Castle date approaching scared..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Castle date approaching scared..... Castle date approaching scared.....

Unread 09-13-2004, 04:11 PM
Castle date approaching scared.....

Hi, I've got two weeks and counting until my abdominal hysterectomy. I've been sick for so long that I can hardly believe that I only have two more weeks to go. I was hoping someone out there can give me some suggestions on how they manged the time before going in, and if they have any suggestions are what to take to the hospital. I'm so nervous, can't sleep. thanks. you friend, D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2004, 04:18 PM

Hi there... Only two weeks left, that is great!!! Waiting truly is the hardest part... Suggestions to pass the time.. Stay busy!!! Pre cook meals, clean the house, put things at arms reach for your return home, make it easier for you to have what you need... Before my surgery, I lived on herbal tea... It helped me relax and soothed me alot... The tension tamer tea's and the chamomile tea's are good, so is the sleepy time tea's with valerin. If you feel up to it, have coffee/tea dates with your girlfriends, and family members...I also planned and had a multi family yard sale the weekend before my surgery... It was so time consuming, that time just flew by.... I hope these suggestions help... Good luck dear and you are in my thoughts and prayers... Sending lots of hugs your way... Diana
Unread 09-13-2004, 04:28 PM

Welcome!

Your surgery is the day before mine, so I understand the feelings of anxiety that you are experiencing. Keeping really busy seems to be the best thing for me. I have been getting the house cleaned, food put in the freezer, answering letters, and spending a lot of time on this site. The sisters here are the best! So many of my questions and concerns have been answered by these caring ladies, and no question is too small to ask. If you browse the site you will find many suggestions as to what to take to the hospital. Some hospitals furnish more than others, so it might pay to check with your hospital to find out what they furnish. I've heard wonderful suggestions such as your own pads (the hospitals seem to furnish the type from the dark ages with belts!), a back scratcher (for the itchy moments created by the morphine drip), socks, a few pair of panties 2 sizes larger than you normally wear, slip on house slippers, a lightweight robe, a magazine or two, ear plugs, etc. There are excellent lists available on this site, so take time to search for them. Maybe one of the sisters who have already been to the hospital can let you know which list or items they recommend.

Try to think relaxing thoughts before you go to bed and don't focus on your surgery. You need to be well rested. If you can't sleep, please contact your doctor. They may be able to help. Focus on how much better you are going to feel!!

Also, know that we all care for you and wish you only the very best. I'll be thinking of you each and every day. If you need to talk, let me know. We'll help each other through this, and we will be fine!

Sending you hugs and prayers,
Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2004, 04:31 PM

D,

I know how you feel...for sure....as do most of us ladies in waiting...everything Diana says sounds real good. I should have tried all those things, but I went to my PCP and he asked me flat out how I was handling the surgery emotionally...and I flat out told him "I'm scared, nervous, ect"....He prescribed me two mild seditives that I can take right up till the day before surgery....I believe in the power of prayer and I've prayed a lot for peace of mind. I thank God that the doctor asked me the question, cuz I never would have told him...but anyways, the seditives have been a God send to help me to sleep at night. I hope I don't sound like a pill pusher... Just sharing how I handled it.

luv, hugs and prayers,

Mich
Unread 09-13-2004, 05:13 PM

D,

Here's a link to what to take to the hospital:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...hp?s=&id=96849

I hope that works! I'm still kind of new here, too!

If you just type in the "search" block "Items to take to hospital" you should find lots of great links.

Hope this help with your what to take question.

Also, prayer really does help calm your nerves and fears.

Hugs!
Linda
Unread 09-13-2004, 05:42 PM

My surgery is 9-24......I found out on 9-7. So I too have been waiting.
I pray alot! I ask friends to pray for me. I keep busy....I am trying to get my home in order, I am walking alot to help myself after the surgery, etc.

Good luck....
Unread 09-13-2004, 05:47 PM

I can relate to your feelings of nervousness before your surgery. My biggest fear was that I would be in incredible pain after the surgery and that the hospital staff would be unable to control it. I had my surgery in April and let me tell you- I was absolutely amazed at how little pain I felt. Discomfort- yes, after all it is major surgery. The staff was wonderful about administering pain meds as soon as I asked so that it never got out of control. (Just don't try to be a hero- you'll only be hurting yourself. If you feel pain ask for medication!)The topper was- had surgery on Friday and went home on Sunday. Took pain med before I left hospital and got home on Easter Sunday only to find not a pharmacy in town was open- and I had NO pain meds. I got by on Motrin 800 mg until the next day when they could fill it, overall about 24 hrs from time I left the hospital. I was lucky to have my mom stay with me to help get the kids off to school so that I could rest as needed which I was extremely grateful for. I was more tired than uncomfortable. Good luck with your surgery and hope your fears are calmed before the big day. RaineyL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register