Experimental surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Experimental surgery Experimental surgery

Unread 01-11-2002, 07:05 PM
Experimental surgery

Howdy - I'm new here. My name is JC, 33 years old, and I'm scheduled for my hyst on Feb 15th. I am having what is called a "laparoscopically-assisted suprapubic hysterectomy", which my doctor and her partners have experimented with several times with good success.

They will be removing only my uterus (for endometriosis, adenomyosis, and polyps), leaving my cervix and ovaries.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this type of surgery or knows of any "personal" experiences with it? I am an OB/GYN nurse, so I understand the technicalities of it, but I am still interested in finding out the personal side of it.

Thanks - JC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2002, 07:57 PM
Experimental surgery

Hi, I don't have any personal experience with that type of surgery, but one of our former hostesses, Dixie Tracy, had a lap assisted suprapubic hyst and posted about it in the Princesses Tell their Hyst-stories forum". Here's the link to her story.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...&threadid=8492
Unread 01-11-2002, 07:57 PM
Experimental surgery

Hi JC! Welcome to Hystersisters! I had a TVH so I don't know alot about the laprascopically assisted surgery, but I know alot of ladies have had that. In the meantime, you may want to click on the search button at the top of the page and type in laprascopically assisted suprapubic surgery and I think bunches ought to come up for you.

My very best wishes to you JC!

s

Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2002, 07:28 AM
i had a laproscopic hysterectomy

J.C. are you having a laproscopically assisted hyseterectomy or a laproscopic hyserectomy? Many people that I tell that I had a laproscopic hysterectomy mistake it for a lap assisted vaginal hysterectomy and they are two different things.
I had a supracervical laproscopic hyst they left the cervix and the ovaries although they did drain a cyst and could have taken the ovaries if the needed to. My doc has been doing htem for 5 years as has his partner although the other docs in the office do not do them one is going ot start to train. It is a procedure that takes longer and takes some skill and it is harder on the doc but much easier on the patient. They only detach the uterus from the cervix and clip it so no ohter tendons or ligaments are cut . I had mone done last friday on the 4th of January....I had general anesthesia was on a morphine pump for 12 hours when I made them take it out. I went home around lunch time the next day. I have four small lap incision with stitched which will come out next this coming tuesday. I have a couple of bruises and required no pain med at all after the third day took percocet only once a day for the first three days and that was mainly to sleep. I was told I can do whatever i want except lift and vacumm and I can drive and go places etc . My abdomen was a tad swollen the first three days but is back to normal now. I do get tired as truthfully anesthesia takes a lot out od you. I think the worse part for me was the sore arm from the iv. I did have help the first few DAYS AS i did not know what to expect and I am taking t easy . It is easy to forget with this kind of surgery that you have to take it easy becasue you feel pretty good and not at all as sore as people that have had abdomnial incisions. They will probably have you sign for an abdominal or lap assisted vaginal anyway in case they get in there and see somethign they can ot deal with laproscopically. They thake the uterus out by choppin git up in a morcellorator sp?
Good luck feel free to ask any questions if indeed you are having a laproscopic hyst.
Unread 01-28-2002, 08:49 AM
LASH/LSH

Hi:

My LASH is scheduled for lap assisted supracervical hysterectomy on Feb 13, I am supposed to be discharge the next day 2/14.

I doubt I will be able to get on the board that day, but we can compare notes after we're both feeling better!!
Unread 01-28-2002, 09:15 AM
Sorry my post was to JC

Sorry my original post was to JC about having the lap assisted supracervical hyst around the same time.

ctantiques:

How long did your surgery take? I mean total out time, I also want general anestesthia, since I am such a baby about o/r's but I've never been under for longer than 30min..

I am more worried about the recovery from the anestesthia than I am about the procedure itself, my girlfriend who is a PACU nurse told me to count on 72hrs for the anestesthia they use to leave your system, which has been pretty much on the mark from the other surgeries I have had, and I've only been under 30min.

Did they have you get up that night and walk, did they leave a catheter in for very long after the procedure? How did you feel right after the procedure, did you wake up in the PACU or in your room?

Sorry for all the questions, but I like to know what to expect so that I can tell if it's normal or not..

The morphine I had after my last procedure made my nose itch, it's a common reaction apparently, but I had only had one shot of that, it went away rather quickly..the percocet makes me vomit, I'd never had it before, so I won't be taking that..dr has both of these in my records..but you know I will be reminding the anestesthiologist!!

Anyway, thanks for putting your experience on the board, I was wondering if I was the only one having the laproscopic supracervial hysterectomy for awhile there, lol!!
Unread 01-28-2002, 09:24 AM
Oops

Sorry, for saying that I couldn't find other sisters on the board that had a LSH or LASH, why don't they just call the thing by ONE name for crying out loud, lol!!

Anyway, I did read the woman's story that is on the board, and I am so glad that she found such humor in her surgery and recovery, it was extremely helpful to read her story, makes me know that I am choosing the right type of hysterectomy for me!!

I LOVE this place!!
Unread 01-29-2002, 05:04 AM
Anna

I believe my surgery took about an hour and a half or slightly longer. I woke up in Recovry Room and then they took me to my room. I was on a Morphine pump for pain . The catheter was taken out 4 hours after I got back to my room and yes I was up walking that night.I took the iv pole along with me and actually walked every couple of hours. I was a tad nauseated from the Morhine but the minute I felt slightl nauseated I asked for a shot for nausea....that shot made me sleepier then the morphine but worked quicky and I had no more nausea. I made them take the morhine pump off at 4 am in the morning as my arm was sore and I did take a percocet two hour as later and then I took two prior to my ride home. I was in only about 27 hours total time and I was glad to get home . I felt good and needed only motrin after the first couple of days.
Unread 01-29-2002, 05:46 AM
Thank you

Thanks for letting me know how you did afterwards in the hospital

My dr also said I will be released sometime the next day.

When did you get the ok to drive?

I am having my surgery on a Wed, DH is taking wed, thurs and friday off, but not the next week..

So I will either have to line up someone to get the kids to school, if I can't drive by Monday.

Thanks

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register