Upcoming hysterectomy 12/15: Does anyone else have trouble justifying their surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 12/15: Does anyone else have trouble justifying their surgery? Upcoming hysterectomy 12/15: Does anyone else have trouble justifying their surgery?

Unread 11-20-2016, 08:07 PM
Re: Does anyone else have trouble justifying their hysterectomy?

I just wanted to say hi since we're having our surgeries on the same day!

You and your doctor are the only ones who know what is best for you, but it sounds like you're making the right decision. It's major surgery, so that's scary, but it sounds like you've been dealing with a lot of pain and discomfort, and maybe it's time to fix that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2016, 05:41 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 12/15: Does anyone else have trouble justifying their surgery?

I totally get this. I've always been told that I was faking, and I know other women who have it worse, so I feel so whiny sometimes. It doesn't matter how bad it actually is (my last cycle was 19 days, 12 of which were bleeding, two of which I was passing golf ball sized clots...and I have a Nexplanon!), I feel like I'm trying to talk myself out of it. I'm scared, because I know that it might or might not fix the pain, but the bleeding is the worst part for me, so even if it's scary, it will be worth it. Even a 10% reduction in pain minus the bleeding is going to drastically improve my quality of life. We deserve to be able to do that for ourselves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinejo View Post
Backstory: as a child I was always told I was faking it when I was sick!

I have a partial hysterectomy scheduled in 26 days. I have an orange sized endometrial ovarian cyst on one ovary, something smaller on the other ovary. I also have a 3 cm fibroid on the outside of my uterus but my doctor tells me to remove it would require slicing open my uterus (not interested). There is also evidence of adenomyosis on my ultrasound, plus I have many of the classic symptoms. In addition, I have had painful period my whole life (going on 25 years, strangers have called the ambulance twice) and also deal with a heavy flow and large blood clots, and sex hurts. It was decided the best course of action was a hysterectomy to 1) deal with the adenomysis and 2) also give the doctor to give my doctor the best view/access to remove endometriosis. I will keep at least one, if not both ovaries.

I had one doctor recommend hysterectomy and another willing to do it, and said I would eventually need it.

But what is giving me pause is my last period wasn't that painful!!!!! Nor was the one that started today (okay, I was still in bed for a while) Typically, I take a lot of advil and still have trouble working/sleeping, but my last period I didn't take medicine in advance to see what happened and it was mild. Now I still did have discomfort for 5 days and large blood clots, soaked through a tampon in one hour. Also, still on days 4 and 5 I felt the classic uterine contractions of adenomyosis. And today, despite not being in a lot of pain today, I am not standing completely upright.

Other facts, I don't want kids and I don't want to have to have multiple operations. It still seems the hyster is the right thing to do?! Also, I suffer my chronic back pain despite being quite fit and I am hoping this is the cyst or the adenomysis. This may be caused by the adeno.

Okay, even writing this out made me feel a lot better! I deserve to be healthy. I have suffered a long time! And that is more important than my uterus that I am not using! This is interfering with my life and is constantly derailing my ability/desire to exercise the amount I want.

thanks for listening!
Unread 11-22-2016, 06:11 PM

Age 54, 10cm fibroid plus two smaller ones visible, pressure sometimes but no pain, heavy irregularly timed periods anywhere from 13-54 days apart. Sometimes they'd last 4 days, sometimes 10. Menopausal? Had no clue since I was still having irregular periods. My doctor with decades of experience suggested a partial hysterectomy, and I agreed. I think he knew we'd find more "stuff". My surgery was back in May.

Results: 15+ fibroids, and adenomyosis, not initially suspected. Since then, no more periods, no pressure, no pain, bladder leakage and loose bowels gone (apparently my ex-uterus Ol' Lumpy was pressing down). I kept my ovaries and I'm likely menopausal naturally with my ovaries still providing some hormones. At 6 months I've resumed nearly all activities except for more intense abs workouts.

Regrets: None whatsoever.

Sharing that to say you'll likely not know the full impact of what's going on inside until after you get the lab report. OTOH, it's major surgery, not a quick recovery like an appendectomy. If you've exhausted other options or feel they are not for you at this point, waiting could mean things deteriorate: fibroids CAN grow (mine doubled in 4 months after being unchanging at 5cm for 18+ years), and the nature of your surgery could change.

No matter what you decide, we're here to support you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2016, 08:54 PM

Every one and every hysterectomy is different.

I did feel like I had to justify mine at first, due to religious reasons (Roman Catholic deacon's wife). But, no one else had to live with what I had to live with, except for my spousal unit (and only by association on his part). Going ahead with my hysterectomy was one of the best decisions I have ever made regarding my health, and I don't regret it one bit.

Listen to what your body is telling you (OK, maybe screaming at you!). Like others have said, *you* know what's best for you and your body. Don't listen to anyone else!

We've all got your back, front, side, ... did I miss anything
Unread 11-23-2016, 02:36 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 12/15: Does anyone else have trouble justifying their surgery?

Thank you for your post . I'm only 36 and decided to go through with the Hysterectomy after a very painful trip to the emergency room and years of heavy bleeding but I still felt guilty for not just being able to deal with it . Your post made me feel better about my decision to fix the issues and now I'm 4 weeks post op and feel great !
Unread 11-23-2016, 05:51 AM

I had my hysterectomy two weeks ago. I had simple fibroids, making me bleed a lot. In February I was so dizzy from anemia that it made me throw up. I'm trying to get into cycling, but I'm not making the progress I want because I can't keep my Iron up. Sure, my periods were heavy; for a few days each month I didn't want to leave the house because I couldn't manage the blood. But then it would stop and I could go about my life painlessly. For years I told myself that my periods were somewhere in the range of normal and every woman goes through it.

So the pain from surgery wasn't as bad as my last period was. I'm still recovering and feeling pretty good! Twice I tried to talk the doctor out of the hysterectomy. She and my best friend applied gentle yet consistent pressure to get under the knife and make my life better. I believe I did the right thing. I believe my life is going to get better and I'm going to get healthier and I'm going to get faster on my bike.

I think you should do it.
Unread 11-30-2016, 07:30 PM

This post made me feel a little better. I too have troubles justifying my hysterectomy that I am getting Monday. I keep telling my self just to suck it up. It makes me feel better other people think the same way. I'm so scared I'm going to regret it since I am younger but am looking forward to less pain and less spotting ( I spot or have a period every day for the past 2+ years).
Unread 11-30-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim62482 View Post
This post made me feel a little better. I too have troubles justifying my hysterectomy that I am getting Monday. I keep telling my self just to suck it up. It makes me feel better other people think the same way. I'm so scared I'm going to regret it since I am younger but am looking forward to less pain and less spotting ( I spot or have a period every day for the past 2+ years).
Hi Kim, Sorry to hear you are going through this. Yes, it appears to be a common feeling! Now I am 38 and not interested in having children so this might not resonate with you, but something I tell me self is "I have earned the right to have no more periods!' Also it sounds in your case you have definitely suffered enough.
Unread 11-30-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpie View Post
I had my hysterectomy two weeks ago. I had simple fibroids, making me bleed a lot. In February I was so dizzy from anemia that it made me throw up. I'm trying to get into cycling, but I'm not making the progress I want because I can't keep my Iron up. Sure, my periods were heavy; for a few days each month I didn't want to leave the house because I couldn't manage the blood. But then it would stop and I could go about my life painlessly. For years I told myself that my periods were somewhere in the range of normal and every woman goes through it.

So the pain from surgery wasn't as bad as my last period was. I'm still recovering and feeling pretty good! Twice I tried to talk the doctor out of the hysterectomy. She and my best friend applied gentle yet consistent pressure to get under the knife and make my life better. I believe I did the right thing. I believe my life is going to get better and I'm going to get healthier and I'm going to get faster on my bike.

I think you should do it.
Thank you. This is helpful. My problems constantly get in the way of my rowing so I can completely relate. Thank you for the message from the other side, I love it. happy cycling.
Unread 11-30-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa0308 View Post
Thank you for your post . I'm only 36 and decided to go through with the Hysterectomy after a very painful trip to the emergency room and years of heavy bleeding but I still felt guilty for not just being able to deal with it . Your post made me feel better about my decision to fix the issues and now I'm 4 weeks post op and feel great !
Thank you. This message is so helpful to hear. I am still two weeks away, but time is moving a little fast!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register