Help!!! Strep throat invasion 1 week prior to hyster!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help!!!  Strep throat invasion 1 week prior to hyster!!! Help!!! Strep throat invasion 1 week prior to hyster!!!

Unread 10-13-2003, 12:33 AM
Help!!! Strep throat invasion 1 week prior to hyster!!!

Oh man!! I am so frightened! My princess date is the 20th... only a week away, and now everyone in my apartment building has come down with strep throat. My daughter and hubby included!! I havent gotten it yet, but I am assuming that it is only a matter of time before I do. I plan to go see my primary care tomorrow to see if he will prescribe an antibiotic to help keep me from getting it. My Gyn told me that if I have so much as a cough or sniffle that they cant do the hyster. I cannot re-schedule... my mom risked losing her job in order to get the time off to come out here to be with me, tickets are bought and are non-refundable, and since she bought them online she cant change the dates either! Plus one of my two best friends is coming the day after my parents leave to help me for another 2 weeks.. and SHE has already arranged alternate care for her foster child, and bought her tickets as well. Same deal as my mothers. What am I going to do?? Surely if I get on antibiotics now I will be able to keep from getting it. Right? You would think that I would know that kinda thing since I am a nurse, but my brain isnt really working right now I am too scared. Any ideas? Right now I would almost drink spiders blood, strip naked and dance while howling at the moon like a coyote if I thought it would keep me from having to reschedule!! LMK if you can think of anything!! **HUGS**

~Regina

btw... whatever would I have done had I not been told where to find you guys!! **HUGS** (ladies I mean. *wink*)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2003, 01:14 AM

Hi Regina. The same thing happened to me! My then 12 yo niece came out to visit me a couple of weeks before my hyst, and after she went back home, my brother called to let me know she'd just been diagnosed with strep throat. I was SURE I was going to get it and my surgery would be cancelled.

I called my DR right away, and she called in a script for antibiotics, which I stayed on until after the surgery. The hyst went off without a hitch

Hopefully your DR can do the same thing for you.... one thing to keep in mind is that early post op, we are exceptionally vulnerable to those pesky yeast infections, and having taken antibiotics will increase your risk... so eat plenty of yogurt or take your probiotics daily, restrict your sugar intake, and you may want to ask your DR about giving you a script for diflucan (oral antifungal) to have on hand just in case you need it.

I hope this helps!
s,
-Linda
Unread 10-13-2003, 07:36 AM

((( Regina )))

I can understand your worry. I'll be praying that your dr can get you the meds and that your surgery will go on as planned.

Best wishes, please keep us informed on how everything is goihg for you.

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2003, 09:35 AM

Hi

I'm so sorry for your worry!! I too had this happen, back in April, and unfortunately, even with antibioitics, the flipping anaesthatist said no.
I was devastated!! After a wait of seven months the agony was unbearable.
On the bright side, it would have been a nightmare to go through a TAH and be sick at the same time.

But i hope that you manage to ward it off.

good luck
Blade
Unread 10-13-2003, 10:49 AM

I'm so sorry to hear this, you must be going crazy! Get your doc to give you that prescription and drink TONS of water, take a multivitamin, get lots of extra rest and I bet all will go just fine! I'll be thinking of you jon'a
Unread 10-13-2003, 07:25 PM
Thank you all!! **HUGS**

Thank you all so much for the support and advice!! I saw my primary care today and he was quick to prescribe me both the antibiotic AND the diflucan. So here's hoping that I wont have to delay the surgery. That is what I am counting on anyway. My PCP was calling the Gyn to let him know that it wasnt bad.. that my vitals were good, the strep test was negative, so he is thinking that the Gyn wont cancel the surgical date. Thank you all soooo much!! **HUGS** I am feeling alot more comfortable about things now!! **HUGS**

~Regina

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register