Nauseous after every meal..normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nauseous after every meal..normal? Nauseous after every meal..normal?

Unread 08-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Nauseous after every meal..normal?

UGH! Every time I eat a meal or even a snack I am so nauseous I don"t even want to eat but obviously have to. Is this happening to anyone else? I am 10 days post op
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Re: Nauseous after every meal..normal?

I didn't experience that 10 days after but I certainly did for 2 days after. I had to be on anit-nausea meds. Perhaps your body is still working out all the anesthesia and pain meds. Are you still taking heavy pain meds? That might do it too. Just drink lots of water to flush your system...this too shall pass.
Unread 08-21-2010, 03:45 PM

It will get better I was the same way.. the smallest amount would make me feel very full and would get nausea. It takes time your body has been thru alot and everything moved around.. hang in there, the good you will feel after all this is behind u is all worth it. I have never felt so good in my life..hang in there, you will return to normal, just takes time and patience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2010, 04:27 PM

I have the same issue if I wait too long between meals. A light snack in between has helped a lot. I also eat crackers a few minutes before taking any pain meds.
Unread 08-21-2010, 11:58 PM

I wasn't nauseous really but I found I could only eat much smaller meals to be full, and if I had more, it caused discomfort and a little pain at times but not nausea. I still am not eating as much usually (at 12 1/2 weeks post). Some days I'll feel hungrier and eat more, but generally, with swelly belly, I don't feel like swellin' it any more than it is, lol. I'm unemployed now, too, so feel I have to eat less anyway. The nausea could very well be the anesthesia meds, (my mom had told me they can take a few weeks to clear out of your system, they are strong stuff). Pain meds, too, as others had said.

Give it another week or two, and you'll probably feel better. Drink lots of water and munching on just a few crackers throughout the day to give your stomach something to do, might feel better. There are some good whole grain options out there and you get fiber, too. It just takes time and each part of this process affects you somehow. Each will pass.

If snacks bother you, maybe something like fruit juice or smoothie would help, being a healthy liquid and if you just have a little, at least you're getting some nutrition. I like the Bolthouse Farms smoothies in the juice section at the grocery store. They have lots of fruit and vitamins in them and good healing nutrition. They cost a little more but are so worth it to have the first month or so while you're healing. Or make your own if you have a blender. Berries are rich in nutrients, like blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, mix in varying combinations with bananas and apples, too. Yum and energy-giving! The Bolthouse ones I would pour on the rocks in a glass, or drink out of the bottle! But I bet they'd be great on a hot day with some ice in the blender (I have GOT to get a blender!).

Hang in there, as Eileen said, this, too, shall pass! Hope you feel better!
Unread 08-22-2010, 07:14 AM

I had it for 7 days post-op. I would only eat the slightest bit so I could take my meds. I stuck with soft bland food. Pasta, cereal, jello......
I am now just over 3 weeks post-opand do feel it once in a while if I have ben out of the house for more than a couple hours. Just too much on my body I guess.
Unread 08-22-2010, 12:47 PM

Thanks to everyone! I love the fact that I don't feel alone anymore in this unfamiliar territory and new venture! I really appreciate the support too!
Unread 08-23-2010, 09:17 PM

I am so glad I found this post. I thought I was going crazy.. I have been sick to my stomach since surgery. I have been eating lightly and mostly broth. I am glad to know there is alight at the end of the tunnel.
Unread 08-24-2010, 08:49 AM

Definitely call for the anit-nausea meds! My daughter (who just became an RN in July - Yay!) did this for me (well, called the Dr. and made him do it) on my Day 4 when she came over and saw me actually in tears because I couldn't eat a simple piece of bread which I was trying to do knowing that the pain meds would cause WORSE nausea on an empty stomach. That night I ate my first real meal and IT WAS GREAT!

And another tip: get some whey protien powder. Apparently our bodies need lots of protein while healing so this is short cut to acheive that. I got the chocolate kind and my DH put it in the blender with milk and sometimes a spoonful of peanut butter and/or 1/2 banana. Do this twice a day if you're not eating. When I could actually eat again I found myself craving things like eggs & steak, which I generally eat rarely. Protein powers have 17-20 grams of protein and you really need to be getting about 100 grams/day so the rest from food, milk, etc.

When he went back to work on Day 8, I found myself so drained that morning I was lucky to make it to the kitchen at all! No energy to drag out the blender so I just put a scoop in a glass of water and drank it that way. Didn't disolve well and tasted rather flat, but got it into me!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register