Recovery Room - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Room Recovery Room

Unread 03-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Re: Recovery Room

The usual rule is no one apart from patients and staff are allowed in recovery (or pre-op either) BUT if you feel you need to have someone with you talk to your doctors (anaesthetist) about it. They can OK it. My mum suffers fro, panic attacks and the disorder is exacerbated by anaesthetic drugs. I go with her into pre-op on the pretext that without her glasses she won't be able to verify her identity or sign her consent forms (and I hold her 'power of attorney' so I can sin for her). She always asks that I be called to recovery as soon as she is out of surgery. When the staff expresses reluctance, she explains that she'll come up in a panic and is likely to tear out drips and drains. I also smile sweetly and say, "I think you'll find her easier to manage if I am there." The usual answer is, "I don't think it will be possible." and I just say "I'll be in the hospital if you need me. You have my mobile number." I always get the call.
cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2011, 02:48 PM

My mom and boyfriend were allowed back in pre op. That, I guess, depends on hospital. My hospital had separate" rooms" for patients.
Unread 03-06-2011, 02:59 PM

My DH was allowed in pre op. In recovery, no one was allowed, but that was okay, as I was not there for very long.

when my 11yr old son had surgery at a different hospital, they let me in recovery.
Unread 03-06-2011, 04:02 PM

My Husband was not allowed in the recovery room and he got to see me when I was taken to the room. They had to wait for a room so I was in recovery longer and very awake when I was taken to the room. All I remember about the recovery room is being thirsty and asking anyone who got near for water - they gave me ice. That was ok.
Unread 03-06-2011, 04:13 PM

The last thing I remember is the nurse saying they were going to wheel me into surgery. I said Okay, told my husband goodbye-- and the next things I knew it was hours later and I was in my room, dh trying valiantly to stay awake-- it was after midnight. Rolled into surgery about 5.
Unread 03-06-2011, 05:13 PM

Nobody in recovery room- I wasn't there too long though- I "came to" pretty quickly and was alert and eating ice chips pretty fast- so they got me up to a room and my hubby and dad got there right after me!

Amy
LAVH- 1/31/2011
Unread 03-06-2011, 09:17 PM

Call the hospital and see if they have a pre-op "what should I expect" info packet. The day I met with my doctors to discuss my upcoming procedure, they made sure I had that, so I know that my partner will not be with me in the recovery room, but will be in my room afterwards. I know what I should bring, etc -- it helps the nerves a little. My procedure is 3/24/11 -- wish me luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register