Need opinons on removing ovaries?????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need opinons on removing ovaries?????? Need opinons on removing ovaries??????

Unread 04-27-2010, 01:27 AM
Need opinons on removing ovaries??????

#5 04-25-2010, 07:59 PM
crystle
Hyster Sister Hysterectomy: May 6th, 2010

Scheduled May 6th, Im trying to decide to remove ovaries or not?????

Thank you for your replies.... I am scheduled for Laparoscopic Hysterectomy. I have a fibroid causing pain. I have had ovarian cysts in the past, however they didnt find any currently during my ultrasound. I also have hypothyroid and diabetes. I am also having missed periods and hot flashes. (could I be in early menopause?)
My concern is my family history of cancer. My entire family on my mom's side has had cancer. My gma has survived breast cancer (after her hysterectomy). Both uncles, one died of leukimia, the other survived prostate cancer. My gfthr had prostate cancer. My mother is in remission with stage 4 colon cancer. My sister is 46 and has had an ovarian cyst burst, but no other health problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2010, 05:13 AM
Re: Need opinons on removing ovaries??????

Hello Crystle.....When I had my hyst my doctor and I talked about my ovaries in great detail......I was 45 at the time of my surgery. Your ovaries will still produce hormones well until your 70's. They help out with bone and heart health. My family history is full of heart problems...so my doctor suggested I keep mine for that reason. We came to the agreement that when she was in there and if the ovaries were healthy I would keep them....and that was the best choice for my body....you have to research this.....go over all of the pros and cons for your body....sit your doctor down and talk about it. What is good for one might not be good for another. Educate yourself as much as possible....once something is removed...we can't get it back. Good luck to yea!!!!
Unread 04-27-2010, 05:44 AM

Hello Crystle: Before my surgery my dr wanted to take my ovaries..i talked to my sister(she's a nurse)and she told me not to take ovaries unkless neccessary because they have the hormones that your body needs so i decided to keep mine ..I agree with lady63 do some research and then u can decide what is right for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2010, 06:21 AM

Hi Crystle, everyone's situation is different. You need to discuss your options with your dr, particularly your concerns with the cancer that is in you family.

I do not have any history of cancer in my family and since I have had numerous ovarian cysts with endometriosis trouble for years I decided that it was time for me to have them removed and go on the estrogen patch (Vivelle) for a while. I did a lot of reading on the pros and cons and also asked my dr what his experience is with patients on HRT. I was comfortable with my decision and grateful to have made it. I am doing fine on the .75 patch. It was hard to decide.

Good Luck,

Sue
LAVH/BSO
Unread 04-27-2010, 10:50 AM

I have cancer that runs in my family and have suffered from ovarian cysts as well...

I was told it is harder for the cysts to return but they can after a hysterectomy...

I kept my ovaries! My reasoning: I wanted to rely on my own hormones as much as my ovaries will allow... if I need surgery later, albeit because I am more afraid of synthetic hormones - they cause cancer as well... and if you smoke while taking synthetic hormones - the greater the risk factor is for cancer

Talk lots with your and also research, research, research! I did what was best for me... You do what is best for you! Let us know what you decide, okay? Good Luck!!

~*Hugs*~
Unread 04-27-2010, 11:02 AM

I am having mine removed - I have a history of cysts and my right ovary is twice the normal size. There is a family history of cancer on both sides. This decesion was right for me, but not for everyone. Do research, talk with people - ultimately it is your body and your choice. You can always have them removed later (I know no one wants two operations). Good luck. Remember to be able to be at peace with your decision you need to make a choice from a calm state of mind, not a fearful "what-if" state of mind.
Unread 04-27-2010, 11:10 AM

I had mine removed when having a LAVH and cystocele repair/sling in March. I had already been thru the change (10+ years ago) and I just felt that having ovaries hang around and risk havng them go bad vs. what ever small amount of hormones they could possibly be producing was not worth the risk. There is no "test" for ovarian and really was anxious to get results of pathology. I was relieved to have ovarian/uterine/cervical off my worry list. Now- to get that colonoscopy I've been putting off....
Unread 04-27-2010, 11:15 AM

I too debated the issue for weeks. In the end I decided to keep mine if they looked OK. My doctor wanted to take ovaries, uterus and cervix. During surgery the cervix was only partially removed since it has bonded (scar tissue & adhesions) with my bladder so strongly and the bladder is in a good position. After the initially surgery I started bleeding so I went back in the next day and they took one ovary that had started bleeding and left the other. The main source of the bleeding was not the ovary. So far the hot flashes are about the same as before. I researched the risks of ovarian cancer and I had no big risk factors. My aunt had breast cancer after post menopause HRT so I am more interested in letting my remaining ovary provide horemones.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register