Fearing Blood Clots | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fearing Blood Clots Fearing Blood Clots

Unread 03-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Fearing Blood Clots

So completely absolutely panic driven having nightmares of getting a blood clot from my surgery. I am having a Davinci on the 26th and I am making myself sick thinking about the possibility of a clot which from what ive read can happen weeks after the surgery. Any stats or info that might help relieve fears will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Re: Fearing Blood Clots

I don't have the stats but as a nurse I know the best thing that you can do is move frequently. The more you get up and walk around the less likely to have the blood stagnate and clot.

Deep breathe and look to the positives after the surgery. You manifest what you think of.
Unread 03-11-2013, 07:20 PM

Whoa, Texas78. Take a deep breath. Here is my experience. Just before surg, I had a shot of heparin, a blood thinner, in my stomach. The shot was shallow and only stung for a second. I had two more heparin shots in the thigh after surg. I did not feel them at all. Also, the nurses put ankle-to-knee leg wraps on me before surg. They inflated one at a time to circulate the same blood flow as walking while lying down. I wore them until I was discharged. At home, I walk around when I can, but I don't push it. When I'm tired or hurting, I lie down. I only went upstairs unassisted two days ago and very careful in the shower. The mind is a powerful thing, so imagine yourself getting well after a successful procedure. Hugs to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2013, 07:24 PM

Thanks so much to you guys, you are right the mind is a powerful thing and mine tends to obsess on bad things happening! ActIII is it typical to have shots of blood thinners before hand ?
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:17 PM

I'm in Ontario, but I believe it is given before the op and every 12 hours after during hosp stay as a precaution to prevent blood clots. Ask your dr.
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:13 PM

As someone who is prone to blood clots, I know I am a bit concerned as well. I am already on blood thinners and will be for the rest of my life, but I will "bridge" off of them for the surgery and then be ramped back up to where my blood needs to be afterward. I would say it can never hurt to ask your doctor or when you for your pre-admission testing. See what the plan is for you. If you're still concerned, ask them what can be done for you personally to help prevent blood clots. It may be as simple as taking an aspirin a day until you are fully mobile again; it may be just making sure you get up and walk regularly. Chances are that you won't have a problem - but at least you are aware of the possibility and you can be pro-active on this front. Good luck!
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:43 PM

The most important thing is, as soon as your able, get up out of the bed and walk. Even if its only for a minute or two at a time make sure you are up and moving. When I had my surgery I had compression stockings put on before surgery and when I woke up I had the "pumpy things" which are called sequential compression devices on my legs. They inflate and deflate and keep the blood moving in your lower legs. I had heparin after the op, they jabbed it in my tummy but it just feels like a little scratch. I had some real good bruises from those jabs though.
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:27 PM

You will not want shots in your tummy post-op! Ask for them in the thigh.
Unread 03-12-2013, 09:13 AM

Clots/DVT was the only risk that really worried me in this whole thing, so I totally understand your fear but even though surgery does increase the risk, it's still pretty minimal and there's a LOT we can do ourselves to keep the risk factor low.... move! That's the most important thing- walk around for a few minutes every hour, wiggle your feet and bend your knees in bed, raise and lower your arms, shrug your shoulders, roll your head (like you're trying to ease a pinchy spot in your neck).
If you take a car trip, stop and walk around every hour or so.
Sitting still is one of the biggest factors and the most preventable.

Stay hydrated- when we get dehydrated, our blood thickens which in turn, ups the clotting risk.
Drink something every hour, even if you don't feel thirsty.
If you DO feel thirsty, drink at least 6 ounces of water/juice/tea, not just a few sips to ease the feeling of thirst.
When you take meds, drink the whole glass of water, not just the two swallows you need to get the pills down.

I'm now 3 months post-op and never had a whisper of a problem in that area.
Unread 03-12-2013, 06:06 PM

My surgeon said I will have pneumatic boots on during surgery and will also be receiving heparin (blood thinner). I suggest letting your doctor know your concerns and ask if you are a candidate for the boots and blood thinners.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register