Upcoming hysterectomy 10/1: Surgery is getting too close for my liking - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 10/1: Surgery is getting too close for my liking Upcoming hysterectomy 10/1: Surgery is getting too close for my liking

Unread 09-30-2015, 11:54 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 10/1: Surgery is getting too close for my liking

I definitely brushed my teeth, but I made sure to spit rather than swallow. Also, although I was told NBM after midnight, an exception was made for a sip of water to go with my morning meds (citalopram, Synthroid).

I was really lucky with rubbish day because here it's actually rubbish night, Tuesday night, and my surgery was on Wednesday. When I headed out for the bus station, there was *no* rubbish left behind in the house. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2015, 12:35 PM

Officially clean including hair I have brushed my teeth and now officially NBM. I am now going to go get rid of all the rubbish from my house to get it super tidy as when I come home from the hospital my wonderful parents are moving in for a week each with dad here the first weekend as well. Nothing like the parents coming to induce a cleaning frenzy on top of the pre-surgery jitters lol. After that I will be emailing my parents a list of people I think I should know how things went along with their contact details so I only need to tell my parents and they can spend the time telling everyone else for me since I will be alone in the hospital.
Unread 09-30-2015, 01:03 PM

I was surprised by how many people told me they wanted to be kept updated regarding how my surgery was going and/or to be authorized by me to get information from the hospital. I was fairly sure that the hospital wasn't going to let me authorize a dozen different people!

Then a friend of mine who lives in my surgery offered to come stay in the hospital while I was having surgery *and* to keep people updated via e-mail. I asked everyone else to make sure they were okay with her having their e-mail addresses, then sent her the list. One of the people on the list was my middle sister. I put Sis in charge of keeping my mother and other siblings informed.

By the time I got back to my computer three days after surgery, pretty much everyone who wanted to know the latest already knew the latest. It was great! :-)

Also, my friend took a photo of me just after I woke up from surgery, showed it to me for my approval and then sent it out to everyone, including to my home e-mail. I looked at it three days later and thought, OMG, I look completely stoned! There was a reason for that - I *was* completely stoned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2015, 01:24 PM

That's the type of thing I want to happen but since I don't have anyone I want seeing me at the hospital to do that (there are a couple of other friends who could but I would rather not have them do this) as they are out of town or have children at home they can't leave because partner isn't there, I am stuck doing it myself but I will just tell my wonderful parents and then I don't have to think of it.

Rubbish is done now, I made sure to find every bin in the house, checked the fridge for potential science experiments and also cleaned up just outside the back door to finish filling up the extra bag I started.

About 5 hours to go. Thanks so much for posting so much surprised! The good thing about posting online is people can ignore you if they want and I can say as much as I like. I ramble worse when anxious but I ramble a lot generally anyway.

Time to go do some housework I think.
Unread 09-30-2015, 03:34 PM

I was rather surprised when my friend said she wanted to be there at the hospital, as I figured I'd be on my own. All I originally asked her to do was to give me a ride home (about two hours) when I was released, as I wouldn't be up for walking to/from the bus station at that point. I can't for the life of me understand *why* she wanted to hang out at the hospital all day, but she said she did. (I'm not good at understanding other people generally.)

Some people have mentioned needing someone at the hospital who can make medical decisions if necessary, but of course my friend wouldn't have been able to do that. My official next-of-kin is my sister in the States. I made sure that the hospital knew that and had her contact info just in case.
Unread 09-30-2015, 03:41 PM

I have a friend that would volunteer for it if I asked but as nice as she is, she doesn't have the personality I want around me when I am recovering so I haven't asked her. The friend I would love to do that is home with her 4 kids as it is holidays and she is going out of town tomorrow so doesn't have the opportunity to come in and help. She is however going to be dropping me off which is good.

So less than 3 hours to check in and I have finally thrown a few things in a bag. Mostly a few toiletries, some underwear, slippers, my kindle and charger which works for my phone, one new nighty in case I want a change and I will rewear the clothes I have on now to head home. I also have a lunchbox full of fudge to share around while I am there.

I just need to do the finishing touches to the house and make up the contacts list for my wonderful parents to go through this evening. Not enough stuff to fill in the next 2ish hours before I head to my friends house for her to drop me off. But I will get through it somehow. Time passes whether you want it to or not
Unread 09-30-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZDamia View Post
I have a friend that would volunteer for it if I asked but as nice as she is, she doesn't have the personality I want around me when I am recovering so I haven't asked her...
My sister offered to come up from the States to be here for my first week of recovery. I love her to bits, but she's got OCD plus she's a clean freak, while I'm the kind of person that when I'm not feeling well, I just want the rest of the world to Leave Me Alone.

I politely declined her offer, explaining that I would need my own space. She said, well, maybe she "needed" to be here. I said, hey, I'm the person with cancer, my needs rule.

There aren't a lot of good sides to having cancer, but at least you get to use lines like that.

She ended up coming up for my fifth week after surgery. By then I could get around pretty well and we had a great time.
Unread 09-30-2015, 05:27 PM

With 2 kids at home with me (no partner) I don't have a lot of choice but accepting my parents wonderful offer of coming to stay for a week each from Saturday when I should get out. As much as my Parents are wonderful, I am not looking forward to having them live with me as then my house isn't my space, I have to share it (good thing and bad thing rolled into one) As they are also my landlords, I should have done a lot more for an inspection but oh well, the house is as good as it gets for now. If they aren't happy, guess they will be fixing it themselves for a bit

Anyway, I have 20 mins and then I will hop in my car and go to my friends which is just around the corner before she takes me for the 15 min drive to the hospital so all close and easy to do. I have 60 mins until check in time so I will make this my last post and see everyone "on the other side"
Unread 09-30-2015, 05:30 PM

Good luck!
Unread 09-30-2015, 05:32 PM

Ok, so this is my last post, just went to the loo and found out why I have been uncomfortable since yesterday, I must be more stressed than I knew as I am trying to spot when 10 days or so before I would usually get a period. Silly body trying to sneak in one last one. Well it is not going to! Lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register