depression and I know how debilitating it can be. I'm so glad to hear you have a lot of support. Hang in there!
Unread 12-10-2012, 04:06 PM

Christine B I would like to wish you success with your upcoming surgery. It is difficult to make such an important decision. I had a DVH/BSO in November and opted to have my ovaries removed. I am 53 and have been in menopause for 1 year. I too have a family history of cancer. I also have suffered from depression for many years. It sounds like you have very supportive physicians and family so I am sure whatever your decision they will be there to help you through. Best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2012, 09:54 PM

I had endometrial cancer and my doctor recommended removal of the ovaries on the theory that they really cannot be sure if the cancer was there or not without taking them out and testing them. Ovarian cancer is very difficult to detect otherwise. I debated for a long time -- the pros and cons can make it very difficult.

In the end, I decided it wasn't worth the risk of keeping them. I am on HRT and feel terrific.

This is something you need to decide for yourself, but menopause isn't as bad as they make it sound, and peace of mind is really awesome.
Unread 12-10-2012, 11:36 PM

You can always suggest this to your doctor as this is what mine is doing:

When he goes in to do my surgery he is going to check my ovaries. He said if they look good I'm keeping them. If one looks bad and the other looks good, he's removing one and leaving the good one. If they are both bad they both come out. He said it's easier to keep them in and let them keep doing what they go to do for now compared to taking them out now and putting me through menopause at such a young age. Course that's just me.

I kinda wish he would take them out and be done with it, but like he said, this whole experience is going to be a shock to my system as it is, no sense in really kicking my body while it's down.
Unread 12-10-2012, 11:45 PM

Try to find comfort in knowing that your best line of defense against ovarian cancer is not having them in your body.
With fanily history like yours- if it were me in your shoes, they would go no doubt.
Being put into surgical menopause doesn't sound fun but I would choose that over cancer. And with your depression... I would hate to se how bad it would get if you kept your ovaries then later found out they grew cancerous. Yanno?
Unread 12-11-2012, 05:20 AM

I second firstphoenix - my mom had ovarian cancer (survivor!!!!) and my doc said if they look okay he would keep them; if not then out they go. He ended up taking the right one and the pathology came back consistent with endo. Even at 46 years old my ovary is helping stave off heart disease and osteoporosis, so I'm happy with the decision. But it's so personal, isn't it? You will make the decision that's right for you - I'm so happy that you have so much support. Hugs and healthy vibes
Unread 12-11-2012, 05:38 AM

Thanks for all of your input!!!!! I really appreciate all of the support!!
Unread 12-11-2012, 10:16 AM

My sister died of ovarian cancer this past summer. She was 69 y/o. She had one ovary removed a few years ago but the dr. left the other one because it looked fine. Because of that decision she is gone now. Sob! Ovaries can go bad quickly and you won't even know it until it's too late to do anything about it.

I debated too but in the end I decided to get rid of everything before they can do me any harm. I'm 52 and was just starting to go into menopause. I'm not on HRT yet, but I can go on it anytime I feel like I need it.

My dr. was very understanding of the importance of having some peace of mind about my fear of getting ovarian cancer. He was supportive of my decision and will help me thru the hormone jungle I now face. So far I have no regrets on my decision to have everything taken out.
Unread 12-11-2012, 10:20 AM

If it were me... Out they go. Mine are going. Fam history of breast and colon cancer...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register