Did you get a second opinion? - Page 9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
View Poll Results: Did you get a second opinion from another surgeon before scheduling your hysterectomy
Yes, I got a second opinion and it helped give me additional options 1,187 20.11%
Yes, I got a second opinion but it didn't really matter in the long run 1,348 22.84%
No, I didn't get a second opinion 3,087 52.30%
I didn't have time to get a second opinion. My hysterectomy was an emergency 280 4.74%
Voters: 5902. You may not vote on this poll

Did you get a second opinion? Did you get a second opinion?

Unread 01-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Did you get a second opinion?

Yes, I had been referred by my long term GYN for a procedure but when he did an ultrasound he saw all the fibroids and a large cyst on one of my ovaries. When he started discussing a laprascopic hysterectomy, but was a little wishy washy. My ex-mother-in-law had had the robotic hyst a few months earlier so I asked to be referred to the doc (in the same office) that does the robotic. He is an oncologist and has trained many other docs in the daVinci procedure. He was much more confident gave me three options and the pros and cons of all three and I chose to go ahead with the robotic. I was VERY happy that I got a second opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2009, 04:57 PM

I got a second opinion because my original ob/gyn was only experienced with TAH. I wasn't comfortable with the long recuperation required after a TAH, so a friend recommended her ob/gyn who performed a LAVH. I was only out of work for 10 days and I only took pain medication for a couple of days after surgery (I had no pain at all after a couple of days).

I'm 49 and my ovaries weren't removed (the hysterectomy was for fibroids), so I haven't any any issues with hormones.

I'm extremely happy with the positive changes in my quality of life after hysterectomy.
Unread 01-05-2009, 05:26 PM

No I didnt. I had done alot of research and was so tired of the bleeding and cramping and just feeling awful for most of the month..I had ended up in bed for most of my period..
I knew something was wrong with my right side ..
It hurt most of the time..even felt like a knife going thru it.. the ovary had a big tumor that was growing and we waited a few weeks did a second ultra sound it was still growing.
Dr said the ovary had to come out ,it had the characteristics of becoming cancer...So from everything else going on decided to get everything out!..Im so glad I did! The tumor was a large grapefruit size, with a smaller one underneath it..wasnt cancer yet! I had alot of fibroids and adenomyosis
so im sooo glad I had it all gone! Its been almost 2 years nowI feel so much better now! Im on HRT and it works fine for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2009, 06:43 PM

Yes, I did get a second opinion and more. I discussed my options with my GP, my gynae, and two members of my family who are medical doctors. In the end, they all agreed after looking at the endometrial biopsy report that a TAH (including the cervix) was the best procedure, particularly as I was post-menopausal. The surgery was done on a Friday morning and I was released from hospital the following Monday morning with a prescription for pain medication that I didn't have to use. Radiation followed surgery and I am still on follow-ups every three months with a pap smear every 6 months and a follow-up CT scan that was done last week. For me there was never any hesitation about a TAH because although the cancer was confined to the uterine wall, I have a family history of ovarian cancer.

I feel just great now and looking forward to spring, enough snow already.
Unread 01-05-2009, 08:32 PM

I got a 2nd opinion from my family doctor - he had some insight about the uterus and cervix decisions. . . but there really was no question on the whole thing - just the specifics. I am 42 and had 6 previous surgeries involving cysts and tumors on the ovaries. Was down to about 1/4 of left ovary intact, right one ruptured with a tumor at 17. When the CA125 came back high (and given my family history ) ... it was an easy decision. The surgery was much more involved than I expected, with an extra couple hundred stitches needed after cleaning up everything that my uterus and tube were attached to ...
I just wish I knew more about the hormone jungle too..... its been almost 5 months and I'm still working on trying to feel normal! I feel like I'm still riding an emotional roller-coaster. But - I admit - I don't miss my periods AT ALL, and won't have to worry anymore about cervical, uterine, or ovarian cancer --- all of which have hit my family.
Unread 01-05-2009, 08:43 PM

My comments would sound almost exactly like NervousClara. My regular GYN identified the problem through PAP smears then sent me for further biopsies with a GYN/ONC. I felt like he was my second opinion. I had an endometrial biopsy and a cervical conization, with results verified at two labs.

I feel great and I feel lucky to know I have less than 1% chance of cancer due to the my hyst.
Unread 01-05-2009, 09:51 PM

I'm 59 and had been having spotting for about two months and decided to go to my gynecologist. After some testing, it was determined that I had uterine polyps. The pathology reports indicated "complex hyperplasia with atypia" and my gynecologist recommended an immediate second opinion with a gynecoloigst-oncologist. I did my research on the web and determined that the odds were about 60-40 that I had cancer. About four weeks later I had a complete hysterectomy and feel very comfortable with that decision. Both docs were great.
Unread 01-06-2009, 12:53 AM

Closest thing to a second opinoin.

My Doctor actually assists my Surgeon/Gynocologist when he performs hysterectomies. What a duo to have. I had great faith in them both. They told me like it was and they were certainly correct. I had been bleeding very heavily for many many months and after trying a D and C this was my only option. It is now 3 months since my Hysterectomy and I am feeling fantastic. I had a Vaginal Hysterectomy TVH with my ovaries left.
Unread 01-06-2009, 02:36 AM

Yes I got 3 opinions and they all agreed that the operation was necessary. wish I was walking as well as this guy!
Unread 01-06-2009, 03:03 AM

Mine was an emergency, having a rapid growing (benign- yeah!) mass on the left ovary that had squished the left ureter and caused total blockage of the left kidney and hydronephrosis. The surgery was more to save the kidney, and couldnt wait. The surgeon (gyn/onc)was wonderful, kind, gentle, smart, witty and good bedside manner. Took a lot of time with me too. (Recommend to ANYONE in NE Florida if you need!) Both ovaries removed due to statistical recurring cysts. Im GLAD and have felt better than EVER! Kept the kidney, and never looked back.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register