Post Op Pain, How long is "normal" ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Op Pain, How long is "normal" ? Post Op Pain, How long is "normal" ?

Unread 01-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Post Op Pain, How long is "normal" ?

Hello.

I had my surgery on the 24th. I am doing pretty well but I am still having pain when I don't take any of my pain meds. I am having a bit of anxiety because my Dr. only gave me enough for 1 week. I am afraid that I will need them well into week 2 and that he won't want to refill them.

I know I can always try to primary Dr. but I don't want them to think I am addicted or drug seeking. I don't know it is just something I have always worried about.

Thank you so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Re: Post Op Pain, How long is "normal" ?

I think most doctors expect and don't mind refilling your pain pill script at least once after surgery. I called for a refill, and requested going to Lortab from Percocet and got a script for 30 and 1 refill.
Unread 01-29-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylee78 View Post
I think most doctors expect and don't mind refilling your pain pill script at least once after surgery. I called for a refill, and requested going to Lortab from Percocet and got a script for 30 and 1 refill.
Thank you for your reply. I don't know why I stress about it I am just a baby when it comes to pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2012, 10:18 PM

Honey, you are not a baby. Your only five days out of major surgery. Tell your DR and get a refill. I posted this exact thing at six days out and I got the reply I'm giving you now. Rest and take care, this takes time : )
Unread 01-30-2012, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharona19 View Post
Honey, you are not a baby. Your only five days out of major surgery. Tell your DR and get a refill. I posted this exact thing at six days out and I got the reply I'm giving you now. Rest and take care, this takes time : )

Thank you, Sometimes I forget it's major surgery and I feel like everyone expects me to be up and doing everything by now (husband, kids). I fully planned on being out of commission for 3 full weeks before the surgery but it's like everyone is trying to make me feel badly about it. My kids are all taking this opportunity to act like they can behave anyway they want to. My husband works nights and tonight was his first night back to work.

Sorry for the venting, I am a bit stressed out and annoyed right now.
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:12 AM

Hello, im very sorry to here your still having post op pain. Its very normal to have post op pain especially after it being only a few days after surgery. I completely understand the feeling of being rushed into recovery. I tried to rush myself in to recovery because im a busy body and felt lazy but its pivotal to your recovery to take it easy and listen to your body which is telling you its not ready to jump back in full speed yet. Im not trying to scare you because everyones situations are different. But I had my surgery in January 2011 abd due to some issues that are unknown at this time im still having problems that require medication. But im sure you will start feeling a little better in no time then you can pick up tight where you left off! =)Try to keep positive and I hope you feel better.
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:28 AM

I was sure two weeks would be plenty for me. If forced to, I could have gone back to my desk job part time at two weeks but it would have been a struggle. At three weeks, I began to feel normal but still tired easily. I have no children, so I can't imagine that aspect of recovery. I do know that we, as women, are extraordinarily hard on ourselves when it comes to caregiving. We are the ones who take care of well, everything and when we can't, it's a hard pill to swallow. I had a massive meltdown at about 10 days because my husband yelled at me for folding laundry. I felt I'd lost control of everything. Letting that out actually helped me. It let my hub know that I could still do small tasks which gave me my purpose back. You must rest now because you can't redo your recovery. Please take care. The time will pass and you'll be back and feeling great! Really : )
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:38 AM

I used tylenol extra strength for pain and advil for swelling. Have you tried these over the counters? They helped me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register