Fibroids not showing up on US??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids not showing up on US??? Fibroids not showing up on US???

Unread 09-29-2015, 11:21 AM
Fibroids not showing up on US???

Anyone out there who had an US that did not show fibroids but they were discovered during surgery?

My doc can feel something during an exam but nothing shows on imaging. I do have a severely retro flexed uterus so maybe that complicates things.?

I have every symptom of fibroids so this is very confusing to me.

Surgery next week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2015, 03:30 PM
Re: Fibroids not showing up on US???

US is a very imprecise imaging technique. A lot of it depends on the skills of the person doing it. You will read several cases on this board where women had more or less fibroids (usually more) than what the US showed going into surgery. The better test is an MRI for determining if you have fibroids and how many, but it is more expensive so most doctors just order the US and leave it at that.

My US showed two fibroids and my MRI showed three with potentially more smaller ones. Personally when it comes to fibroids I say screw the US because it isn't very reliable. It may give you an idea of what is going on but doesn't give you the whole story.
Unread 09-29-2015, 07:38 PM

Hi Light and love -

I had an ultrasound and a MRI. The ultrasound was to diagnose the mass my GP found during my annual exam, as well as to explain why my uterus felt swollen and bent over. The ultrasound diagnosed a very large complex ovarian cyst (12x9x11 cm), and also saw numerous fibroids. Since the US could not see the origin of the cyst, they performed an MRI. The MRI confirmed the complex ovarian cyst diagnosis, and saw many more fibroids than the ultrasound.

The MRI was pricey though, so they may or may not do it for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2015, 07:47 PM

I had multiple US's, some vaginal, and all showed fibroids. What led me to continue seeking treatment, and changing doctors, was that each US showed different fibroids in different places, of different sizes. Wait, it's a grapefruit on my uterus, oh now it's a lemon on my ovary. I could not get two US's to show the same thing.

I live in one of the best cities for medical care, and each OB/GYN was "the best." It was amazing.

I finally went to yet another doctor (number 5!!), who ordered an MRI. Never had a fibroid. Adenomyosis. After surgery, pathology confirmed: never even had the tiniest fibroid.

So my advice: push for an MRI.
Unread 09-29-2015, 07:55 PM

Thanks for your replies. My hysterectomy is next week so I don't really need an MRI at this point. Whatever the mass is she is feeling we will found out for sure what it is next week.

With your Adenomyosis did you feel like your belly was "bulky" and large? Eating is hard to do anymore because I feel like something is inside me taking up a bunch of room. Heartburn, indigestion, etc.

The only think that showed on any imaging was a cyclic ovarian cyst and a uterine polyp.
Unread 09-29-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light and love View Post

With your Adenomyosis did you feel like your belly was "bulky" and large? Eating is hard to do anymore because I feel like something is inside me taking up a bunch of room. Heartburn, indigestion, etc.
Yes, bulky and large. And I could feel it, like a large bulge.

I had a hard time eating prior to surgery as well. I existed on nutritional drinks.

Very best going into your surgery!
Unread 09-29-2015, 08:39 PM

That makes me feel a lot better. I give up on eating most days.
I've had FOUR cesareans so I know that can increase the chances of Adeno. I wouldn't be surprised if pathology came back with it.

I'm so tired of looking pregnant. I am small framed so my belly is very easily noticeable. I have resorted to only wearing dresses now.

Looking forward to surgery!
Never thought I'd say that!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register