Spinal Anesthesia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Spinal Anesthesia Spinal Anesthesia

Unread 04-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Spinal Anesthesia

Hi all:
I am sooo glad that I found this board! My name is Holly. I am 38 years old and due to have a TAH on 5-27-08 due to endo, cervical problems, anemia, you name it. This has been a long time coming. I have had several laps, ectopics, and a LEEP but this is my first major surgery. I got funky from anesthesia/morphine a couple of years ago so I have elected to have a spinal. I really don't mind being aware of anything, I just would like some pain relief post-op. I am allergic to Demerol, most anti-nausea drugs. I wondered if anyone has used Torodol. I am an anxious person, especially when I am thrown in the patient role. I am an Addiction Therapist but worked as a medic during my time in the military so I think that's why I get scared about surgery. My hubby is going to take a week off and we're just going to play it by ear. I plan on buying the Swelly Belly. I wonder if I can take my IPOD to the OR? I can't wait to meet everyone.

Holly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Spinal Anesthesia

Hi Holly

I just had my TVA yesterday 4/25/08 and I chose to do spinal anethesia and it worked great for me. I have had spinals before.
You need to let anesthesiologist know that you want to be given pain meds immediately before the epidural wears off. I was in alot of pain after it wore off and it took several hours to get the pain under control. I also had a foley cath in and it hurt more than anything. I also asked to nausea medication and my anethsiologist put a patch behind my ear that I could leave for 3 days, plus they gave me medication in my iv for that also.

I was given tordol 2 or 3 times, but they had giving me percocet and demerol so i have no idea which one made me feel sick.

I am glad its over and I at least have one day behind me. I had this crazy idea that after everything was removed that I shouldnt have anymore pain. LOL. well it doesnt work that way.

My doctor said my surgery went really well and I had several firbroids, some large.

You are young and you will do just fine. I am 49 and things like this probably arent as easy as it is in young ladies. Just remember dont be afraid to ask for plenty of pain meds, and nausea medication.

Nena
Unread 04-27-2008, 05:48 AM
Spinal Anesthesia

I have a question. Spinal Anesthesia, does that mean that you were awake through the entire surgery? I am petrified to be put to sleep as I had a very bad experience when I was young. I think that is my biggest fear. I did have a C-sectio for my first child and I was completely awake but fell asleep immediately after as I was exhausted.

But.... I have had people tell me that "trust me you don't want to be awake". I have a large fibroid tumor and several other small ones and I am schedule for a H on May 19th.

Meme77
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2008, 06:45 AM
Spinal Anesthesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly69
so I have elected to have a spinal. I really don't mind being aware of anything

Holly -I'm having my TAH done under general, bc the doc said that the spinal is more time-sensitive..she's willing to do the spinal, but would prefere the general, so that's what I'm going with.
But whenI had surgery on my feet a couple years ago, I went with just the nerve block (surgeries were only about 30-40 minutes each)..and was aware of what was going on...the surgeon and I talked, during the procedures. I don't know if the hyst will be 'oogier' bc it's not as far away as feet, and it's tissue rather than bone..but I don't think there's anything wrong with being awake during a procedure. They still give you something to relax you, and the drape is in front of you so you aren't watching (at least that's how it was for me). If that's what you want, and your doc is happy, go for it!
as for the pod...I didn't ask for mine, but before the doc started, he asked if I had any preference...I think it's typical, or at least not unusual, for music to be plaed in the OR. (btw, my response to him was, I'd like to have whatever music will make YOU happy!)

Good luck
Unread 04-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Spinal Anesthesia

I too had spinal however they also gave meds to where I don't remember anything and they said I was talking to them! Don't remember what I said hope it wasn't anything I regret . After I was given morphine for pain which really made me sick and extended my stay in the hospital.
When the spinal wears off the pain kicks in, keep that in mind. My TAV/BSO surgery lasted 1hr 45 mins.
I always have chosen the spinal.
I'll be thinking of you guys! Keep posting!
Unread 04-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Spinal Anesthesia

Thanks for the tips girls! I had an epidural when I had my C-section many years ago. I wonder if that is an option. It is suppose to wear off quicker than the spinal block. I haven't had my pre-op visit yet. I will have that visit on May 6th. I guess I will have to ask about my option.

I appreciate all the tips and I am grateful that a friend introduced me to this site. I'm 48 yrs. old and still pretty scared about this.

Meme77
Unread 04-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Spinal Anesthesia

I had a c-section and had an epidural, and was awake, but only felt some tugging not bad at all

2 weeks ago I had a TVH and transvaginal sling, total of 2 hours in surgery, had a spinal and an epidural, spinal because the dr said the epidural can sometimes be patchy, but wanted the epidural for pain meds afterwards. I would do it that way again in a second. The epidural did end up being patchy, so I had some pain until they rolled be on the side that wasn't getting the epidural, also had toradol in my IV, no nausea, would highly recommend what I did. was given Norco to go home with and hated it, only took it for 1 day, then tylenol and ibprofen. Good luck
Unread 04-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Spinal Anesthesia

DId you have the toradol in your IV for the nausea? I think I am going to consider the Spinal too. It's not that I want to see anything - I just have a problem with going to sleep.

Thanks for the tips!

Meme77
Unread 04-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Spinal Anesthesia

I don't know if it was for nausea, they never said it was, just for pain I think,I didn't see anything, just a little pushing when they put the packing in at the end. they gave me a little relaxing med during surgery too so I was in and out. I didn't want to go to sleep either. I know its not easy, but try not to dwell to much on what part is upsetting , I knew if something was making me nervous, I got busy doing something else, sometimes the more I read, the more I got tense, sometimes too much of a good thing.
Unread 04-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Spinal Anesthesia

Thanks ladies for all the stories! I really apreciate it. It's helping ease my mind. Torodol is a pain med.non-narcotic. Maybe it will be strong enough afterwards. Who knows?

Holly
TAH scheduled 5-27-08

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register