New w/Fibroid | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New w/Fibroid New w/Fibroid

Unread 01-31-2004, 02:16 PM
New w/Fibroid

Hi,
This is a great website. I'm overwhelmed by all the info on hysterectomies on the web. I just can't read it all or understand it all.
Anyway, I have been bleeding everyday since the beginning of Dec. Dr. found fibroid in Sept. I had decided on the "wait and see" approach. But, since the bleeding, my Dr. has suggested a hysterectomy. She can do it vaginal. I just want to be sure that I'm making the right choice. I've read alot of negative things about hysterectomies. But, also, I have talked with alot of other women who say how great they feel since they had one.
Another issue is we are a "self pay" family. Dr. is giving me a good discount. We are working with the hospital. They don't want to give me much of a discount. Looking into taking out a loan for the surgery. It's crazy!
Another thing--what do some of the Hystersisters codes mean.
I figured that Castle is hospital. What is HR? and someothers.
Thanks for letting me ramble on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2004, 07:02 PM
New w/Fibroid

Hi lovescats,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!!

I think you're wise to look at whether there are any alternatives available to you, especially since you would be self-pay. Have you gotten more than one opinion about the need for a hyst? If not, and if your surgery doesn't need to be done because of a life-threatening reason, please don't make your decision based upon just one opinion.

Hyster Sisters has a resource database with lots of information about fibroids, and possible alternatives:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...n=browse&cid=2

You'll find several links to alternative methods of treating fibroids, and may find a much less invasive, much less expensive treatment option for you.

If you do decide that a hyst is right for you, maybe you could find out how much the UCR (usual and customary) rate is in your area for a vaginal hyst. Then ask the doctors and hospital to allow you to pay only that amount, not the higher rate that they bill.
Several years ago our daughter needed surgery and was uninsured, and every provider agreed to accept the UCR only. It made quite a difference.

You also asked about the Hyster Sister abbreviations. HR stands for Hormone Therapy - some others are listed here:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/vie...=abbreviations

I'm glad that you found us, and hope that you will continue to read, research and post your questions.

s
Unread 02-01-2004, 11:13 AM
New w/Fibroid

Hi Lovescats!

Only you know when you have had enough and are ready to end the problems with the bleeding.
I had an LAVH on 1/13/04 because of longterm bleeding (47 straight days) caused by a fibroid and a polyp. Many smaller fibroids were found afterwards. At 45 with 3 children and my husband having had a vasectomy years ago we knew we were done having children.
When I started bleeding heavy and long it affected my mental state daily. It depressed me. I didn't have lots of pain like some women, but when the hysterectomy became an option I was relieved.
The operation and recovery has been very easy for me. I'm sure I was lucky because this is a major surgery in which things may and often do not go according to plan. I think either the LAVH or the TVH is easier on the body than a full abdominal hysterectomy (TAH) based on reading this website.
Your doctor will help you decide which option is right for your situation. You can read the pre-op boards for info about whether you want to keep your ovaries and/or cervix. I also liked webmd.com and mayoclinic.com.
Some women mistakenly associate having no uterus as making them less of a woven. This simply is not so. If your appendix was causing you major problems would you want to have it removed?
Hope this helps you.
Jody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2004, 03:20 PM
New w/Fibroid

Thanks Karen for that Dr. in CA website. It really was easy to understand. After looking at everything, it looks like a hysterectomy is a good option for me. The other choices seem like temporary fixes. I'm okay with it. We don't want any more children. Both of ours will be in college this fall. Yippeee!
Lisa
Unread 02-01-2004, 03:27 PM
New w/Fibroid

Jody, it sounds like we have about the same symptoms.
Did you have the "swelly belly" that I've read about here?
What is LAVH?
Thank you for your personal experience.
Lisa
Unread 02-02-2004, 10:11 AM
New w/Fibroid

Hi Lovescats!
LAVH is laproscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy. My doctor didn't want to do a TVH (total vaginal hysterectomy) because I have had two c-sections and another major abdominal surgery. She needed the ability to see her field of surgery in case I had problems with adhesions/scarring from the previous surgeries. If you can avoid the total abdominal hysterectomy I think you'll find you have an easier time of recovery. I still needed to be treated like a princess and take it easy, but my incisions are so much smaller that the recovery wasn't too bad. I'm just adding activities back in as I'm able.
I did have the swelly belly at first so I recommend buying underwear at least one size larger to be worn until the swelling goes down. Also wear super comfy loose clothes to the hospital and afterwards too. My swelly belly went away pretty quickly, about 17 days. I could tell that my belly started to be smaller in the morning and would "grow" as the day wore on. The more I did the more swelling I seemed to have.
We are all different in our surgeries and our recoveries, so continue to educate yourself about hysterectomies and what you can do to maximize your chances of a good recovery.
Let me know if you have more q's for me. Read the pre-op articles too, they are great!
A second opinion on whether you really need the hysterectomy and which type you will need is a great idea, lovescats. It would be money well spent.

Jody
Unread 02-02-2004, 10:27 AM
New w/Fibroid

Lovescats-

Self pay *****. You may want to think about investigating taking part in a clinical trial or academic/medical experiment. Some teaching hospitals offer services for free if you meet their qualifications.

BJ

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register