Pain meds other than codeine... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain meds other than codeine... Pain meds other than codeine...

Unread 04-14-2004, 09:06 PM
Pain meds other than codeine...

Hello, my Sisters! I just got my TVH date set: Friday, April 23rd. I am actually looking forward to getting this over. Many years of pain and 3 months after Adenomyosis diagnosis--could it actually be coming to an end??

Anyhoo, I have a weird reaction to codeine pain killers. They make me hyper! You can really clean a house like that, but I'm supposed to be resting. I can't imagine how in the world I'll be able to sit still if I'm taking those for pain.

What are the alternatives? I am a real wuss. I don't tolerate pain well at all, and I am stressed about being, well, stressed! I know a lot of people are allergic to codeine--what did they give you? I wanna be relaxed and sleepy.

Thanks for any help! I have gotten so much great info and confidence from the HysterSisters--I'm so glad I found you!

Hugs n More Hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2004, 09:09 PM

I had a demerol drip in the castle, then was put on percocet. Not sure if either is a codeine derivative, but both of them worked great for me. You may want to talk to your doctor and the A-man.

s
Cat
Unread 04-14-2004, 09:55 PM

I'm extremely allergic to codeine, and have bad reactions to all other narcotic pain killers. So, no morpheine, vicodin, percocet, darvoset, oxycodone...Doesnt leave much LOL
I had demarol and toradol in my IV. demarol knocks me out, but at least it doesnt make me vomit. After IV came out, I used advil. Thats about all I CAN use. Believe me, it was enough. For me, doc allows 800mg every 4 hours ,along with 1000mg tylenol. I'm allowed those doses for several days, then cut out the tylenol. I've done this thru 5 surgeries without problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2004, 12:10 AM

I'm a BIG fan of Toradol. Please click on the link to read more about it: Toradol pain control
Unread 04-15-2004, 08:18 AM

Aloha, Aloha!

That drug sounds great (I read the attachment you recommended)--but I wonder if it will upset my gall bladder and stomach.....I cannot take N-SAIDs anymore because I ended up in the ER for duodentitis. I took them for 2 years for the menstrual pain I have.

I guess maybe since it will be in the IV, going into the blood stream and by-passing the stomach, maybe it will be okay.

Let me write this down......yet another ?? for the surgeon! My list is starting to look like the Spanish Inquisition!

Thanks alot!
Unread 04-15-2004, 09:23 AM

I used vicoden which works well for me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register