just scheduled for surgery: full of emotions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

just scheduled for surgery: full of emotions just scheduled for surgery: full of emotions

Unread 03-17-2010, 06:17 PM
just scheduled for surgery: full of emotions

After 2 years of low iron and ferritin levels, numerous hospital visits, transfusions, tests, and 4 doctors later, I am now scheduled for surgery. Life has been horrible.....to say the least! I am so nervous, relieved in a way, depressed and glad to finally see and end in site. I think that waiting is going to be hard. I was online looking at all the sites about hysterectomys and came across this site. No one around me has had a hysterectomy, so I came here for some support and information. Thanks in advance for your support and info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Re: just scheduled for surgery: full of emotions

Welcome , there are alot of wonderful ladies here.

I am a little over 2 weeks post op and I would say that the waiting was the hardest part for me.

Try to stay busy with things that you enjoy. I also did things around the house to prepare my family for when I was going to be recovering. I cooked up extra meals and froze them for starters. Also bought some new Pj's and some books to read.

I had a wide variety of emotions but my advice is to hold onto the fact that you will feel better once you get to the other side. It was so worth it ~ I'm so glad I had the surgery!

Feel free to ask questions.

Unread 03-17-2010, 07:56 PM

I finally had that call from my doctor's assistant telling me the day for my TAH, I been waiting for it full of different kind of emotions, march 29 is the big day, I think I'm crazy but I feel nervous,anxious,worry,scare but happy at the same time. do any body feel that way?
I've been reading a lot and talking to my doc. about it and very important I found you guys. thanks!
now I just going to leave everything ready around the house I have two kids and they will be out the school that week for spring break and this is my last week of work.
if you have any other tips to feel better before surgery?

smallrose
age 41
6/09 left ovary removed(ovarian cyst)
endometriosis,adenomyosis,fibroids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2010, 08:00 PM

Welcome Dragonfly. You have come to a wonderful place. Everybody here has been where you are. I did everything I could to keep my mind off the surgery (exercised, read, worked, cooked, baked...). I know it sounds easier than done, but you can do it. Do the things you enjoy to keep your mind occupied. Just remember, in no time you will be home and feeling so much better than you did before the surgery. Keep your eye on the prize! May I ask what kind of hysterectomy you'll be having? I had a laparoscopic vaginally assisted hysterectomy....uterus/cervix. I kept my ovaries. I am the same as pinkpansy ^^ a little over 2 weeks post op. I feel terrific and have for awhile. My path report showed no cancer. This surgery was one of the best things I've done fro me. Hang in there...it gets better. This too shall pass.
Unread 03-17-2010, 08:40 PM

Kathymctoo:
I am having an abdominal, hopefully leaving my ovaries, not sure about cervix. Thinking about having a tummy tuck as well, since they are already in there. I have time to think about that as well.
Glad to hear you are also doing good! I know that it will be better...it is just getting to that part. I am just know getting over an inner ear infection so I have been down 3 days, just right after my surgery was planned. So lots of time to lay and do nothing. Tomorrow will be better I am sure. Back to work on Friday I hope. Thanks for all your support and encouragement, ladies! It means alot to me, I look forward to talking with many of you in the days and weeks and months ahead!
Unread 03-17-2010, 08:52 PM

I had a TAH BSO with vertical incision and am 5 weeks post op...was a bit of an unexpected surgery so I didn't really have long to worry over it!...the most important thing I can say is DON"T OVER DO IT!! :-) I felt pretty good after a week or two and then proceded to do too much and back slid a bit...doctor got after me :-) ...I rested and then felt much better.... it's hard to lay around and do nothing when you see that things need to be done but remember that you are doing the important job...healing!!

Things that helped after my surgery were...comedies to cheer up on "sad" days(although laughing sort of hurt HA!), lots of pillows on my comfy couch...gallons of watered down apple juice and lots of prunes and fresh grapes.... lots of books...

Best thing that you can do for gas pains is to walk walk walk!! I was up in a chair a few hours after surgery and walking the halls that same night...it will help a lot!

Also ask about the possibility of a spinal with your anesthetic...keeps your belly numb for a while..was a wonderful thing for myself!

Good Luck :-)
Unread 03-17-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly1 View Post
Kathymctoo:
I am having an abdominal, hopefully leaving my ovaries, not sure about cervix. Thinking about having a tummy tuck as well, since they are already in there. I have time to think about that as well.
Glad to hear you are also doing good! I know that it will be better...it is just getting to that part. I am just know getting over an inner ear infection so I have been down 3 days, just right after my surgery was planned. So lots of time to lay and do nothing. Tomorrow will be better I am sure. Back to work on Friday I hope. Thanks for all your support and encouragement, ladies! It means alot to me, I look forward to talking with many of you in the days and weeks and months ahead!
I'm sorry you have an ear infection. Those are pretty painful. When is your surgery scheduled for?
Arm yourself with lots of knowledge about your surgery. I talked to my Dr., and then I did a lot of online research. I had 3 c sections, so I wasn't really worried about the pain part, or the gas. It's true, walking does wonders...so does Gas x. I wanted to know exactly what they were going to do, how long it should take, how long I would be in the hospital, etc. I didn't know until I came to in the recovery room, whether they were able to do it laparoscopically, or if they had to do the abdominal cut. A lot of faith, positive support (this site is wonderful), friends, and family helped me through. Hang out here...there's lotsa love! Sending you positive thoughts & strength.
Unread 03-18-2010, 07:58 AM

Dragonfly- you have definitely come to the right place! Everyone here is either going through or have been through the same ups and downs of emotion you are experiencing.

I had a full hysterectomy with ovaries and cervix out too, DaVinci on Feb 22. This was after 15 years of dealing with fibroids, heavy periods, PMS that would kill a man, and finally multiple biopsies that were promising to be ongoing. I feel great!!! I am back to work, although taking it easy with no lifting, bending and taking the elevator instead of the stairs. I even went home yesterday and did not feel the need to take a nap. Sometimes I have to actively remind myself I am still healing on the inside and I need to slow down.

Everyone heals differently and at their own pace. You need to listen to your body and your doctor and pamper yourself. Good luck!
Unread 03-18-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymctoo View Post
I'm sorry you have an ear infection. Those are pretty painful. When is your surgery scheduled for?
Arm yourself with lots of knowledge about your surgery. I talked to my Dr., and then I did a lot of online research. I had 3 c sections, so I wasn't really worried about the pain part, or the gas. It's true, walking does wonders...so does Gas x. I wanted to know exactly what they were going to do, how long it should take, how long I would be in the hospital, etc. I didn't know until I came to in the recovery room, whether they were able to do it laparoscopically, or if they had to do the abdominal cut. A lot of faith, positive support (this site is wonderful), friends, and family helped me through. Hang out here...there's lotsa love! Sending you positive thoughts & strength.
Kathymctoo: I am finally up today without throwing up, just a bit of light headedness. If everything is still better I am going to go back to work tomorrow. I really need to be busy! My surgery isn't until April 13th. It was moved from March 30th. I have been doing lots of research for the last 2 years.....Lots more this last week. I am looking forward to talking with my dr. again and getting the rest of my questions answered now that it has sunk in a little more. THank you all for being so honest and upfront with your experiences and feelings!! It makes knowing what to expect real and not from a book or online research. But real life! I think that this is one of the most valuable tools out there. I don't have anyone I know that has had a hysterectomy, and I am 46. My family is scared and how do you just bring up feelings with friends who are just as scrared of the whole thing as well. THey are trying...So to be able to talk with you all here will be helpful. THANKS!
Unread 03-18-2010, 05:53 PM

Dragonfly:

You are on the right track and for lack of a better term you are completely "normal". Use the tabs in the site, there are sections in the preop area that help you with formulating questions for the MD as well as ones in the postop section when the time comes.

Learn about what types of procedures there are as well as what the MD is planning. I went thru some similiarities as you. Last year, I started bleeding in June and didn't stop til Oct. I had 3 transfusions during that period. My hemoglobin was a 3.9 in July (prior to the 1st transfusion) and was a 13 when I went in for the surgery on 3.5.

I went on Lupron in Oct (no serious side effects). It stopped the bleeding and shrunk the fibroidsand uterus. In March, the procedure was less invasive (laproscopic instead of abdominal) and safer since my hemoglobin was up. Uterus/cervix intact. My pathology was negative. Diagnosis: fibroids/adenomyosis. Uterus roughly 750 g. (which is large).

BUT, I returned to work 7 business days after the procedure. I have a serious bruise that is healing. Am on OTC ibuprophen. My DH is driving me as an additional precaution and I do have a desk job. This is obviously a unique situation.

The important thing is to get/be informed and work in partnership with your physician.

Research, look for sources of support and information, and ask, ask, ask questions.

This has been a wonderful resource and source of support and encourage for me. I have spent many sleepless nights...worrying, wondering and drawing strength from these wonderful women's stories.

Please keep in touch.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register