uterine suspension instead of hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

uterine suspension instead of hysterectomy uterine suspension instead of hysterectomy

Unread 09-25-2003, 10:44 PM
uterine suspension instead of hysterectomy

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone out there had a uterine suspension instead of a hysterectomy, and if so, was it successful? I have read that the 5-year success rate for a suspension is only 50%, so I was wondering if any of you had to have a hysterectomy after a failed uterine suspension.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2003, 10:52 AM

Hi Aspen and welcome

I'm assuming that you have a uterine prolapse, is that right? And a suspension is an alternative to having a hyst.

I didn't have any prolapse issues, so I can't share any personal experiences. However, at the top of this forum we have links to some great resources on things like prolapse. Here's a link to the list of resources ... be sure to scroll down and check out the topics related to prolapse.

Options Resources Links

I'll also do some checking to see if there are other ladies here who have experience with uterine suspension so that they can relate their stories too.

Hang in there. We'll do our best to provide support, whatever you decide.

Beth
Unread 09-26-2003, 03:37 PM

Hi Beth,

Thanks for responding to my post--I was worried no one would! I wasn't sure which forum to post my question in, since it is a pre-op question for me, but it is also a question about post-op results and alternative surgery all rolled into one.

Yes, I do have prolapse, plus cystocele and rectocele. My doctors recommend TVH, but it seems that all over the TV and the web are doctors who insist that hysterectomy is unnecessary and undesireable. I just don't want to have a suspension surgery which will likely fail, and then have to have a hyst in the end anyway.

Thanks for any info you can get, and if you need to move my post that's OK with me.

Thanks again.
Unread 09-26-2003, 04:01 PM
Hi Aspen

I had a uterine suspension and presacral neurectomy for severe pelvic pain, which turned out to be severe diffuse adenomyosis. My uterus was found to be retroflexed and "congested" during and exploratory laparoscopy for severe chronic pelvic pain and the decision to perform the procedure was made at the time of surgery while I was under anesthesia. In fact, neither procedure helped much -- and then I tried Lupron, removal of focal adenomyosis (adenomyomectomy) and BCP's, biofeedback training, and antidepressant meds. 1.5 years after the suspension/PSN, I chose to have a SAH for my pain. Whew. Great relief of pain for me!!!

I guess after the suspension/PSN I did notice less pain with activity (I am a very active person), but just as much pain at the end of the day and with my menstrual cycles -- and it is impossible to say whether this was due to the suspension or PSN, though I kind-of think it was the suspension -- my uterus was the source of a great deal of pain for me 24/7, but when it was stabilized in my pelvis, I do think it was a little less painful during activity for awhile -- just not enough to avoid the "final surgical solution" -- the hysterectomy.

I did get to make a great joke in my dr's office about him "checking my suspension" when I lay back on the table, though and I miss the chance to do that. Hey, I wonder if the work they do with ligaments in a SAH counts?

Everyone's case is different, though, and the suspension may work for you, depending on what it is being performed for. I would get a second opinion if I were you (always advised) -- it is still major surgery. Mine was done through the scope, which meant shorter recovery time, but it was still 6 weeks recovery, easily. I did meet one other person that had had one, a nurse in my dr's office (her uterus was also retroverted) and she said she went on to have another child, which had been my hope.

Sorry my news is not better. Please respond if you have any more questions -- I will be watching for you.

With love and
Loretta
Unread 09-26-2003, 11:34 PM

Dear aspen,

Beth gave you a great link to find some other prolapse gals. The CUPS website has a message forum and lots of women who are treating their prolapse without choosing a hysterectomy.

Good luck on your research. Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 09-27-2003, 12:54 PM

Aspen,

I always wondered about a uterine suspension! Although I never had pain, fibroids, etc. like many of the other women here, I was merely burdened woth horrible prolapses. Seems like uterine suspension was never an option - the doctors all said "hysterectomy" like it was rote. To me it seemed like all the organs fit together like a puzzle, and once anything was removed, the others would "shift". Your statistics on uterine suspension are interesting. I wish I had looked into it further.

Wishing you good health,
Kajsa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register