Scheduled TAH Iron Infusions before hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Iron Infusions before hysterectomy Iron Infusions before hysterectomy

Unread 03-06-2016, 09:19 PM
Iron Infusions before hysterectomy

I am scheduled for my hysterectomy in April. I now have to see a hematologist for iron infusions. Has anyone experienced this and what can i expect? My level is at a 6.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2016, 06:16 AM
Re: Iron Infusions before hysterectomy

After my 2nd child I was at 7. Tried waiting to see if I would correct, but alas 9 months and many Dr appt later I was scheduled for 4 four hour SYNTHETIC type iron infusions. Not sure if you'll have actual or synthetic version as I. Hubby and I were given the choice, and went with this as fears of disease won out. This was many years ago, I think I'd be more comfortable choosing a more natural approach now! The infusions were pretty simple. Hook up to iv and 4 hours of tv nap reading, whatever!! Occasionally I'd hurt a bit at site. My sweet nurse was quick with a simple warm washcloth over my site which was generally good enough! By 2nd infusion I felt so much better than I had for a long time. I purchased wall paper at that point, and by end of 4th session I was chomping to get to hanging it! Bleeding and levels were manageable for four years till we completed our family and1 year and 3 months later I had an ablation. Dr teased about 5 years later that he's tempted to give me the okay to donate blood as my numbers were actually HIGH!!! It's amazing how our lady parts can be working so hard against us!! The ablation was not 100%, but effective enough to give me 1 day periods. However, long raging bright red periods the past few months combined with 5 years of cervical lesions will be what I'll be surrendering in a few weeks. I'll be carefully in tune with my body to make sure surgery is not taxing me too bad (different doctor, other retired), but I am welcoming the peace that this cause of my anemia is in my past! Yay us!!!
Unread 03-07-2016, 06:22 AM

Oh and I'll be insisting on pre ope and post op tests of iron levels. One before I leave hospital and at office check up. Don't want to confuse post surgery issues with anemia. I've not had any surgery this big before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2016, 12:23 PM

Ever since being diagnosed with anemia, I've had a number of iron infusions. My most recent was one two weeks before my hysterectomy followed up by one one week before surgery.

They are no muss, no fuss. I get injectafer. The actual infusion process via IV takes 15-20 minutes and then they keep me for observation for 30 minutes.
Unread 03-07-2016, 12:40 PM

I have just finished my second round of iron infusion. For me I have to get pretreated with iv Benadryl and steroids due to an allergic reaction after my first infusion a year ago. So I really sleep the whole day after receiving the infusion. My hysterectomy is on March 17 hopefully my body will have had time to absorb the iron. It can sometimes take me 4 weeks before my levels sees an increase. The process isn't more than 30 min if your just getting the iron and then they keep you for another 30 min to observe you to make sure their isn't any reaction to the infusion.
Unread 03-07-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloukline View Post
After my 2nd child I was at 7. Tried waiting to see if I would correct, but alas 9 months and many Dr appt later I was scheduled for 4 four hour SYNTHETIC type iron infusions. Not sure if you'll have actual or synthetic version as I. Hubby and I were given the choice, and went with this as fears of disease won out. This was many years ago, I think I'd be more comfortable choosing a more natural approach now! The infusions were pretty simple. Hook up to iv and 4 hours of tv nap reading, whatever!! Occasionally I'd hurt a bit at site. My sweet nurse was quick with a simple warm washcloth over my site which was generally good enough! By 2nd infusion I felt so much better than I had for a long time. I purchased wall paper at that point, and by end of 4th session I was chomping to get to hanging it! Bleeding and levels were manageable for four years till we completed our family and1 year and 3 months later I had an ablation. Dr teased about 5 years later that he's tempted to give me the okay to donate blood as my numbers were actually HIGH!!! It's amazing how our lady parts can be working so hard against us!! The ablation was not 100%, but effective enough to give me 1 day periods. However, long raging bright red periods the past few months combined with 5 years of cervical lesions will be what I'll be surrendering in a few weeks. I'll be carefully in tune with my body to make sure surgery is not taxing me too bad (different doctor, other retired), but I am welcoming the peace that this cause of my anemia is in my past! Yay us!!!
Thank you!
Unread 03-07-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonya717 View Post
I have just finished my second round of iron infusion. For me I have to get pretreated with iv Benadryl and steroids due to an allergic reaction after my first infusion a year ago. So I really sleep the whole day after receiving the infusion. My hysterectomy is on March 17 hopefully my body will have had time to absorb the iron. It can sometimes take me 4 weeks before my levels sees an increase. The process isn't more than 30 min if your just getting the iron and then they keep you for another 30 min to observe you to make sure their isn't any reaction to the infusion.
Thank you for your feedback.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register