My bladder hurts when I urinate! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My bladder hurts when I urinate! My bladder hurts when I urinate!

Unread 10-25-2008, 08:01 AM
My bladder hurts when I urinate!

Just a bit of added info... my gyn/onc told me Wed. that they actually have to "disect" the uterus off of the bladder... (uterus lies between bladder and rectal area) All of that coupled with moving things around seems to irritate tender area.. I had never had stress incontinence prior to surgery and now I "dribble" a bit when I cough or sneeze or laugh too hard... He also said it sits just a bit different and I think we retain a bit of urine sometimes. That being said... it does get better in about 8 wks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojykhanum
Oh my God.... I had started feeling sorry for myself thinking I am the only person with this particular complication. I had my uterus and both ovaries removed on October 8th. Its now 17 days since operation and the pain during urinating is getting worse.
Hang in there we are surgery twins...I am having the same issue too
Unread 02-04-2009, 11:56 AM

Hi Ladies - I'm wondering if anyone has an update to their situation, as I'm going on my 6 month mark and the bladder pain is getting worse (not better). I'm due for 6 month CT on 16th and have been putting off calling a doc until after that's done. I asked gyn/onc at checkup how long things could 'hurt' inside, he told me up to a year later (Yikes!), but I'm getting frustrated and wonder which doc I should see about it - don't know about following up with gyn/onc over this or uroligist of my gp? I'm so confused, don't know which doctor to turn to - I'm just curious what your outcomes were and which doc's you turned to. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2009, 02:05 PM

I had horrible pain when urinating for about a month after surgery, then it just went away. The doctor thought there was swelling from the cath and I had to take these pills that turns your pee bright orange!!!! I don't remeber what they were called though.
Unread 02-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Bladder pain

Just read this thread and have suggestion to all with unexplained bladder pain. Check out Interstitual Cystitis.

When I was in recovery and they took the cath out my bladder went into spasm. I have IC. The surgery gave my bladder a major flare up. Do a search for IC and try to adjust your diet as well as try the homeopathic/ herbal route. It helped me. In fact the nurses had no clue as how to handle me. My Dr. finally insisted on having my herbal remedies brought in to me. Once I refused all narcotics and took my herbal stuff I was able to be released. It took 4 weeks for my bladder to calm.

Hope this helps.
Unread 02-05-2009, 05:10 PM

Hi All,
I am 7 months out and am still aware of my bladder when I urinate, not as bad as it was unless I hold it to long. I have not sought medical attention for it, just for now going with the it takes up to a year to heal idea.

mr5488 I have also struggled with which Doc to call, if possible can you go to the Doc that did the surgery?
Unread 02-05-2009, 09:06 PM

If anybody who had their surgery longer ago than mine (I'm a little over 5 weeks postop right now) can answer this question, I would love to know the answer. I too have suffered from bladder pain ever since the cath was removed the day after my surgery. At first the doctor put me on antibiotics about a week postop because the pain got to be too bad, then 10 days postop I ended up in the ER because the pain was so bad. Turned out I had a vaginal hematoma causing my pain. I was told the pain and hematoma would go away within 2-3 weeks. The hematoma is now gone (according to doc's recent internal exam) but the pain is not. It hurts when I pee (feels like a giant fist inside me squeezing my bladder while I'm urinating and at the same time pressing down....LOTS of pressure) and the pain gets worst as I am about to finish emptying my bladder. Pain is almost unbearable in the mornings for first urine of the day.

Anybody else that has been through this and knows the answers, please help. I just read this thread and am hoping not to have to go through this for up to a year or longer.
Unread 02-06-2009, 02:20 PM

Here's an update to mine.

I had my follow-up on Nov 12th and mentioned the bladder pain to my GYN, he check and it was a bladder infection.

I had some other things going on right and ended up in the ER just about a month ago. I was dehydrated, and after they "filled the tank" with the IV, when the the doctor was discharging me, he gave me a prescription for antibiotics and told me I had a bladder infection... which was a bit of a shocker since I had no symptoms.

I've got a DR's appointment tomorrow, I'm putting money down that I have ANOTHER bladder infection. The only symptoms I can detect are that I'm going more often and when I go I go A LOT! (I've had my share of UTI's over the years, and it's not those symptoms).

I have a theory that I'm going to bring up to my doctor tomorrow. I don't know if it would be a good one for anyone else but I think for me it's something to look into.

**a little background -sorry if TMI**
I have always had to request a metal speculum when getting my pap, because the 2 or 3 times I had one done with a plastic one I got a bacterial infection each time!

My theory is that maybe it was the catheter, and I'm still working on something from that... that maybe this isn't my 3rd bladder infection since Sept. 8th but the 3rd flare up.

I hope y'all get to feeling better. I'll update tomorrow with what my doctor thinks about my theory.
Unread 02-06-2009, 09:21 PM

yikes. that's really scary. especially since my symptoms seem to be about the same as yours were. The pain is especially bad when I am emptying my bladder and first urine of the morning. I haven't had a bladder infection in almost 10 years, knock on wood. However, I originally thought about a week after my TAH that I had a bladder infection and they ran cultures and said no bladder infection but there was a hematoma. Now the hematoma is gone and still have pain where the bladder is, yet the culture turned out fine.

I'm confused.
Unread 02-07-2009, 09:24 AM

Hi all,
I had pain in my bladder from the moment I woke up after surgery. When they removed the catheter it was better, but when my bladder was full and when it was emptying - wow was it painful! I was tested for an infection - none, I was sent for an ultrasound and nothing. After posting here, I was directed to the IC websites and began eliminating some of the foods that are suggested to avoid. After a few more weeks it gradually calmed down. So, don't know whether it was bruising during surgery or IC but it rarely hurts now!! I strongly suggest following the IC diets as previously suggested. Hope you too can get relief!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register