Hysterectomy tomorrow 4/28: How to Deal with Pets after Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy tomorrow 4/28: How to Deal with Pets after Surgery Hysterectomy tomorrow 4/28: How to Deal with Pets after Surgery

Unread 04-27-2016, 08:40 PM
Hysterectomy tomorrow 4/28: How to Deal with Pets after Surgery

In a way this is better suited for post-op, but I can't post there since my surgery is tomorrow.

One of the things I am most concerned about is dealing with my cats and dogs after surgery. They all are very attached to me and used to sleeping with me. As I type this, I have a dog sleeping on either foot and the cats on the couch with me.

My cats are both in the 15 pound range and the dogs are 70-90 pounds. Do any of you have suggestions of strategies to protect myself? My last surgery I actually stayed in a hotel for a week, so I have no real idea of how to stop them from trying to get on top of me to sleep or pushing on me to get attention.

Yes, they are spoiled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2016, 09:46 PM
Re: How to Deal with Pets after Surgery

I hope you don't have to take those big dogs walking - that could be dangerous too. keep a pillow handy but would be nice if they could board for a couple weeks (especially the dogs) or you can stay in a hotel.
Unread 04-27-2016, 11:26 PM

My husband will do the actual leading of them, but I plan on going walking with them. I think the generous time for family walks will be one of the nicest parts of recovery, since my husband is taking some time off of work too.

I will probably try to be flexible in my mind about what the best options are. Like if does seem like a hotel is a better idea, not dig in my heels and just go. Or...gasp...close doors and use the gate options available to me to keep them away from me.

I just hate the idea because I do love them so much and always want to be having the cuddles. They make me feel so much happier and are such a comfort that I know I will want them around me, but it may not be good for me. But maybe they will sense it and be good, calm ladies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2016, 11:43 PM

I have mini doxies and one big mutt- all rescues. They usually walk on me, over me, snuggle, basically they own me. I was worried that post op the big dog would jump on me, and the little ones would walk on my belly. It didn't happen. They knew something was wrong. There was a lot of sniffing and my ex husband was worried. However, after all was calm, they just gently snuggled. They wanted to be near, but they knew I was "injured." Only once did a doxie jump from the back of the sofa onto my belly (but she felt really guilty after) and no harm was done. I don't know that your dogs will be the same way, but mine were like different dogs. Just go very slow and make sure your DH has control of them and see how they react. Their noses will tell them you are hurt, it'll be up to their dispositions to see how they react to that info. During a spine surgery I boarded my big dog for a week because she was young and rambunctious, but even then after she was around me, she calmed down.
Unread 04-27-2016, 11:50 PM

I am nervous of this too!! I have 4 VERY spoiled Kittys who LOVE to sleep with me. They get into their kitty rips as I call them late at night and sometimes will run in my room and run right across me while I am laying in bed. It scares me to death to think of them doing this while I am new into recovery and still very tender and sore. I am going to try using the pillow and stacking it up on my belly so maybe that will keep them away. They are still very young so it is hard to tell them to stop. I wish you luck with your doggies and kittys. Mine are my babies as well and I want to be around them while recovering, I am just nervous.
Unread 04-28-2016, 06:22 AM
Re: Hysterectomy tomorrow 4/28: How to Deal with Pets after Surgery

I have 2 cats, 1 of which is always by/on me. I haven't had my surgery yet, but I'm going to follow this thread for ideas.

Good luck with your recovery!!!!
Unread 04-28-2016, 06:29 AM

I live alone with two cats. The older of the two sleeps with me, has done so since he was eight months old - and he was 12 years old at the time I had my surgery! My upstairs neighbour looked after the pair for the three days that I was in the hospital. The first night I was home, my older cat waited for me to get settled down in bed (on my side, with a pillow tucked against my belly) and then *sprawled* out on top of me, extending himself as far as he could go. He obviously didn't want me going anywhere else for awhile! It was quite comforting and I fell asleep right away. :-)

I *did* have to have a talk with both cats about NOT kneading Mumma's belly for the duration. However, they could curl up and purr in my lap without problems. Maybe the warmth and the "ultrasound treatment" even helped me heal?

I should mention that I had abdominal surgery and had a 7" vertical incision closed by 38 staples.

The one thing you need to beware of is that if your doctor tells you not to lift more than 10 lbs, that really does mean not more than 10 lbs. Do not pick up a 13 lb cat. I tried. My body screamed, "Put that down!"
Unread 04-28-2016, 06:40 AM
Hysterectomy tomorrow 4/28: How to Deal with Pets after Surgery

Good morning, mtavistar, I hope this finds you before you go into surgery; if not, then hopefully, you'll see it afterwards. I have 2 90# German shepherds, and a 15# cat who enjoys riding around on my shoulder and sitting in my lap, kneading my stomach. My brother mainly took care of feeding and exercising the dogs, but I could still spend time with them; we'd go out into the backyard, where I'd park myself in a lawn chair, while they'd splash around in our kiddie pool, occasionally bringing a ball for me to toss at them. Inside the house, I'd fend off their advances with a tennis ball, a stash of Milk Bones, and a pillow across my belly. I think they realized that I wasn't 100%, because they were mostly content to just lie at my feet. The cat couldn't understand why I wouldn't pick her up, but she seemed to understand that the pillow meant "paws off," because she was content to just curl up beside me on the couch. And having them around certainly did make my recovery easier. So give your friends a big hug, and best wishes for your surgery and recovery!
Unread 04-28-2016, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the wonderful replies everyone. I'm getting ready to leave for the hospital now and I'll check the thread again when I get home. I'll also be sure to update you on any suggestions I pick up!
Unread 04-28-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtavistar View Post
Thanks for the wonderful replies everyone. I'm getting ready to leave for the hospital now and I'll check the thread again when I get home. I'll also be sure to update you on any suggestions I pick up!
See you on the other side! :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register