TAH surgery wasn't bad at all | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH surgery wasn't bad at all TAH surgery wasn't bad at all

Unread 09-20-2002, 08:00 AM
TAH surgery wasn't bad at all

My dear LIW sisters

I am at 3 weeks post op. HONEST-- it wasn't that bad. I have a 6 inch vertical cut, and I learned how to move with the least amount of pain. Waking up after surgery was like having bad cramps, but the nurse immediately started working my morphine pump and in no time it felt better.

Sure it is a learning curve. All movement is first done by getting on your side and using your arm muscles to lift your body. Sitting on the toilet is done by spreading your legs. Getting up is done with more arm power than we usually use ( unless you are my age and use anything you can).

Everything that happened was managable. I think of all the fears and anxiety I had and smile. It wasn't that bad. No, I wouldn't have asked to go through it, but I want to tell you all I didn't need to feel so scared. Oh well-- this whole process is a teacher for us. I learned a lot about myself, patience, and how to ask for help.

In the hospital, I especially enjoyed having my own pillow and a fleece soft blanket from home. When I got to feeling sorry for myself, I wrapped up in the blanket and tried to say supportive affirmations to myself. It worked, I was comforted and felt better.

Waiting for your surgery makes everything seem so much worse than it really is. I will keep all of you LIW in my prayers.

arlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2002, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the tips and good wishes. I'm so glad you are recovering well- hope it continues!

Gill
Unread 09-20-2002, 09:39 AM

Congratulations on your manageable recovery. And thank you soooooooo much for sharing your encouraging experience. I really like the idea of taking my own "blankie" to the hospital.

Best wishes for a continued better day each day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2002, 09:53 AM

Arly,

you had a 6 inch VERTICAL cut? I am scheduled for a TAH/BSO 9/27 & was told I would have a "smiley face" incision! Why the difference do you suppose?

Also, what about this "swelly belly" thing? Am nervous that even when I can go out again I won't have anything to wear. And my tummy's not all that flat anyway!

Did you get larger than your normal size of undies as suggested in the pre-op hints? If so, how do you know how much bigger to go?????

Hate to sound like an idiotic nervous nelly, but am getting worse as the time draws near!

Glad to hear your recovery is going so well, though. Good for you & promising for me!

Continued good health...
Unread 09-20-2002, 10:15 AM

Mongie

The decision of vertical vs lateral is made by your doctor.
That is if you are not having a vaginal or lap done.
My doctor said he didn't know if there would be any cancer cells and he felt it would be easier for him to do a vertical to get the organs out without disturbing any cells. There really is very little difference.

As far as the "swelly belly" -- yes make sure you have underware that is bigger. You will feel better. I had some very old stretched out ones. I also had a pair of shorts that were two sizes too big for me. They worked well. My stomach has gone down-- just a little bit of swelling still there. I won't be putting jeans on for awhile. In time-- things return to normal. I had a belly before the surgery too. Any body part that has had trauma will swell. My belly got hit hard during surgery and has a right to "yell out". Just make sure that your clothes have some stretch to them.

Before surgery I was glued to this site. It really helped me. Just knowing others were like me and had similar questions and concerns helped to calm my nerves. Keep posting and talking !!!

I wish you all the best

arlene
Unread 09-20-2002, 10:20 AM

Thanks for your post. I am 6 days from tah/bso and I was very encouraged by your post. I hope all is going well. This liw stuff is driving me crazy!!!! I never leave home w/o my special blanket. I was glad to hear you took yours. My is old and torn but I love it!!

Thanks, melissa
Unread 09-20-2002, 10:24 AM
(((((((((((Arlene))))))))))))

Arlene,

What a wonderful post you added... nice for the LIW to hear that it will all be okay... I agree with you, my TAH/BSO wasn't 1/2 as bad as my imagination (pre-op) had led me to believe... I am 8 days post op right now and doing well myself.

LIW, Arlene is right! You will soon be on the other side of all this and we can all recover together.

(((((((((((((((((hyster sisters)))))))))))))))))))))

Thanks again, Arlene

Take good care, Gracie
Unread 09-20-2002, 11:19 AM
waiting

I would also like to say a big DITTO to everything that Arly so nicely said. I am 11 days post-op and right now I feel soooo much better. Everything was managable, pain, movement, gas, bm, peeing, etc. I also took a nice soft chenille pillow to the castle and found it very comforting. The "granny panties" I got were 2 sizes bigger that my usual....hanes her way cotton briefs, package of 6 for $7.49 at Walmart. Iam still wearing them...they are comfortable on my incision.I have a little bit of a swelly belly...mostly a little lumpy......but my belly is smaller than pre-op because that big ol' fibroid is gone. Yea. When I was so nervous to the point of tears 2 days pre-op(and of course I hadn't slept in a day or two) I went into chat and those wonderful ladies calmed me down and had me laughing in 15 minutes. I felt so much better, and much more calm. Try that, Mongie, to help you stay calm.
Prayers of Peace floating to all of you LIW.
FlossBoss/Molly
Unread 09-20-2002, 11:46 AM
5 Days to go

Thanks so much for those encouraging posts. I have 5 more days to go and am having a TAH/BSO. I am so tired of people asking me if I am pregnant or how many months pregnant am I. Yes, I am getting so nervous now for my surgery. ....

Kathie
9/24
Unread 09-20-2002, 12:16 PM

Oh Arly ,

It's so nice to hear that you are doing well. Three weeks already! May the rest of your recovery be uneventful. Good of you to post for the LIW...I know it helps so much.

I know you're being good too,

Maralyn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register