Still can not sleep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still can not sleep Still can not sleep

Unread 02-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Still can not sleep

I just don't understand.....I still can not sleep. I am going on week 4 of post op and have been off the pain meds for two weeks. Doctor suggested switching to Advil from tyl. so I did that, and haven't had any intwo days. I am not in any pain, I have only been taking one knap in the afternoon for about an hour, I am not under any additional stress and here I sit. The DH sleeps so peacfully and sometimes I just want to just go jump on the bed and make everybody get up...lol Kidding I wouldn't do that even if "I could". Anybody have any suggestions? I know with my last post someone suggested Ambian. I seen an ad for Unisom which is an over the counter sleep aid....anybody tried that? I just wan to sleep at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Still can not sleep

Hi Theresa I see by your signature that you had your ovaries removed. Are you using HRT? Insomnia is one of the first signs of low estrogen. When my patch dosage was too low, even though I didn't have hot flashes, I had anxiety and insomnia. I would climb into bed and my mind would race, and I'd lay there not able to even close my eyes. Once I got my estrogen levels up, I started sleeping really well.

Meantime, there are over the counter things you can try to help you sleep. Warm Ovaltine is effective for some women - it's because of the malt. A turkey sandwich may work, because of the tryptophan in the turkey - it is the stuff that makes us tired after Thanksgiving dinner. Or you could take 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan), an OTC supplement that metabolizes to tryptophan (actual tryptophan itself is not available in the US, though it used to be). Some women swear by Melatonin. Some like Tylenol PM, and some like Benadryl. I find that Sleepytime Extra tea, with valerian, can help. And a long, warm shower, especially if you can sit down in the shower, might help you relax as well.

I hope some of those ideas help you... and that you'll ask your DR about whether your estrogen level might be a little low.

s,
-Linda
Unread 02-12-2008, 02:13 AM
Still can not sleep

Well unisom doesn't work...I even took two of them in a desperate attempt to sleep. I am wondering if I have RLS I say this because although I have a pressure in my pelvis/vaginal area the most aggrivation is in my legs like I just want to stretch them really hard, it is a weird feeling, but this is what is keeping me awake. It is 4:15am and I can not even put into words how aggrivated I am right now.....UGH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2008, 03:23 AM
Still can not sleep

Theresa,

I am right there with you. I am at 3 weeks post op and just really ready to lose my mind here. I sit and look at the time, It is usally 5 or 6 am before I can fall asleep. Then the kiddos get up at 7 for school. I went to the dr. and asked about some help. He rx'd me some meds and I am hoping they will work. I will pick them up in the a.m. I just sit and watch my hubby sleep and he does is soooo peacefully I wish I could. I hope you are able to get some rest soon.
Unread 02-12-2008, 03:26 AM
Still can not sleep

(((Theresa))) You might try some magnesium for the possible RLS. Are you taking calcium since your surgery? Most of us are told to take 1000 or 1500mg of calcium, but we're usually not told to take magnesium with it in a 2:1 ratio (so, for example, I take 1500mg calcium and 750mg magnesium daily). Magnesium has the added benefit that it helps prevent the constipation that calcium can cause.

Also, do let your DR know about the feelings in your legs.

s and I hope you get some soon,
-Linda
Unread 02-15-2008, 01:38 AM
Still can not sleep

I'm 6 weeks post op, and it's 3 AM so the insomnia is still an issue for me too.

Moved from the recliner to bed about a week ago, still hard to find comfortable position in bed. Lucky if I get 2.5 or 3 hours sleep at a time.

And when I do finally get comfortable the hot flash kicks in!

I'm reluctant to trying any of the sleep aids, as I don't want to rely on meds for everything.
Unread 02-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Still can not sleep

I've been having a horrible time with sleep too. Last night I finally threw in the towel and took an Ambien. I had some left from when we moved from Europe back to the States last summer, (they are awesome for jet lag,) and it worked like a charm. I finally got my first good night sleep in weeks. If you can't get a couple of Ambien to break the cycle and get back on sleep track, then try some of the things Surferbabe suggested. Tylenol PM is just tylenol with Benadryl added to it. It gives a bit of a hangover, but then so does everything else. Believe me, I've tried them all, but what works depends on your body chemistry.
I hope you get some sleep soon, I know what torture it is!
Unread 02-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Still can not sleep

Tduke,
I know what you're going through. I had 0 hours of sleep last night!! Besides insomnia, I am dealing with dry skin, dry eyes, acne ( ugh! ) hot flashes, brain fog, and joint pain just to name a few. Which are all symptoms dealing with estrogen deficiency. I just picked up my compounded prescription for estrogen capsules and a progesterone cream, which the pharmacist said will make me drowsy. YEAH! If the only symptom you are experiencing is insomnia call your doctor and have him give you a low dose sleeping pill. They gave me 5mg of Lunestra in the hospital and I slept like a baby! Looking forward to sleeping tonight. Either the bottle of wine or progesterone will put me asleep tonight, I hope!
Unread 02-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Still can not sleep

LoL I though about hitting the wine bottle myself. Good luck I hope you can sleep tonight. Each night I think to myskef tonight I am going to sleep ....NOT I do not know if it is from not enough estogen or not enough iron which is a cause of that restless leg syndrom. My doctor was not in yesterday or today so I am suffering til Monday. Again good luck tonight I hope you sleep.
Unread 02-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Still can not sleep

If I were you I would skip the afternoon nap entirely and go for a walk of at least one hour. Exercise helps sleep come, especially if you exercise in the morning and then stay awake until your regular bedtime. It might take a couple of days for it to kick in, but if you stick with it, you should have success.

As for the RLS, i suffered with it for years prior to my LAVH (1/22/08) due to anemia from heavy bleeding (and being vegetarian). It feels like ants crawling underneath your skin, from your toes up to half way up to your knees and you have to constantly move them. RLS responds to iron, so if it's possible you could be anemic, you could take an iron pill daily. Since my surgery I have had no episodes, whereas before I was having several per week, all in the evening or at night.

Good luck... it's awful not being able to sleep.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register