5 weeks post hysterectomy and repairs: Flank pain, sharp pressure in abdomen and stomach feeling unusually full/heavy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 weeks post hysterectomy and repairs: Flank pain, sharp pressure in abdomen and stomach feeling unusually full/heavy? 5 weeks post hysterectomy and repairs: Flank pain, sharp pressure in abdomen and stomach feeling unusually full/heavy?

Unread 07-22-2016, 05:53 PM
5 weeks post hysterectomy and repairs: Flank pain, sharp pressure in abdomen and stomach feeling unusually full/heavy?

My surgery was on June 16th, 2016 and I had this long fancy titled procedure:
ROBOTIC TOTAL LAPAROSCOPIC HYSTERECTOMY WITH BILATERAL SALPINGECTOMY, ENTEROCELE REPAIR, UTERSACRAL LIGAMENT SUSPENSION, POSTERIOR COLPOPERINEORRHAPHY, CYSTOSCOPY

I'm currently hanging out in bed for the weekend until we can call my doctor Monday but I'm feeling flank pain, sharp abdominal pressure and I feel like my stomach is heavier, or lower than usually, plus feeling a bit bloated. I also have this feeling going down into my leg and into my groin area that feels like warm water is traveling.

I've had tons of vaginal pain thanks to varicose veins and repairs done to strengthen the walls by the bladder and rectum.

I'm not sure if this is a sign I've been over doing it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was, but I'm hoping this doesn't mean I've screwed up my entire recovery.. I lifted my toddler 2 days ago because it was his birthday and he's heavier than the limit I've been given.

Not taking pain medication but am taking cannabis oil and using a salve for pain. (Cannabis is legal in my state.)

I'm not looking for a medical diagnosis but more maybe some input from others who might have gone through this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2016, 07:20 PM
5 weeks post hysterectomy and repairs: Flank pain, sharp pressure in abdomen and stomach feeling unusually full/heavy?

I was just coming here to ask a similar question! I had a Laproscopic hysterectomy June 7. Started to feel really pretty good about a week ago. Had a super busy week from last Friday til today- a lot of driving to and from kid's camps, parties, a day at the water park, outdoor concert, work, etc. Yesterday I started to feel not great. Very bloated (I haven't had the deeply belly in a few weeks), pain like I had post surgery, crampy in the legs. I also started teaching my yoga classes again, and I feel like I overdid last night. I'm thankful I have nothing to do tomorrow, I plan on being in bed all day!!
Unread 07-24-2016, 05:29 AM
Re: 5 weeks post hysterectomy and repairs: Flank pain, sharp pressure in abdomen and stomach feeling unusually full/heav

Quote:
Originally Posted by retropineapple View Post
I'm currently hanging out in bed for the weekend until we can call my doctor Monday but I'm feeling flank pain, sharp abdominal pressure and I feel like my stomach is heavier, or lower than usually, plus feeling a bit bloated. I also have this feeling going down into my leg and into my groin area that feels like warm water is traveling.
I'm not sure if this is a sign I've been over doing it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was, but I'm hoping this doesn't mean I've screwed up my entire recovery.. I lifted my toddler 2 days ago because it was his birthday and he's heavier than the limit I've been given.
... love your screen name, btw!

I'd hoped someone who'd experienced something similar might have been able to share her insight. We've all had days when we overdid it, so I'll share what I can. It's true pain can resurface when we overdo it, and if you're thinking "Did I overdo it" there's a good chance you did. Your body will let you know. Healing comes in stages rather than in a straight line with earlier scar tissue being replaced by stronger tissue, at which point the earlier tissue dissolves. That tissue replacement can give us zingers as well, and should we strain ourselves during that time, we can pull things. Any of those could explain the pains.

The abdominal swelling is common enough to have a nickname and its own emoji, swelly belly . Compare our surgery with all the internal cuts to an injury like a broken arm, sprained ankle, or burn. Fluids gather around the inflammation as a part of the healing process and the area swells. As you heal, swelling goes down, you do more, swelling goes up again. If I had to put a familiar description on it, it's sort of like water weight. Sometimes it's nothing more than daily living which makes it worse, and as we heal we seem to notice it more in the evenings. It also is more noticeable when <drumroll> we've overdone it - and I'd wager most of us have swelly belly stories to share.

The feeling in your leg... no clue, but I'm thinking it might be pressure on a nerve. I've had nerve tinglings not related to surgery that could be described as water flowing.

It doesn't necessarily mean you've screwed up your recovery. You're doing the right things by resting & taking it easy, and calling the doc on Monday. If you're taking any supplement, run it by your doctor - I even ran senna tablets for constipation by mine. How are you feeling today? If better, you're probably okay and lesson learned. It's hard not to pick up your child (especially when they're crying) and at that age they don't understand why mommy can't do something. Invite your child to sit by you and snuggle up with books for mommy-and-me time.
Rest well, and update us when you can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2016, 04:13 AM

I can't comment on any of that except the heaviness. I found that if I wore "real" pants I would get the heaviness and also feel like I needed to go pee. Once I would change my pants for comfort it slowly would get better. But I can go out to my daily life outside the house in Jammies.

Good luck

QUOTE=retropineapple;4809154]My surgery was on June 16th, 2016 and I had this long fancy titled procedure:
ROBOTIC TOTAL LAPAROSCOPIC HYSTERECTOMY WITH BILATERAL SALPINGECTOMY, ENTEROCELE REPAIR, UTERSACRAL LIGAMENT SUSPENSION, POSTERIOR COLPOPERINEORRHAPHY, CYSTOSCOPY

I've had tons of vaginal pain thanks to varicose veins and repairs done to strengthen the walls by the bladder and rectum.

Not taking pain medication but am taking cannabis oil and using a salve for pain. (Cannabis is legal in my state.)

I'm not looking for a medical diagnosis but more maybe some input from others who might have gone through this.[/quote]
Unread 07-28-2016, 07:31 AM

Thank you for your input ladies.The doctor said everything looked great at my follow up so guess everything is normal

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register