Prolapse, pain, and bleeding | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Prolapse, pain, and bleeding Prolapse, pain, and bleeding

Unread 10-19-2002, 07:47 AM
Prolapse, pain, and bleeding

Haven't been visiting with you all in a while----Since my surgery was rescheduled (from Sept. to Nov.), it seems like my syptoms are getting much worse, & new ones are cropping up. My initial reason for scheduling surgery was Grade 3 prolapse, cystocele & rectocele---the rectocele was causing me the most problems, having to plan my life around my bowels---not fun. Since then, I also have been diagnosed with high grade cervical dysplasia confirmed with colpo and biopsies. I am now having periods every 2-3 weeks with heavy bleeding and cramping. Has anyone else had this experience with prolapse in the absence of fibroids?(At least, I don't THINK I have fibroids---but it seems like every other test I have comes up positive, so maybe I have those too!) At any rate, I have gained an apprectiation for what my sisters with fibroids are going through. I have found something postive in all of this----initially I was very ambivalent about the decision to have the TVH when I though it was just for prolapse. The more time that goes by ( and the more stuff they find wrong with me), the more confident I am about the decision. At this point, there's really is no decision. It has to be done.

Adding to all of this, I got a call that I need to have a follow up on my mammogram because there's "something" they need to get a better look at. Just what I needed to hear at this point.

I see a lot of discussion about weight gain here, and it terrifies me. I have had issues with my weight my entire life, and have struggled recently to stay at a barely acceptable weight. Because of my problems with prolapse, vigorous exercise is very uncomfortable. I used to be a runner, but since my daughter was born, I've tried running a few times, and I'm miserable for a week afterward. I am using this pre-op time to try & take off a few pounds (so hard without being able to exercise!) I have visions of myself lying in bed for weeks post-op and blowing up like a balloon. Any tips on how to avoid weight gain post-op????

Sorry this post is so long----
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2002, 08:36 AM

Hi ColoradoRN

After reading your post, I was touched by all the misery you are going through. I can't answer your question on the experiences of prolapse, but I do have fibroids and you already know what that must be like.

I do want to respond to the weight gain issue. Many different sources all agree that weight gain is when you take in more than you work off and I feel that, during your recovery time, your precious mind should be at rest until you've fully recovered, then when you've fully recovered, you are -able- to do something about any weight gain, (if any). You see, there's not much you can do during recovery about weight, other than, watching what you eat and how much you eat. But since you have experience in running, (which is what I love dearly), then you'll just return to your running and won't have the discomforts from before. Just do mild walking at recovery, plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids.

Hope this helps!!
Evette
Unread 10-19-2002, 08:50 AM

Hi, as Evette said (very well) your first concern is to take care of yourself & recover properly. You may find that weight gain isn't an issue. Some have gained weight & sometimes it's temporary (retaining fluids or such). I actually lost weight because I couldn't eat very much before I was uncomfortably full. Just keep your mind on how much better your life will be after your surgery . Hang in there - you'll do fine ! s

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2002, 09:48 AM

I agree with these other ladies! I didn't have much of an appetite the first week after. Just make sure what goes in is healthy! Drink plenty of water & concentrate on healing. You most likely will feel better when you run after you have the surgery, so that is a real PLUS!

We're all there with you!

Mongie
Unread 10-19-2002, 10:33 AM

Hi coloradoRN You don't need to feel bad about having the surgery even if it's "just" for the prolapse. I had a 3rd degree prolapse, cystocele and rectocele as well and I know how miserable that can feel... and it can get worse. My DR told me I risked having my uterus completely invert outside of my body (the cervix was already protruding) and if that happened I'd have to have the hyst on an emergency basis, so we decided to go for it.

I have to say, as far as the prolapse etc. goes things are a thousand percent better. Once I got over the initial "speed bumps" (catheter at home was one of them because I also had a bladder repair and my bladder apparently didn't enjoy that) and onto the road to recovery, things have just gotten better and better. I can walk as much as I want. I don't "leak" when I sneeze, cough or laugh anymore. I can control my bladder. I don't have to "splint" to have a bm. All this is worth having the surgery for. We are too young to have to have these problems for the rest of our lives.

I didn't have the frequent long periods that you describe but that could be because I was perimenopausal when the prolapse developed (I'm a little older than you are, 46). Perhaps someone else may come along who can comment on that.

I want to wish you best of luck with your surgery, and I'll be looking for you over in Post Op!
s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register