My hysterectomy is TOMORROW! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My hysterectomy is TOMORROW! My hysterectomy is TOMORROW!

Unread 03-06-2011, 07:25 AM
My hysterectomy is TOMORROW!

Hi! My name is Toni and I am having my hysterectomy tomorrow. I wish I would have known about this site, sooner.

I am very concerned about my procedure, because my doctor tells me they just got new equipment for a less intrusive surgery and it'll be her first time using it (uh...that sort of freaked me out). I am having a hysterectomy (abdominal) that will be HOPEFULLY done with no scar above the pelvic. It will be done through three holes in my lower ab.

I am nervous enough about the surgery and I know she has to start somewhere and use the equipment on someone. Just not sure if I want it to be me. I guess I'll leave that in God's hands.

My main concern is how I will feel afterwards. I am keeping my ovaries and requested to not have the vaginal removal because I wanted to keep my cervix. I am a very active person and am concerned about how long it will be before I should start working out, also. I know the recovery period is a two week period. But, no sex for six weeks. So, should I wait six weeks before working out again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Re: My hysterectomy is TOMORROW!

I had mine done via Davinci, kept ovaries and removed cervix.I got rid of the cervix because in my Gyn's patient group it doesn't make a physical difference one way or another, expect if you keep it you could get fibroids again. I was walking a mile within one week. Up to 3 miles within 2 weeks. I've been hitting the 5 miles mark this week.

No impact workouts,weights, or riding a bike for 6 weeks is what I was told.

The first 3-4 days are the hardest, then it gets better. Just start slow and let your body decided it's pace. Your brain and your body have different ideas after the operation. LOL
Unread 03-06-2011, 07:44 AM

Well, I have heard that it does make a difference to have the cervix removed and I want to keep mine. My mother experienced numbness for up to a year and we are a lot alike and I don't want to take that chance. I have psychological fears about my sex life changing, DRASTICALLY. I know it will change slightly without my uterus. But, I can't handle the "numbness" thought...lol. Besides, my hubby would miss my cervix and I don't want to chance the "vaginal shortening", because it is short enough and that would just make things worse! lol...

I do appreciate the info on when I should start working out again. I do a lot of weight training and really needed THAT info. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2011, 03:32 PM

Hi Toni,
I understand your worries. I had laparoscopic surgery-minimal invasive hysterectomy- in early December 2010. It all went well and I have minimal scars. I work in fitness and was worried for how long I won't be able to teach & work out myself. My doc gave me green light after 2 weeks, however I didn't get started for another two weeks because I just didn't feel ready. I have increased my workout program since then slowly and steadily and it's going well. However I feel when I'm overdoing it. Take it easy, it all needs time to heal- . You will need the rest- Good luck with your surgery- you'll be fine- it's not that bad- I was very nervous before and besides a little discomfort I suffered more from the side effects of the anasthesia(makes me nauseous) than the actually surgery.Really!
Keep us posted,
Hugs!
Azur
Unread 03-06-2011, 04:26 PM

Toni, I know it's hard, but have faith. We were all scared too. I don't blame you for being nervous about being a guinea pig so to speak-then again, there could be an upside here. I mean, they know it's new, so they won't be laid back or blase- they could be extra careful with you.
I'd talk to the doc about exercise, but as for sex, I did not keep my cervix, and my sex life is okay. Good luck to you!
Unread 03-06-2011, 04:30 PM

My surgery is tomorrow, too, but my doc told me I could start biking at 2 weeks! I thought that was a bit optimistic, but sheesh -- six weeks? There is no way I will keep away from the bike that long. And I have read other things on the net that say I can ride sooner, as long as I take it easy.

Everyone is different, though. I just constantly say 'I'll see how I feel.' And consult with your doctor on adding new things as you go along is probably wise. Otherwise I can't see turning into a couch potato for 4-6 weeks. I need the weight training, too, for upper body(I use small hand weights), or I lose muscle too quickly. Not sure when I'll be able to add that, but once I'm fully rested and feeling perky again, I'm going to try!
Unread 03-06-2011, 04:45 PM

Hi Everyone, so glad I found this site. I am also having my hysterectomy tomorrow morning. They are doing a total Laperoscopy vaginal assisted Hyster. I am 60 yrs old, a busy horsewoman and Hospice nurse and in great health. I recently was in alot of pain in my pelvic area and bowels. They discovered a 5cm mass on right ovary. Dr thinks it ruptured.. Ct scan looks clear of cancer though. My surgeon says it's better to get rid of all these female organs for less risk down the road since left ovary is acting up and I'm 60 now. I have never had a cyst in my life or any problems other than heavy bleeding before menopause.
I am nervous also but I know it will be all over soon and all you can do is take one day at a time and not worry about what might happen. I've been praying to God everyday to give me strength to get thru each Dr's appt, tests and now surgery. It calms me down. Good luck and have faith.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register